Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)
Default Multiplex Pilatus PC-6

Another 'couldn't resist' purchase. An uncommon plane made by the reputable Multiplex, I thought is a can't miss plane. (I should have taken some of my own photos, but didn't think of it. Got some time to write this so I'll just link one of their pics!)

This plane comes very complete, rx ready. The only assembly required is attaching the landing gear, h-stab, wings, prop, and rx! So all you kit builders stay away! Should have been so easy, but there were a few hiccups along the way that surprised me for being from MPX.
First, one of the hinges at the top of a gear strut was glued! I separated it easily enough, but how did that get in there?
Next, the pushrods use those barrels with a set screw to hold the pushrod, and my good quality screwdrivers could not tighten the elevator one enough without slipping. Had to carefully grab the barrel and screw head with pliers and tighten that way.
The flap servos are installed mirrored, like aileron servos, so you need a reversing y-harness or put them on separate channels. I went with a 7 channel rx, for independent control of both the flaps and ailerons.
Lastly, like the Multiplex Mentor, rx and battery placement aren't ideal. You have this cavernous space within the fuselage, but the only openings are the magnetic hatches for the tail servos under the tail, and the battery hatch, forward of the windshield. And the instructions just say to fish all the servo leads out the battery hatch, connect them to your rx, then use the supplied velcro to attach it under the wing behind the windshield. You need some looooong fingers for this! Plus, the rx I used also has a remote rx, so one went on the side and one as they suggested. Anyway, I've seen over at RCG and on some youtube videos where people have put their rx in the aft servo compartment or were able to slip it into a slot in the belly, an air exit I believe. So it takes a little creativity here. And unless you get a little extra creative, you won't be removing the wings for transport. But with a 49" wingspan that shouldn't be an issue.
I put the included (looks like an) APC 11x5.5 prop on my magnetic balancer before installation, and I couldn't have balanced it better! Though the supplied prop adapter and spinner didn't appear to be the greatest quality, everything runs super smooth. I'll probably find a nice 3 blade spinner and prop for a more scale look.
So, the final result is a nice looking bird, though I peeled a couple of the (I think) excessive stickers. All the paint and stickers were pre-applied so you don't even have anything to do there! Although they included some funky flame stickers I think are meant for coming from the exhausts. They won't be getting used on my plane! Would be nice (like many foamies) if it was offered just white with no stickers. There are so many options for color schemes.
So how does she fly? I got 2 flights in a few days ago, and 4 more this morning. She is very sport plane-like. Not a beginners plane! Like the full scale PC-6, she can really leap from the runway, and can slow down a lot with those flaps at 90 degrees. I found the flaps on this plane to be very effective, and a need for down elevator programmed in, unlike all my other flap equipped models. With half flaps and a quick burst of throttle, I don't think the tires even got one rotation before she was up and away! There is plenty of power, enough for hovering! She can do quite a few aerobatic maneuvers. Probably more than I'm capable of!
Floats are made for this plane as well, but they are out of stock at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on them before our club's October float fly.
So despite the assembly issues, I really enjoy this plane and would recommend it. Probably a similar option to the ParkZone Sport Cub, though I've flown that too, and the Pilatus is definitely sportier. Hope you enjoyed my impromptu review!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Porcia83

Friends: (1)

Love the look of this plane...not a bad deal from Tower with their coupon and free shipping. Thanks for the write up, post some pics if you can.

This begs for the float kit too!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

No problem. I've got a couple of 3 blade props on order and a spinner I'm gonna try out. I'll get some pics for sure then.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

The Master Airscrew 3 blade props arrived at the LHS, and I got a 2" Du-Bro 3 blade spinner to go with. The spinner is pretty heavy, like a nitro engine one, but I haven't found a light weight one yet. The props are 10x5x3 and 10x7x3, trying to replace the stock APC-clone-looking 11x5.5. One bad thing is the plane has no esc or motor manual. With some help, I found the esc manual online, but I had no luck with the motor. So I emailed Multiplex, and their answer was that it 'should be similar' to a motor he linked to on HobbyKing. It lists a max rating of 32A. So with a freshly charged (For each run) 3s, 2200mah, 30-40c lipo, the stock prop maxed out at 31.2, the 10x5x3 at 28.9A, and the 10x7x3 at 36.2A. I'm going to try out the 10x5x3 tomorrow. The spinner and prop look great on it!

Here's a few pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 blade.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	177375Click image for larger version

Name:	3 blade.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	177376Click image for larger version

Name:	3 blade top.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	177377Click image for larger version

Name:	nose hatch.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	177378Click image for larger version

Name:	tail access.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	177379

Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well the 10x5x3 prop flew great! Sounds great, too! Like a little turboprop. It might be slower by a hair, but I can't notice it. It's still way faster than scale speed. I must say this is a fun plane. The half flap setting provides lots of lift, and the full flap setting lots of drag. So the takeoffs at half flap are just almost instant leaps into the sky, and the landings at full flaps are cool, having to point the nose down and keep a little power on, driving it down until you flare. And unlike my other flap equipped planes, this one can do it in the wind. I highly recommend it.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Porcia83

Friends: (1)

Video...or it didn't happen!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Lol! You're right. Next time I'm flying, I'll get it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft