Great idea! Not only limitless battery power but weight saving too if you remove the cell within the camera! I bought a HK 720P wing cam back in November butsince then the weather hasn't been very good to say the least. Managed to get one battery through my Wot4 Foamie on Sunday morning and I'm hoping this weekend will be nice enough to fly. I'll certainly bear this idea in mind for the future.
Dynamic S, Swizzle Stick, HK Mini Spirit, EHawk 1500, Flying Wings Mini Raven, FT Versa Wing, HK WingWing, F550 Hexacopter
yeah the batteries are the real 'Achilles heel' of these #11 keychains. I've replaced the battery in mine but i still only get about 10 minutes or so before that annoying beeping sound starts.
So I take it the camera can draw from the charge port AND record at the same time? i thought it might be 'one or the other'
PS.. Dave, Not sure you could remove the battery that easily because the batteries in these cams have little voltage reduction boards on them which takes the 5V USB voltage and drops it to LiPo friendly 4.2V. Without that board in place you might expose the camera to the full 5+V, which may (or may not) be a problem.
To answer my own question, it was all there on the ebay listing:
Whatís special about this new 808 #16 camera?
1. A connector added for the internal battery, making it changeable by users who donít like soldering. You donít have to throw your camera away when the battery dies. You just need a new battery and change it!
2. A connector added to the lens/sensor module, make it possible to replace or upgrade it when new module's available.
3. New Lens and totally new circuit board design. You will see below improvements in video:
- Overall sharpness: improved
- White balance control / color shifting issue: improved
- Saturation / and contrast boost issue: colors look much more natural now
- Darker corner/edge vignetting issue: improved
4. Low battery buzzing artifact in video -Gone!
5. You only need one Standard USB Data cable for charging and data exchange with your computer. You donít need another special charging cable to record videos while charging. Just one cable is OK.
6. It supports audio volume control, and you can even get it mute to save battery and helps to increase the recording time when the audio is not needed, it can be set by TXT config tool.
7. It supports optional Loop Recording, it can be set by TXT config tool.
8. You can set the date and time (white much smaller on the lower left corner), and toggle the date/time stamp on or off, by TXT config tool.
9. Sometimes you may donít want 720P recording to save battery and memory card capacity, now you can toggle video output frame size from 1280x720 30fps (default), to 848x480 30fps, or 640x480 30fps.
10. Optional AVI output: we also have another firmware option available which will output .AVI file format, using the same H.264 codec, and it offers seamless recording (there is no lost video between clips). If you need it, please send a message to us, and we will send it to you by email.
11. And more. Please find more details in the PDF manual. And of course on RC Forum Tom Frankís great thread, you will find lots of helpful information there.
I got this one few weeks ago, http://www.szswill.com/car-camera-hd...mera-d310.html , shipped from China, with 32GB cards records over 6 hours HD1080 in short cycles 3-5 min; can use 128 or even 256 GB cards; this is great in low light, lots of features, external gps, shows position speed. sharp but doesn't have IR.
Before this I used another one (I still have it), it records in total darkness, has 6 IR illuminators, but doesn't have range , the IR doen't work well through windshield, won't record record nothing beyond headlights range during night and way lower quality during day and low light. I was trying to buy larger IR illuminator, the kind they use for security and try if gets better night range, but all are powered by 110V, and I wouldn't keep my power invertor running nonstop for dash cam.