Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #51
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

At the end of the day ... as Denny says - We want to switch on and know it will work. QED.

Second - whether it be AHFSSS, F whatever and DS whatever ........ Spektrum, Airtronics, FlySky, FrSky, HiTec, Futaba, JR, or whatever ... it works.
They all have later version rejection systems that work fine with a busload of flyers all on at same time ... that's the important bit.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #52
Karnsy

Friends: (0)

You know what ?!
I think I will stay with my DX6i for now. I only run 6 channels, yea a bigger and lit screen would be nicer but I'm good for now. I think I will put my $$$ somewhere else. Hmmmmmmmmmm..... let's seeeeeeee......
Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #53
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
And also the "A" in HiTecs AFHSS system?
Adaptive.

Hitec actually has a mode where it moves away from areas of the band that are busiest. Pretty slick.

Mike
Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #54
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by Karnsy View Post
You know what ?!
I think I will stay with my DX6i for now. I only run 6 channels, yea a bigger and lit screen would be nicer but I'm good for now. I think I will put my $$$ somewhere else. Hmmmmmmmmmm..... let's seeeeeeee......
I've heard of aftermarket lcd light kits for the 6i. Should find them with Google.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #55
Karnsy

xmech2k,
I have seen those. Not sure I am ready to try installing one.
I did do a throttle shut off switch replacing the button but that was easy.
Is there a difference between the ones for $50 as to the ones for $12 ?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #56
propnut48

Club: Never joined one as of yet
Send a message via Skype™ to propnut48
Friends: (2)

I have too many radios now but I may buy a later Spectrum dsmx so I can fly some of the bnf planes. I have the Tactic planes covered and 3 Airtronics rd's, which I love and want to get some Spectrum bnf too. That way I'll have it all the "spectrum" , so to speak, covered. Yuck yuck
Old 06-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #57
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I say just go with the 9x or 9xr, toss in a module and you can go with the BNF planes from Spektrum. If the Orange module wasn't around, I wouldn't be going with the UMX stuff. It's one thing to pay 200 for a little plane, but another at least 200 for a radio, yikes.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #58
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Karnsy View Post
xmech2k,
I have seen those. Not sure I am ready to try installing one.
I did do a throttle shut off switch replacing the button but that was easy.
Is there a difference between the ones for $50 as to the ones for $12 ?
Sorry I really don't know anything about them except they exist. It wasn't an issue for me, so I didn't look into it. Now I recently sold my 6i.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #59
propnut48

It would be nice if the TX manufacturers had a pre-setup program for planes so all we would need to do is just adjust the parameters for the plane , such as direction,EPA, dual rate , etc. That's why I kinda like the Airtronics RD's which have the ability to go to a separate section and turn on/ shut off the mixes and pre-programmed. You start with a basic setup and can go from there in the advanced section.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #60
propnut48

I'm looking at the DX6 and was wondering if anyone has played with it and how easy is it to program?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #61
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by propnut48 View Post
It would be nice if the TX manufacturers had a pre-setup program for planes so all we would need to do is just adjust the parameters for the plane , such as direction,EPA, dual rate , etc. That's why I kinda like the Airtronics RD's which have the ability to go to a separate section and turn on/ shut off the mixes and pre-programmed. You start with a basic setup and can go from there in the advanced section.
er9x and OpenTx have set-ups posted online ... relevant to those radios that can be flashed to that firmware ...

er9x also has templates already written into the software for those who want a base to work from.

Trouble with factory programming - is too many models don't quite fit the 'mould' ... so you'd end up spending more time modifying a set-up that is at best a compromise instead of setting up what the model really needs.

Unfortunately todays radios are like PC games - you need to learn how to use them... to learn the rules and controls.
People say one radio is easier than another ... but that is usually because they are used to that particularly radio format. And it is usually true like anything else - the simpler it is to program - the simpler the programming capability - ie you do not have the extensive capability that others have.

I know someone will argue that last point - but that's my opinion.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #62
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I'm looking at the DX6 and was wondering if anyone has played with it and how easy is it to program?
If its anywhere close to the Spektrum DX8, programming was easy.

FYI, I programmed a giant scale model with dual aileron servos, dual flap servos, dual elevator servos, single rudder servo, and throttle control with the gear switch as a "Throttle Kill" switch.

The DX8 showed the whole model setup in picture form with the wing and its aileron/flaps, along with the elevator and its dual servos, all on its LCD display. Just select the model with the above functions, and the DX8 automatically assigned servos. Add to that, all the subtrims that allowed precise centering and throw of each of the wing and elevator servos. Then, did the triple rates, and expo settings. Didn't even need the manual.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #63
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

What are you familiar with? If it matters, I guess the new Dx6, dx9, and the different Dx18's have such similar programming, over at RCG, they lumped them into one thread!I worked my way up from the 5e, 6i, 8, and now have the Dx18g2. Having been with Spektrum so long, it was an easy jump, though there are some differences from the 8 to the 18. To me, it's mostly easy and intuitive, with only some things leaving me scratching my head, but there is that RCG forum to fall back on, where an extremely patient and knowledgeable company rep, Andy Kunz(Who has been known to pop up here as well.) , and someone (Freechip) who is also patient and is just a brainiac with the Spektrums help us out.

Yes, I'll do the dirty work and do as Nigel says and disagree with him! I don't believe a tx has to be hard to program to be useful and do amazing things!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #64
propnut48

I have Futaba, (4) Airtronics, (7)Tactic, JR, Hitec and several oddball FM and 2.4Ghz TX's, Have set up friends Spektrums for them so I'm fairly used to them. A little different but usable once I got to play with them. I just didn't want too many different technologies to deal with. I'm already losing too much hair now.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #65
propnut48

I had an old Ace radio ALONG time ago with a synthesized module and could change the FM freq. to any ch. I just had to turn a dashpot on the TX and the RX to the same ch. It was really easy to set the throws as all I had to do was move the stick to the desired deflection and hit a button. It could be set for a lot of up and very little down and could be set the same way for dual rates that way also. For Flaps The elevator stick was used to set the throw for the different switch settings. It had switches for the reverse directions.VERY EASY to set up.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #66
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The fact is - what people get used to ...

Put a Spektrum in my hands and I will struggle with it. Put a 9x in my hands and I'll set it up in minutes.

Put a 9x in the hands of a Spektrum user and he'll struggle with it.

It's what you are used to.

I've now obtained a couple of 9xr's ... with er9x firmware. So I am in learning mode again. My 9x's were left stock as that was good enough for all my uses.

Once I get used to er9x ... I'm back on the road again with a system I'm happy with ... and it's considerable capability.

Nigel

Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #67
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The fact is - what people get used to ...

Put a Spektrum in my hands and I will struggle with it. Put a 9x in my hands and I'll set it up in minutes.

Put a 9x in the hands of a Spektrum user and he'll struggle with it.

It's what you are used to.

I've now obtained a couple of 9xr's ... with er9x firmware. So I am in learning mode again. My 9x's were left stock as that was good enough for all my uses.

Once I get used to er9x ... I'm back on the road again with a system I'm happy with ... and it's considerable capability.

Nigel
Hi Nigel
Here is how the Spektrum DX8 is set up with dual servos for ailerons and flaps, along with dual servos for elevator. To program, just scroll through the various wing setups. Example, one aileron servo, or two aileron servos, one flap or two flap servos, and so on.

Once you've selected the setup to match your model, the DX8 automatically assigns servos for each of the functions. Plus all the usual sub-trims, zero adjust, control servo triple rates, expo and so on.

I'm not familiar with the 9xr's. How does this compare to the 9xr?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX8 Wing Setup - WF.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	175902 Four Servo Aileron/Flap Setup
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX8 Tail Setup - WF.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	175903 Two Servo Elevator One Servo Rudder Setup

DennyV
Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #68
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Denny - to be honest - the two are worlds apart ... and I have not enough experience of either to comment further specifically.

I am still getting to grips with er9x.

Templates / pre-programmed set-ups are great as long as you are with standard set-ups. er9x and similar are designed more for the assignability, capability side of things. The unusual in fact. It is a real learning curve and one that so far I've found needs dedication and a lot of help. But once you see the experts with it - the programming takes on incredible levels.

That's the difference as I see it. I have models that templates do not fit .. or at least templates that I have seen ... and read about.

It really comes down to what user has used and is happy with, to what he wants to do with it ... and I know in my case .. I have to budget because not only am I modelling - but also still rebuilding my house and re-doing 3.5 acres of garden ! Money is therefore a serious matter.

Nigel

Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #69
propnut48

I was looking at the hitec 9X as it will run their 2.4Ghz , SLT (Tactic) and FM (PPM) RX's but the cost kinda choked me a bit
. Had everything I wanted, but money is tight.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #70
Karnsy

I guess for me it comes down to what I want to do with a radio.
I know how to use the DX6i very well for both my helis and all my planes.
I set all my expo's and flap settings, high and low rates. I guess the planes I fly go fine with the settings this TX gives me. I have been flying only a little over a year so I do not do any 3D I just do the typical stunts...inverted, rolls, loops, Cuban 8, etc so I guess I am to inexperienced to feel like I need a lot more than the 6i will give. I really was thinking a bigger and lighted screen might be nice but do I need it ? not really ! I am feeling like to many more options just starts to complicate things more than I need for right now at least.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #71
propnut48

Any yah or nah on the dx7 or 8?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #72
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Any yah or nah on the dx7 or 8?
First, there is a Dx7, an older tx I understand was aimed at the heli crowd and some said challenging to program, and there is the Dx7s, little brother and very similar to the Dx8. That said, they are almost identical except for the extra channel and probably some other minor things. I have a Dx8, and helped a buddy setting up a plane with a 7s, and it seemed identical to me. I honestly don't have experience with other brands so I can't compare, but I never had any issue with my Dx8, and I think the only time I had to resort to the forums to figure something out was setting up throttle cut for electrics.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #73
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

I was looking at the hitec 9X as it will run their 2.4Ghz , SLT (Tactic) and FM (PPM) RX's but the cost kinda choked me a bit
. Had everything I wanted, but money is tight.
Just joining the chat.

First the Hitec Aurora 9X does not support 72 MHz PPM, the Aurora 9 does.

Looking at how many radios you have I would think a modern 2.4 Ghz radio would be a breath of fresh air.

* No more pos shift/neg shift, PPM, PCM concerns

* One radio to manage dozens or even hundreds of models.

* No more frequency control concerns

* A growing community of compatible receivers

* Prices keep dropping and features are exploding

Sure, it is a new language and that always makes things confusing but heck that is part of what makes it fun. And the real joy is you don't have to change to anything new. All your 72 MHz stuff works fine. And with all everyone moving to 2.4 you have less and less of a chance of someone being on your channel.

So, enjoy the radios you have and ignore the new stuff. Nothing is forcing you to change.

Many of the BnF and TX-R type planes also come in PnP versions where you can put your current 72 MHz receivers in and go fly.

There has never been a better time to be in RC flying whether you prefer, gliders, electrics, glow, gas, or a variety of copters. The range of choices is huge.

Oh, but I recall from your first message that you don't like all the choices. Sorry about that.

Clear skies and safe flying.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #74
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
First, there is a Dx7, an older tx I understand was aimed at the heli crowd and some said challenging to program, and there is the Dx7s, little brother and very similar to the Dx8. That said, they are almost identical except for the extra channel and probably some other minor things. I have a Dx8, and helped a buddy setting up a plane with a 7s, and it seemed identical to me. I honestly don't have experience with other brands so I can't compare, but I never had any issue with my Dx8, and I think the only time I had to resort to the forums to figure something out was setting up throttle cut for electrics.
Yeah
I've got both an old Spektrum DX7 and a newer DX8 transmitter. Programming the DX7 for dual aileron servos, dual flap servos, dual elevator servos did work, but IMHO, near impossible to do without reading the manual, page after page. And, for the first time, it took better part of an hour to do. You really had to watch for unintended servo operation when throwing one of the DX7 switches on the top right of the transmitter. One of my DX7 setups resulted in full up aileron on one channel with flipping one of the unused switches. Programming in a throttle kill function using the "Gear" switch was also a real pain in the *** to set up.

Doing the the same exact model with the DX8 was a lesson in simplicity. Just scroll through the picture diagrams of different model configurations on the DX8 LCD display, and pick the one that matches your model. The DX8 automatically assigns servo channels to match your airplane. Simple. Easy. And, programming in the throttle kill switch in the DX8 was simple. Just remember with the DX8 throttle kill switch, you must move the throttle trim adjustment to minimum. Otherwise, the transmitter thinks you've got a glow engine, and it moves the throttle to idle speed on the glow engine.

As for brands of radios, especially with those that have dozens or hundreds of models in their menu's, IMHO, it's important to select a radio system like the Spektrum's Model Match feature, where it is not possible to take off with the wrong model selection in the transmitter. IE, reversed ailerons equals guaranteed crash.

DennyV
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #75
propnut48

Has Specktrum fixed the TX?RX uncoupling issue. The 4 guys I fly with has an issue in that on the DX6i and 5i. It would unbind the plane and they would need to re-bind it again.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
2.4ghz radio