Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Riverman
"No common sense"

View Riverman's Gallery4
Friends: (0)
Default Long Beach RC regulations

Hey guys

I'll be visiting Long Beach, California at the end of the month for work, and If I can manage I intend to bring my parkflyer aerial photography rig to do some photography.
I'm wondering if their are any rules/regulations or RC prohibition within city limits that I need to be aware of as I've heard that some American cities have been clamping down on RC flying recently.
I'm also going to have some money burning a hole in my pocket and will be looking for a good hobby store to hit up. Any suggestions?

Cheers

My aerial video collection:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=brettknox
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

View gzsfrk's Gallery20
Awards Showcase

1kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (14)

I can't offer any advice on Long Beach, but after you mentioned you have an AP rig, I went and checked out your gallery.

And I have to ask--what in the WORLD is this?

- Matt
"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport."
- Orville Wright
Old 02-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Can't think of anything that the City regulates, there is one sanctioned flying field in Long Beach that I'm aware of (El Dorado Park) that I fly at occassionally. When will you be out - I can probably sneak away from the airport long enough to go nflying

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Riverman
"No common sense"

View Riverman's Gallery4

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
I can't offer any advice on Long Beach, but after you mentioned you have an AP rig, I went and checked out your gallery.

And I have to ask--what in the WORLD is this?
gzsfrk

Last year I did many experiments with my airplane and model rocket engines mostly for the purpose of rocket assisted takeoffs. This picture was taken from a video of one of two rockets I actually launched from on board the aircraft.
I have been criticised on this forum over and over again for having done this due to the perceived safety implications and I wish that I had removed the picture from my gallery. I forgot it was even in there. But rather than delete the picture and ignore your question I thought I'd be straight up about it.
If anyone still cares, here is a video of my cumulative experiences with RC rocket assisted takeoffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvwEfkfiVM

Cheers

Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Riverman
"No common sense"

View Riverman's Gallery4

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Can't think of anything that the City regulates, there is one sanctioned flying field in Long Beach that I'm aware of (El Dorado Park) that I fly at occassionally. When will you be out - I can probably sneak away from the airport long enough to go nflying
Oldfart

Sounds like fun. I'm probably coming out last week of Feb for two weeks but nothing is finalized yet due to the nature of my work. I'll let you know when I find out.
Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

View gzsfrk's Gallery20
Awards Showcase

1kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
gzsfrk

Last year I did many experiments with my airplane and model rocket engines mostly for the purpose of rocket assisted takeoffs. This picture was taken from a video of one of two rockets I actually launched from on board the aircraft.
I have been criticised on this forum over and over again for having done this due to the perceived safety implications and I wish that I had removed the picture from my gallery. I forgot it was even in there. But rather than delete the picture and ignore your question I thought I'd be straight up about it.
If anyone still cares, here is a video of my cumulative experiences with RC rocket assisted takeoffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvwEfkfiVM

Cheers
Wow--I guess there are some safety concerns when doing anything with rockets, but I have to admit that that video is pretty freakin' cool.

I'd think that as long as you were in a remote area with no risk of starting a wildfire, and you and anyone with you was behind some form of blast shield or other protection, that it wouldn't be so bad. However, I found one video on YouTube where someone was doing something similiar with model rocket engines and an RC plane in what looked like a residential area. Stupid, stupid, stupid....

- Matt
"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport."
- Orville Wright
Old 02-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

A large number (probably a majority by now) of cities and counties in the US now prohibit all RC activities in public parks and land areas.

Most of the regs I have seen have a general ban on operating RC of any type - air, water or land - within public park/land areas - except where/unless specifically allowed. In other words - at a designated RC flying field.

Wheather or not they enforce it and how strongly I have no clue.

As far as I know from my time living there - California is one of the more heavily regulated states in the US.

You can generally get access to many cities/county parks regulations on-line now. Just do a search on the site for RC and see what pops up.

Larry
Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
jonnyjetprop

Of course, your visiting one of the best areas for slope gliders in the country. Model Rockets in California are a problem due to the danger of wild fires.

Hobby shops. I'd hit up one of the many Hobby People locations. The head one is in Fountain Valley.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/

John
Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
A large number (probably a majority by now) of cities and counties in the US now prohibit all RC activities in public parks and land areas.

Most of the regs I have seen have a general ban on operating RC of any type - air, water or land - within public park/land areas - except where/unless specifically allowed. In other words - at a designated RC flying field.

Wheather or not they enforce it and how strongly I have no clue.

As far as I know from my time living there - California is one of the more heavily regulated states in the US.

You can generally get access to many cities/county parks regulations on-line now. Just do a search on the site for RC and see what pops up.

Larry
Gee. I guess we're going to have to find a new name for the "Park" flyers now.

South Carolina doesn't restrict RC to any specific areas to my knowledge, at least not in the country. I can fly anywhere as long as I have a large enough area (and permission from the owner, if it's privately owned land). This may or may not apply within city limits, depending on the city. I know Elfi-Flyer often flies from his own back yard, and he's pretty close to the airport too (outside the 3-mile limit though).

RC cars and boats are allowed everywhere, of course, as there's no danger of them falling out of the sky onto anyone's head.

Question; There used to be a very popular slope gliding spot at the top of Old Topanga Canyon Road, has that been closed to RC as well?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Gee. I guess we're going to have to find a new name for the "Park" flyers now.

South Carolina doesn't restrict RC to any specific areas to my knowledge, at least not in the country. I can fly anywhere as long as I have a large enough area (and permission from the owner, if it's privately owned land). This may or may not apply within city limits, depending on the city. I know Elfi-Flyer often flies from his own back yard, and he's pretty close to the airport too (outside the 3-mile limit though).

RC cars and boats are allowed everywhere, of course, as there's no danger of them falling out of the sky onto anyone's head.

Question; There used to be a very popular slope gliding spot at the top of Old Topanga Canyon Road, has that been closed to RC as well?
Its primarily public parks that are listed in the regs I have seen.

I Washington State ALL RC is banned in all the public parks I have seen - including cars and boats - unless specifically approved and only in apporved areas.

The club I belong to is in a public park, so it is possible to get a flying site approved, but you cant just go to any old park and fly a "Park Flyer". Its illegal

Larry
Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
MikeMc
Sponge Mike

View MikeMc's Gallery8
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMc

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
California is one of the more heavily regulated states in the US.
I've lived in Ca my whole life and this makes me sick. There's a rule against doing anything and a fence around everything else. Lawsuits are completely out of control in Ca. There's a creek with a popular swimming whole I've been going to me whole life (40 years) and people have been going there for 100 years. Just this year the city put barricades up right next to the road so you can't park and no-parking signs. This pisses me off very much.

State Slogan: Welcome to California. The Anti-Fun State.

Anyway, fly in Long Beach and expect to get ticketed. Enjoy.

Sponge Mike Square Pants - Insubordinate Renegade Airforce (IRA 1)
My Other Passion
Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Riverman
"No common sense"

View Riverman's Gallery4

Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post

I'll find a safe spot to fly in Long Beach one way or another...

Might just have to plead ignorrance if the authorities try to shut me down

"Gee ociffer, I'm not from around here..."

Old 02-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
MikeMc
Sponge Mike

View MikeMc's Gallery8

Yeah, I don't like the situation but I'd go for it too. I was in a park once with loud gas plane and a cop rolled up. I assumed he was there for me so I went and asked him before I went up again. Turns out he just parked there to do some paper work and he said, "As long as you don't hit my car then I don't care." haha

My Other Passion
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I'm not sure where you folks have had problems - but I fly in Socal weekly and have had almost no problems. ONE (and only ONE) field wound up posting a "no fuel planes sign).

As far as Long Beach - there is a sanctioned field at El Dorado Park....

Jeff/LAX
Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
I've lived in Ca my whole life and this makes me sick. There's a rule against doing anything and a fence around everything else. Lawsuits are completely out of control in Ca. There's a creek with a popular swimming whole I've been going to me whole life (40 years) and people have been going there for 100 years. Just this year the city put barricades up right next to the road so you can't park and no-parking signs. This pisses me off very much.

Unless you're in Southern California, then it's an eight foot cinderblock wall!

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
MikeMc
Sponge Mike

View MikeMc's Gallery8

Hahaha. Oh that's right. I actually prefer those for the back yard. I wish we had them in NorCal.

My Other Passion
Old 02-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #17
bawbaw

Default Newbie in Long Beach. Got my RTF $69.xx put together. Where to fly?

Help in Long Beach, CA!!!

I don't know if it is even going to fly, but is there any LICENSED rc field here or around here?

I hate to drive too far...thanks to gas.

TBH
Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

We have a nice electric only field here in Chino .With permission from owner association. It's Chino Fairgrounds parking lot corner of Central and Edison.As far as Long Beach goes they used to fly combat wings on the beach next to Ocean Blvd. but I heard due to the crazy nature of that R/C sport it has been outlawed there.They would make full contact and then get back in the air off the sidewalk.It's on Combat Wings Co.demo video. Huntington Bch. has a dog beach area to the north west of the swimming beach and there are slope flyers who fly there.I have flown park flyers at Huntington Beach both summer and winter and had Lifeguards watch me then leave without citing or warning me .So I guess there's no law prohibiting it.A light weight park flyer is no more dangerous to people than some of the heavier high speed aerobatic kites.> XR Combat Wing Try this link for combat wings at Long Beach http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/video_electric.php Looks like crazy fun huh.This is Ca. so if it's fun it's outlawed.

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

View gzsfrk's Gallery20
Awards Showcase

1kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
A light weight park flyer is no more dangerous to people than some of the heavier high speed aerobatic kites.
Or some of the heavier, hard plastic frisbees. I could hit myself in the side of the head with the nose of my Wild Hawk at full speed and it would hurt me less than a hard frisbee, and certainly less than a baseball. But people toss those around in public parks without question. And, in contrast to a frisbee or baseball, I'm actually CONTROLLING my plane while it's in flight.

Thank heavens I live in Tennessee. Plenty of open, non-fenced fields everywhere. And no one has ever so much as given me a dirty glance while I was flying my planes at the soccer fields. Of course, I'm always considerate enough to fly over an unpopulated field. I actually usually get a few spectators on the nicer days when people have brought their kids to the playground. So it's a win/win.

- Matt
- Orville Wright
Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #20
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Originally Posted by bawbaw View Post
Help in Long Beach, CA!!!

I don't know if it is even going to fly, but is there any LICENSED rc field here or around here?

I hate to drive too far...thanks to gas.

TBH
El Dorado Park

Jeff/LAX
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #21
zirconx
RC Flyer

View zirconx's Gallery6
Friends: (1)

Thank heavens I live in Tennessee. Plenty of open, non-fenced fields everywhere. And no one has ever so much as given me a dirty glance while I was flying my planes at the soccer fields. Of course, I'm always considerate enough to fly over an unpopulated field. I actually usually get a few spectators on the nicer days when people have brought their kids to the playground. So it's a win/win.
I live in Nebraska, and fly in open areas all over the city, mostly soccer or football fields. I couldn't imagine living somewhere where there is a blanket ban against RC! How crazy...

How come the AMA isn't involved in this stuff? When some city wants to do a blanket ban on handguns, the NRA is over it. When a township tries to ban motorcycles, the American Motorcyclist Association gets involved.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #22
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

The only two "legal" electric only fields are El Dorado Park in Long Beach ( You must be have AMA insurance) and Fairview Park ( You must have AMA insurance plus a City of Costa Mesa ($20) permit. There are a few more distant IC and electric fields where AMA and club membership are required. There are a lot of mostly youngsters flying in schoolyards, etc without AMA insurance risking intereference from and to others. 2.4 ghz systems are safest.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #23
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Or some of the heavier, hard plastic frisbees. I could hit myself in the side of the head with the nose of my Wild Hawk at full speed and it would hurt me less than a hard frisbee, and certainly less than a baseball. But people toss those around in public parks without question. And, in contrast to a frisbee or baseball, I'm actually CONTROLLING my plane while it's in flight.

Ain't cun'try livin' great?

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 02-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #24
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

Southern Ca. does have no fly zone parks and school yards but at least we have flyin weather 300 or more days a year.Of course today it's raining .LOL

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #25
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

View gzsfrk's Gallery20
Awards Showcase

1kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Southern Ca. does have no fly zone parks and school yards but at least we have flyin weather 300 or more days a year.Of course today it's raining .LOL
Well, barring someone who lives in Seattle, I would say most places here in the states could claim to have up to 300 flying days a year, seeing as the only real limitations on flying are wind and precipitation. I think it's probably a fair estimate that here in TN, 5 days out of every 6 or 7 on an annual basis are mostly wind and precip free. So that's plenty of flying time during the winter if you can stand the cold.

Unfortunately, most of our wind and precip days like to cluster together around the February/March timeframe. But we'll make up for it when we have our annual Summer drought, complete with 2 straight months of perfect flying conditions.

- Matt
- Orville Wright

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions