Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)
Smile Gamma 370

Maidened my Gamma 370, which I'll refer to as g370, yesterday afternoon. Had a blast, the very first flight I used to get used to and I enjoyed the flight response of the control inputs. The second flight,, was sheer terror but I managed to save things, it went towards the woods near the field, I was flying from, I looped, turned and did everything I could come up with to save the plane, which I did! Flew it once more this a lot more carefully and landed without having to glue something back together or fix it. All in all darn good buy!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Chucksolo69

Congrats on you Gamma 370 maiden.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
hkeelljr

Well went flying this afternoon, late, but things didn't go so well this time. I tried to rog but that didn't work to good so I ended up hand launching and everything went crazy. I used the sport wing this time making sure everything was adjusted correctly and so on, but I did not. he controls were reversed,ailerons, but managed to get it down ok except when I "stuck" the landing ripping out the landing gear. So I took every thing back to the shop got things glued back but the landing gear will stay off. I also corrected the control issue, and rebalanced the plane for use without the landing gear.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Chucksolo69

NEVER put an RC airplane in the air without doing a surface control check.....NEVER. Well I'm glad you got her repaired. Better luck next time.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
hkeelljr

Haven't had a chance to try out the g370 lately, been working(12hr) shifts, so hopefully later on today if the weather cooperates, Anyway, will a bigger size wheel fit,cause I hate to fly without the landing gear? And the pasture I fly from is a bit rough, even mowed close.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
hkeelljr

Flew the g370 yesterday afternoon another wild flight, although the wind did much of the pushing around. I went out to the field, not a breeze, by the time I had everything ready to go the wind had started blowing, but landed safely and in one piece.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
hkeelljr

Flew the g370 again, and once again the wind did most of the pushing. However, I did manage some decent flight at times. Ok silly question, the apc props sold by Tower Hobbies 9x7's for e-flight will work ok with this plane, yes? Still not using the landing gear unless I want to glue the bottom where the landing gear comes out of the fuse every time I land the thing.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
hkeelljr

Went flying finally this evening after supper. Only used one pack though, had a stability problem, after I finally got it down,safely, discovered that the velcro holding the battery down had come loose from the inside the fuse and started to move around making for some scary moments! After getting back to the shop I glued the velcro down with some ca. Maybe next time things will be different!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by hkeelljr View Post
Flew the g370 again, and once again the wind did most of the pushing. However, I did manage some decent flight at times. Ok silly question, the apc props sold by Tower Hobbies 9x7's for e-flight will work ok with this plane, yes? Still not using the landing gear unless I want to glue the bottom where the landing gear comes out of the fuse every time I land the thing.
You have this plane ?? http://www.ares-rc.com/gamma370.html

To me it looks like the prop is closer to the GWS slow flyer type props.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/GWS-9070...Prop-A-508.htm

Typically the GWS props are a little lighter and more flexable than the APC SF props. Just make sure you are getting the slow fly type prop (SF) and either should work.

I have also had the sticky back velcro quit sticking... I haven't lost a plane because of it but it sure made for some interesting flying! I did the same as you. Stuck it back on with CA. It's held up OK since.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
hkeelljr

Stevephoon, Yes I have the Gamma 370 by ares. And I enjoy flying it when I can. I did try an APC 8x6 yesterday, but had problems getting it tight on the shaft. Switched back to the regular 9x7 and I think I'm gonna stick with the stock props for now. I'm also using the landing gear,helps with the cg and when I come in to land I head for the broomsage, or stall it just before it lands just off the ground.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Chucksolo69

I use the GWS 9x7 props on my Gamma Pro with no problems at all.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
hkeelljr

Cool power up grade

Well,just finished changing out the stock power system on my g370. I was going to wait and do it later, but went and did it now, cause after trying to fly the other day I bent the prop shaft and apparently burnt out the motor. I realize I might have gone back stock, but I also ordered at key chain camera to attach to my g370. So now I'll have some extra power.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
hkeelljr

Thumbs up Remaidened the g370.

Flew the g370 with the brushless motor up grade and all I can say is WOW! it really moves out now. and my flying field, which I thought was plenty big has become small very quick. But, will still fly there anyway.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by hkeelljr View Post
Went flying finally this evening after supper. Only used one pack though, had a stability problem, after I finally got it down,safely, discovered that the velcro holding the battery down had come loose from the inside the fuse and started to move around making for some scary moments! After getting back to the shop I glued the velcro down with some ca. Maybe next time things will be different!
Yeah, that adhesive type Velcro tends to come loose from balsa and foamies. What works for me, is first identify where the Velcro is going to go, then spread a thin layer of yellow carpenter glue over that spot. Titebond is one brand.

Allow that glue to dry for 24 hours, then firmly place the Velcro on the "Glued" surface. You will find the Velcro will really stick nicely now.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
ParkCrasher

Friends: (0)
Default Love the Gamma

I recently got back into the hobby after a 20 year break with the Gamma Pro 370. It's been a great plane and I think it's a fantastic trainer. After about 5 flights I was confident enough to try floats and found the Super Cub LP floats were very easy to adapt for the Gamma. It takes a pretty long take off to get in the air, and you definitely need the brushless motor and a 3s battery. But once it's in the air it flies nicely.

With the small tree-lined pond behind my house, I'm certain to crash it before long. I'll have fun while it lasts though!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130514_083155.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	168865
Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
hkeelljr

Hey Parkflyer, good looking pic, reckon you could post a side view so I might get some ideas on fixing up my on g370. Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #17
ParkCrasher

Thanks hkeelljr, here are a couple more pics that show how they are mounted. The rear mounting plate came with the Super Cub floats. I think there are a few different super cub models and some already have the mount installed, some don't. Having it in the kit made my job easier regardless. In the front I have the wire slipped right into the Gamma's landing gear holder. The width is a bit different. Wire gage is larger as well but it still fits. Rather than modify the gear mount I just attached two rubber bands. I may come up with a more elegant solution but for now this lets me go back to wheels without any trouble.

I've only had one water flight so far (with a few take offs and landings). I'd like to put a small spacer between the front float mount and the plane, to increase the wing angle in relation to the floats (raise the nose a touch). I hope this will help the plane take off. Yaw on the water was quite a ride so I may add a rudder too.

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130514_230242.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	168869

Name:	IMG_20130514_230309.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	168870
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
hkeelljr

Thanks Park crasher, those pics helped a lot. Now is good time to go to the lhs.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #19
hkeelljr

Flew the G370 first time in a while. Noticed when the right stick is in the neutral position that the pane wants to roll to the right, and when I apply pressure to the left corner quad of the tx it will fly level. I checked the control surfaces and everything is ok except the rudder which I had to give almost full left trim just to be centered. Also the motor is loose with at least a fourth of play left and right. I can tighten up the motor mount but will this solve the rolling to the right or is there some thing else amiss?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #20
ParkCrasher

hkeelljr, could the thrust angle be off if the motor is loose?

For the roll on neutral stick I would make sure the wing is installed straight and level. Check the ailerons trim. And check the rudder again. If it will not center due to trim limits maybe open the control horn and tighten or losen it to get the proper position?

Maybe a touch of left rudder trim and a touch of left aileron trim will straighten out its flight. Is the wing or tail warped from a crash?

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #21
hkeelljr

Thanks for the suggestions; will give them a try. Also I had too re-glue the tail section back after an encounter with a tree. And this is really the first(?) flight since then, since I've been busy and tired from work, and working on another project.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
hkeelljr

After a good night's rest I checked out the alignment down the fuse and sure enough, there is curve to to the left, facing the plane head on. Is there a way to get this bend out or should I just get another fuse. Although, the project I'm currently building the Contester from Model Airplane News will soon need some electrics. I have enjoyed flying the G370 though.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
RobinA

Club: West Florida Modelers

Old thread to wake up.............
Nice plane to learn on.A friend bought one and asked me to teach him how to fly.It's the brushed version.I liked it so much I have one to now to fly.Beats the Super Cub in price.Lot's of room to expand.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #24
Spiff

Default Gamma continued....

I had last flown a Cox 0.49 BabeBee glow engine powered single channel "flapper" in 1968 when I was 14 years old. I flew it over a cornfield, ran out of gas, and never saw it again. Shortly afterwards I realized girls were more fun than RC and shifted my priorities.

Walking into Hobby Town last fall was a real shocker. I couldn't believe how much RC had changed. I decided to buy a plane and was talked out of a P-38 (fortunately) and into an Ares Gamma 370 3 channel airplane.
I recently read all the posts on the Ares Gamma 370 and I'd like to warm the thread back to life.
Great value, great flying plane, and good quality as well. I'm looking forward to adding floats, oversize tires, and adding ailerons to the 3 channel wing. I love warbirds but right now bush planes are the way to go.

I recently bought a Spektrum DX6i and have my sights set on a Parkzone Sportcub.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #25
hkeelljr

Finally brought out the old g370, mainly cause my current projects are goinng kinda slow. Anyway thiught that the fuse was out of whack but it was just the ailerons that needed resetting on the plane. ANyway it flies just as well as it did before, so I've changed out the taymia gonnectors for ultra deans as I believe that the ones that came with were not working and I was having problems connecting the battery at times. Everyone have a safe and happy fourth!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers