Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Nuclear

Friends: (0)
Default What are the difference(s) btwn these 2meter SailPlanes/WarmLiners?????

I was looking through the NESail.com and Espirit.com
sites and I narrowed my choices to these SailPlanes
(entry Level WarmLiners)

"MeFisto"

"Variant 3"

GreatPlanes "Siren"

does anyone own and fly these 3 planes?
I'm moving up from a slow 180 watt Radian and
I like the "two in one plane" combo
(float and hotdog around)

thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

SLOW Radian?
Have you ballast up the bird yet? SLOW?? If you can't hotdog around on the Radian and enjoy it, you might need something hotter than the three you listed! I would put the Radian up against the first two on the list. The Great plane is a nice bird, but a near than perfect setup is required and its a handful. The cost is up there too in the long run. If your slopeing, any three would be great. I might suggest you keep the Radian as a nice backup bird for those days you find the so called "HOT" birds don't want to cooperate! HAVE FUN!!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Nuclear

TM4197....
I ask because I think my Radian is very slow from Point A to Point B.
5-10 sec WOT covers very little ground on the Radian....
I do like floating around though, but wish there was more speed
when WOT.....

I'm debating on which WarmLiner to get, simple set up, and on the cheapy.

I've also looked at the Blizzard and St.Blaze.....

sooooo many choices.....?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

I understand completely. Everyone has different interest even if its a sailplane. What I like about 2m-3m thermal sailplanes is the fact that you are going slow, and you try everything you possibly can to catch that one boomer thermal or ride a very small one for all its worth. But, you can push the nose down (assisted with motor) if you have one, and start looking for the new one. I can move my DG300 accross space pretty darn fast and not loose much altitude before Iam riding another wave up! Now, when i want to hotdog, I land the sailplane, fire up the ME-109 and go for it. So, I kinda look at a warmer/hottie as a aeroplane, not a sailplane. Now that I've said that, I will say many friends of mine who have the Hot ones are experts at searching thermals, and can move about so graceful its almost an artform, but I never seem to see these guys screaming around the sky like a P-40. They move with a purpose...to get that rising air! No matter what you choose, enjoy what you get!! I'am just old and have decided to slow down and smell the roses!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Huffy01
Huffy01

Friends: (2)

I know what you mean Nuclear. The Radian is my first flying RC aircraft and after a several months wanted something that would fly a little faster and fly better in the wind.
I looked at getting a hotliner after reading about them but was convinced that they are more complicated by the local hooby shop owner.
He showed me one that he and his son built ,well he showed me the remains.
They fly fast and it is very difficult to read when they fly through lift.
He told me that the rules of FAI F5b may have a section of competition that calls for thermaling for ten minutes but most can reach a high fast enough to fly for ten minutes without lift.
I ended up buying a Great plains Spirit Elite kit which I am still building and have also purchased a 3.2m Stepp-upp. Both planes are launched by winch or high-start.
If you choose a balsa wood or composite plane it should fly faster than the Radian.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Nuclear

anyone know about the "Mefisto" and "Variant 3"?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5

I hope someone can give Nuclear a direct answer to his questions, as I would like to find a warmliner myself.

My RADIAN is TONS of fun as a floater and camera platform but I would like a dual purpose electric sailplane; one that is decent in thermals but could also slope and maybe surprise me at it's speed.

Am I wishing for the impossible?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Old Tin Man

I don't know about the "Mefisto" and "Variant 3" but will be watching this thread to see if there is info on them.

I do have some info on the Siren. It is very fast in relation to the Radian and will cover lots of sky and ground in short order. I have had my just completed Siren up for 6 flights so far it does thermal well not as good as the Radian but more like the Ascent 450 BL that I have. If there are good thermals it seems to climb OK. I have not gotten a weight on the Siren yet but it must be twice the weight of the Radian so it retains energy well. It is very responsive compared to the Radian partly because of the speed and partly because of the ailerons. I does stall at much higher speed than a Radian but it is a warmliner.

The price of the airframe alone is in the 150.00 range, this is cheap for the type of plane that it is. You get a lot for your money with the Siren. I am using a Turnigy 35-48 1100 KV motor, a 80 amp ESC and a single 2700 mah 3S lipo, so the investment is not that great. I consider this a good stepping stone up to a full fledged hotliner.

If you are comfortable with your Radian and have some time with a sport plane that has ailerons you should be OK with the Siren. It is docile enough that an intermediate pilot should be OK. It does need a lot of room to land if you don't program in spoilerons. It really needs them or you will need a very long flat final approach. Once you point the nose down it gains speed quick and the large wings makes it hang in ground effect forever.

Hope that some of this helps a little

Regards
Joe C.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5

Originally Posted by Old Tin Man View Post
I don't know about the "Mefisto" and "Variant 3" but will be watching this thread to see if there is info on them.

I do have some info on the Siren. It is very fast in relation to the Radian and will cover lots of sky and ground in short order. I have had my just completed Siren up for 6 flights so far it does thermal well not as good as the Radian but more like the Ascent 450 BL that I have. If there are good thermals it seems to climb OK. I have not gotten a weight on the Siren yet but it must be twice the weight of the Radian so it retains energy well. It is very responsive compared to the Radian partly because of the speed and partly because of the ailerons. I does stall at much higher speed than a Radian but it is a warmliner.

The price of the airframe alone is in the 150.00 range, this is cheap for the type of plane that it is. You get a lot for your money with the Siren. I am using a Turnigy 35-48 1100 KV motor, a 80 amp ESC and a single 2700 mah 3S lipo, so the investment is not that great. I consider this a good stepping stone up to a full fledged hotliner.

If you are comfortable with your Radian and have some time with a sport plane that has ailerons you should be OK with the Siren. It is docile enough that an intermediate pilot should be OK. It does need a lot of room to land if you don't program in spoilerons. It really needs them or you will need a very long flat final approach. Once you point the nose down it gains speed quick and the large wings makes it hang in ground effect forever.

Hope that some of this helps a little

Regards
Joe C.
Helps a little? Joe that helps a LOT!

I've been eyeballing the Siren because as you say, it looks like a lot of fun for a modest amount of money. Fortunately, I have a huge flying field (1200 foot runway) to land in so this may be my first "warmliner".

A "thank you" has been sent and thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of feedback from experienced pilots I am looking for.

At the advice of Ed Anderson (Moderator) I am going to start another thread to explore this, and another topic in detail.

'The Bum
Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Nuclear

great post Joe C.
I would of gotten the Great Planes Siren, but
the Wings do not break down into 2-pieces.
the wings at 2meters are just too big to fit into my car.....
I was looking at the Mephisto and Variant 3
(both are 2meters)
they are very similiar to the Siren but maybe just a bit
stronger in the wings dept., plus the wings break down
into 2-pieces for transportation.....
Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #11
axljackass

also deciding if going to get the Great Planes Spirit

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes