Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Zlin Akrobat anyone ?

Ok - this is the Pilot Model Zlin designed around the common 20 sized Glow engine that many of us had back in the 80's ... It's a reasonable size model ... very agile ... near enough scale for club comps ..

I post the plans and template sheet I created from them if anyone interested to have a go ...

I would suggest a 200 - 300w motor with 8x6 prop ... on a 3S pack .. say about the 1300 size ..

RC Timer do a particularly suited motor - which I use in my Badius pattern job ...

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=120&produc tname

Nigel

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zlin.pdf (1.08 MB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf Zlin akrobat Templates.pdf (1.60 MB, 12 views)

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

WOW - who's that handsome guy ??

Yep ... that's me back a few years ago ....

With my Pilot Zlin ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Nigel,
Good work on the plans and parts sheet. The remains of mine are still in mygarage. it's actually not in too bad condition but needs a cowl.

I have some photos of when it was first build somewhere, if i can find them i'll post.

In most ways it was a nice flying model but had a nasty tip stall. If building today i'd try to do something to fix it, washout would be the easy option providing you didnt mind compromising inverted performance.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm sure my Ex still has mine in the garage .... and funny enough - mine had a smacked up cowl !

The habit mine had and is what stopped me using it for Southern Area Scale Comp ... was she would go from a nice spin into flat spin if left too long ... She did this one day when I was showing off week before the comp. She panned out on the ground and wing was pushed vertically up into fuselage. I repaired her - but she'd lost her competition looks.

I actually really liked flying her ... but the cowl was a let-down. Lovely shape and scale ... but thin plastic and once cut for engine bits - it basically split easily and ended up in shreds.

I used a straight Irvine 20 up front and that pulled her round nice ...

Nigel

Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I'm sure the 'stally tips' was the same issue that lead to difficult spin recovery. Tip stall is why the cowl is banged up on mine, but the rest of the airframe is ok, though many years in storage in a cold damp garage may have took their toll. Just took a look a few minutes ago and there is a thick layer of dust!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The only other model I ever saw do such a perfect flat spin was my Mini-Pitts when tank was near empty.
It was a perfectly horizontal flat spin ... I couldn't have produced one myself any better - not that you would want to !!

She hit ground so flat the wing went absolutely straight vertical up into fuselage. If you look carefully at the photo - you can just make out the faint covering repair joint on fuselage side leading straight up from T/E of wing.

Pilot actually had the scale colour scheme NEARLY correct - for some strange reason they missed the yellow on the fin / rudder ... after the comp - I entered the Nieuport 28 ... I found a set of docs for the Zlin which showed the correct scheme ...

Once I get home and sort out my twin Tu144 ... the Ultrawatt and possibly the EE Lightning ... I may get around to this baby ... and like my Pilot QB10 ... do a mix of foam and wood ...

Victor - guy out here with me who has the CNC workshop - he's going through the template sheet here for CNC use ... and he reckons with a little work in Corel Draw or Illustrator - it's ready for use ... so it may just be up for the laser machine !

Nigel

Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #7
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery85
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

My Yak 23 did absolutely perfect flat spins. You didn't have to do anything to maintain them. The problem however was that no matter what you did, you couldn't get out of them either.
This thread caught my attention right away, since I had serious thoughts about building a Zlin a year or so ago, and was looking at the Pilot plan.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
My Yak 23 did absolutely perfect flat spins. You didn't have to do anything to maintain them. The problem however was that no matter what you did, you couldn't get out of them either.
This thread caught my attention right away, since I had serious thoughts about building a Zlin a year or so ago, and was looking at the Pilot plan.
Yep - they might look nice - but it's getting out of them !

Later I found by pushing the CoG a little more forward delayed it and I could do a reasonable number of spins before pulling her out.

If you are thinking of a handy sized Zlin - the Pilot plan job is very good ... thoroughly recc'd. Especially now that you have a full template sheet as well here !!

The template sheet corrects a few points of the plan .... a) I've managed to salvage the ribs parts that are hidden by overlapping drawings... b) formers are now symmetrical as who-ever scanned the original plan had folds and ridges in the paper not smoothed out properly.

Nigel

Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery85
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Yep - they might look nice - but it's getting out of them !

Later I found by pushing the CoG a little more forward delayed it and I could do a reasonable number of spins before pulling her out.

If you are thinking of a handy sized Zlin - the Pilot plan job is very good ... thoroughly recc'd. Especially now that you have a full template sheet as well here !!

The template sheet corrects a few points of the plan .... a) I've managed to salvage the ribs parts that are hidden by overlapping drawings... b) formers are now symmetrical as who-ever scanned the original plan had folds and ridges in the paper not smoothed out properly.

Nigel
I thought you would mention that. Usually it works, but the problem with the Yak23, is that it would not fly without the CG already set nearly on the LE. It was a bizarre plane, with the mid under fuse thrust exit. It actually flew ok, if you flew it within it's envelope.

The Pilot plan on outerzone.uk is really handy since I print those plans to whatever size I desire. It's nice to be able to choose your own scale, other than the bit of rework due to material size-thickness changes. With the old hand drawings, it's often a non-issue. The same goes for improperly scanned drawings, as you mentioned. I've spent considerable time patching some of those together.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have both Outerzone and Hippocket Pilot Zlin plans and only difference is file size - one is 1.5mb ... other is 3.4mb .... but in fact are same scanned plan.... with same fold ridge !

I now shy away from dxf / cad plans and stay with PDF ... as I can scale / tile so much easier with pdf .. even if the scale up causes jaggy lines etc.

Because I like to copy the templates to a new sheet - I trace round in 'Paint' or similar program to create new better outlines ...

My Ultrawatt thread is a good example.

My mate Victor ... here on the storage ship - working with him and his knowledge of CNC is very good ... luckily even though his English is not brill - his and my Russian gets through and I shall be able to do this work easier ..

The size of the Pilot Zlin I think is excellent for Sunday Sport flying and ideal for general sized electric. The construction style also lends itself to doubling up in size without much need for change ... just make the parts in normal ply instead of lite-ply.... maybe add a couple of extra ribs / formers ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft