Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)
Default So you want to build a trainer ?

I will go through my way of building from a plan in this thread and there are other ways to do it but this is how i build one . This will be a trainer plane called a Cloud Kitten and a nice looking easy build for you new guys who want to give it a go. SO! you will need to have the plans copied like from staples where i get mine done now . This plan was 7 dollars to get copied because of the larger size . This plane does not use much balsa and iam converting it from glo to electric and should fly very nice. After we finish this build i will take sugestions on building a low wing one with a little more action but for now here is the plan and lets get started . I will wait a week or so till you get your plan printed and go from there . You will need some simple tools in this build like a exacto knife and extra sharp blades , sanding blocks and a straight edge ruler/ razer plane / and i use tightbond carpenters glue for all my scratch builds because it sands nice and you dont have to die smelling CA fumes.lol I have cut out my ribs and fuse sides already and will post some picures soon.A little about me ! I have been building now for going on 40 years with balsa and 2 years in foam .I use to fly and compete in pattern and pylon when i was a snotty kid but have been building bigger seaplanes and other bigger electric ones most from Ivans plans . My spelling and grammer is not great so my spelling mistakes you will need to excuse .lol Iam going to try and make this build fun and next i will talk about your building table and then copying your plans to balsa so you can cut stuff out and i have done that two ways . Be back soon ! joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5732 cloud kitten.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	178163  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cloud_Kitten_48in.pdf (335.0 KB, 187 views)
Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

I love following build along threads like this. My most enjoyable builds have been the ones from plans and this looks like a nice easy one. I have too many other projects to do a build along but I'll follow the thread for sure. I'm also filing away the plans for later. Thanks for posting them.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Lets go over a building board and table . You can use any table that can be leveled and sturdy ,i bought this push pin board from manards long ago for my cheap formica office table and it holds push pins very well . I bought two for my bigger wings and iam still using the same ones 15 years later http://www.menards.com/main/home-dec...612-c-7158.htm You can also use just a scrap piece of drywall around 1/2 inch thick and stick your building pins in it to hold balsa in place. You must get use to leveling your work bench from the start both ways front to back and side to side ,why ? you dont need any twists in your new wing and if you build bigger planes a incidence meter will be off checking your new build on a unleveled table. Also! feel free to ask me anything along the way ,thats how i learned and hope you will to. I will try my best to explain my madness or the way i do things and why along the way and hope it makes sense to you. lol joe
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I love following build along threads like this. My most enjoyable builds have been the ones from plans and this looks like a nice easy one. I have too many other projects to do a build along but I'll follow the thread for sure. I'm also filing away the plans for later. Thanks for posting them.

Joe
Stick around Joe i hope to get some new builders and show them that they can build a plane cheap and with some good looks and also fix it themselves if it ever crashes . joe
Old 10-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
Abuelo

Club: Open flying at the Chandler Bowl
Friends: (4)

Joe, this will be great.

I thoroughly enjoy following build threads and have subscribed. Will most likely build along with you. This is one of the better designs from one of the better designers, Fred Reese, and its coming at the right time. An aileron version also would be nice.

If you haven't seen this forum and thread you might want to take a look. The guy there has color photos of six different Cloud Kittens he's built, both 48" and 36" spans, with and without ailerons, and one with a built-up fuse.

http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47279

Bill

Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and calculus don't mix.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (23)

Joe glad to see you getting this going be following along. Hope you get some new builders to build one and join in with this thread.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Happy to see you here Gramps ! You too Abuelo and if my memory is correct you have a new fangdanggled magnet building board . lol I will make a second wing with ailirons if everyone wants one. Thanks for joining in guys ! Gramps if nothing else some lucky newbe here will be getting my new cloud king free when we are done joe
Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Abuelo View Post
Joe, this will be great.

I thoroughly enjoy following build threads and have subscribed. Will most likely build along with you. This is one of the better designs from one of the better designers, Fred Reese, and its coming at the right time. An aileron version also would be nice.

If you haven't seen this forum and thread you might want to take a look. The guy there has color photos of six different Cloud Kittens he's built, both 48" and 36" spans, with and without ailerons, and one with a built-up fuse.

http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47279

Bill
Bill thanks for that thread and the buttercup was my first choice to build with some new builders but after printing it out it looked kinda small so i when with this bigger 48 inch cloud king . joe

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Buttercup.pdf (1,015.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: pdf Buttercup_redraw_hogal.pdf (116.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 AM   #9
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Glues:

CA is popular because its fast. But its also brittle and can make the structure easier to break by hardening the wood near stress points. There are times when this glue is appropriate, but it really should not be the primary glue used for construction.

Aliphatic resin (Yellow glues such as Elmer's Carpenter's glue) remains slightly flexible and gives you working time. Heat can release a joint so you can make corrections too.
This is also far cheaper than CA.

Epoxy is heavy and should be used only for very high load joints.

There are many other glues but those are the 3 most commonly used in a beginners wood structure aircraft.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:17 AM   #10
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Ok when you get your print i will show you how i make fast easy cardboard templets .I like making cardboard templets because you will always have them if you need to fix your plane and they make cutting out parts a breeze . My ribs after cutting 14 number 2s and 4 number 1s . BTW i cut parts out by my computer table alot while sitting there and thats why my table top here is all cut to heck ! lol The GF gets upset alot ! OH WELL ! lol They need final sanding and slots cut out for the main wing spars cut in but i do that while they are all stacked together so they are exacly the same or real darn close. joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A cloud king build.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	178168  
Old 10-31-2014, 01:49 AM   #11
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Another option for templates is counter top laminate. I use a glue stick to apply the plan cut out to the laminate then cut them out with my dirt cheap band saw. You can sand the balsa parts right up to the template without any damage so every rib is EXACTLY the same. I have boxes full of templates from different builds. They'll last me forever.

Joe

Old 10-31-2014, 01:58 AM   #12
Abuelo

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
. . . . and if my memory is correct you have a new fangdanggled magnet building board . lol I will make a second wing with ailerons if everyone wants one. . . . joe
Yes I do, and yes I would.

Bill

Old 10-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #13
Abuelo

Bill thanks for that thread and the buttercup was my first choice to build with some new builders but after printing it out it looked kinda small so i when with this bigger 48 inch cloud king . joe
Joe, you're aware these are two different Buttercups with the same name? Hogal's version is the Fred Reese's design.

Could be scaled up by 1.78 to a 48" wingspan and a 36" fuselage length.

Bill

Old 10-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (30)

Subscribed!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Abuelo View Post
Joe, you're aware these are two different Buttercups with the same name? Hogal's version is the Fred Reese's design.

Could be scaled up by 1.78 to a 48" wingspan and a 36" fuselage length.

Bill
Yes ,I have a friend who built a 80 inch wingspan one and got the cover of the AMA magizine a couple years ago. It was a toss up on building the two but the cloud king looks a little sleeker . Welcome River rat ! Happy to see you join us ! joe
Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Another option for templates is counter top laminate. I use a glue stick to apply the plan cut out to the laminate then cut them out with my dirt cheap band saw. You can sand the balsa parts right up to the template without any damage so every rib is EXACTLY the same. I have boxes full of templates from different builds. They'll last me forever.

Joe
I have stacked them your way Joe and cut a mess of them . I learned long ago building is not a race and i really enjoy cutting everything out by hand ,it took me a hour to cut out all the ribs and fuse elev rudder and i brought out my smaller 3 dollar garage sale craftsman scroll saw iam using on the ply formers . Some guys new to building dont own a scroll saw so iam going cave man on this build and then they can buy bigger tools later for much bigger planes later lol You pro builders can show how you do things different in this thread so the new builders can see it ! thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #17
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Oh, no, I don't cut stacks of ribs. I only use the saw to cut out the templates. I know some people are capable of cutting a stack. I'm not one of them. Every time I've tried I manage to wiggle a bit and screw up the whole mess. I cut and final sand them one at a time.

There's a real sense of pride that comes from watching all the parts that YOU cut out become a kit that you can tell people that you actually created from what was a few sheets of balsa. Your new plane is not something a poor little 8 year old girl built on a slave labor production line in China. Oops, there I go ripping on bARF's again......

Joe

Old 10-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Looks like a very good plane.

I really like the super light version, the Yellow one in the first picture from Daddyhobby.
I have gotten bored with slab-sided planes, this one shows your building skills.

Even from scratch, it should only take about a week.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #19
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Looks like a very good plane.

I really like the super light version, the Yellow one in the first picture from Daddyhobby.
I have gotten bored with slab-sided planes, this one shows your building skills.

Even from scratch, it should only take about a week.
I build the stick ones to but for a new builder and my short time for this we are going to build a fast one . Might build a nice stick one soon tho if this goes well . I have a mostly stick built twin otter on my other bench now i need to finish up. joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0104.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	178182  
Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

OK! to get templets made i have seen guys coppy two set of plans and cut them up and paste them right on the balsa and cut them out. I made mine by buying this copy paper and one 50cent piece of poster board from the dollar store . I keep a bunch handy for alot of my builds. The copy paper is 20 sheets and one bag will last you through alot of planes. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...sheets-124198/ I put my plan over the cardboard with a copy sheet inbetween and then trace on the plan the part i want coppied . Its transfured to the cardboard very well then i cut it our with sissers . I most times leave the line then later sand it down and check it against the print.I have empty old kit boxes and i store all the templets in a empty one with the new planes name on it in case i have to fix one and need parts . These are the cloud kitten paterns and i have my rib patterns up stairs. lol I like to use small push pins to pin my templet down to the balsa before marking it so it wont move with my big fat hands trying to mark all four sides . I also mark where all the formers are on the fuse and what number every thing is . My fuse sides are cut out and pretty long .lol you can see the fuse templet under the bottom side in the picture. I will start gluing stuff soon. joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a cloud king patterns.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	178183   Click image for larger version

Name:	a cloud king fuse.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	178184  
Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #21
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

So my first fuse former is glued on and alot of people use weights to work out and sweat then they get lazy and throw them out in a junk yard for scrap . I buy 1 1/2 to 2 pound weights and the square ones that are scrap cut offs from a steel company where i get my home beams made . They were cut with a giant machine at a true 90 degree cut so i use them for alot of building including holding things still and at a 90 dgree till they dry. I think i have around 30 of the round weights and about the same in the thick square steel cut offs Your wifes heavy cook books work well to joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a cloud king fuse.build.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	178185  
Old 10-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #22
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (30)

Yes ,I have a friend who built a 80 inch wingspan one and got the cover of the AMA magizine a couple years ago. It was a toss up on building the two but the cloud king looks a little sleeker . Welcome River rat ! Happy to see you join us ! joe
Joe

I wont be building along, but this old dog is still
able to learn a new trick!!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 10-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #23
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I have enjoyed your posts before and you could more than likely teach me some tricks RiverRat Welcome ! joe
Old 11-01-2014, 02:39 AM   #24
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Love it Joe! I'm a firm believer that people don't learn to build today because nobody teaches them. You're teaching them and the thread will remain as a guide for those who would like to try an easy build in the future. I can't build right now but that's a sweetheart of a plane and I can see myself building one later.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and getting a much needed job done right!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #25
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

No one taught me to build... I learned the hard way over a very long time.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft