Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
smallflyer

Friends: (0)
Default flyzone p51 mustang esc problem?

Yesterday I brought out my flyzone micro p51 mustang for the first time this year but wasn't able to get it in the air. I fully charged my 2 li-po batteries, and put fresh batteries in the TX. When plugging in the battery everything looked good, tested the control surfaces, when I hit the throttle, it started up, but by midway it was pulsing on/off, then would cutoff after a couple second or 2. Repeated several times did the same thing, tried the other battery, same thing. Thinking both batteries might be bad I put them on a volt meter and the were both reading about 3.9/4.0 which looked like a full charge to me. Connected 1 of the batteries to another motor, and it seemed to have good power. So now I'm assuming something wrong with the esc? Anyone have any ideas on how to get it going again?

Thanks Tom
Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Not being familiar with that plane, I assume from your voltage statement it's a 1 cell battery? Seeing as you havent used it in a while, did you store the batteries fully charged or discharged? Lipos need to be stored at 50% capacity. If not the internal resistance increases, then what you just described happens. You charge them up, without a load the voltage is fine, but when you start flying they suffer from voltage sag and your esc goes into lvc. Get it on the ground and check and voltage is fine. Those tiny single cell batteries are notorious for not lasting long. This is what I suspect is happening, nothing wrong with the esc. As far as working ok in the other plane, is there a lower power demand in that one? This would be easy to verify with a bigger battery where you could plug a volt meter into the balance lead while doing a run up. Not an easy option with a single cell.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes