Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
3d3dman

Friends: (0)
Default Richmodel Keecat 65 Electric Conversion - Spec help please

Hi Guys,

First post here, I hope you can help. I have recently bought a Richmodel Keecat 65, the model was electric before I bought it however I have not been able to speak to the previous owner so I am trying to work out the right setup.

The engine mount at the rear has been raised by 2inches so I can fit a larger prop.

I want the model to be fast - I believe I need a 400kv-500kv motor - is this correct? I was going to use 2 x 2200mah 3s Lipos lipos in parallel - would this be sufficient?

Any help you can give would be appreciated - I am not used to converting models off spec
Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Lazflyn

I just bought one of these and will be doing an e-conversion to it. Did you ever get your plane in the air? I would think you would need to run the packs you mentioned in series and not parallel. This would make it a 6s setup which is what I will be running.

I know it's an old post and no one even commented, so this new post will most likely fall right in the same crack and never be seen.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Look at the E-Flite power 60 for a guide on motor power.

This design is not really fast its draggy due to the twin rudders and the horizontal being in the propwash. Its based on the BVM Bobcat Turbine trainer. (which my avatar pic shows a different cheap copy of)

6S is generally right for .60 glow conversions.
Raising the motor on my larger model got me to a 0-0 thrust line. (0 up/down and 0 right/left offset angle)

I've also had the "Bobcat 50" (.46 glow size) by Nitroplanes and it exhibited the same characteristics as the larger one... I drove that with a very hot .61 glow and still couldn't push it above 100 spinning a 11X7 at 16,000 rpm. The big one with 5000 watts can hit 120 in a dive...
Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
Lazflyn

Thank you for responding and sharing some experience. I don't know anyone that has had one of these so it is helpful to see what others have experienced.

My intent was not all out speed with this platform. I wanted to use this as an opportunity to learn about electric power systems by converting this from nitro. Also was wanting to try some fpv and autopilot systems in this. But that will happen later. Just looking to learn about brushless motors, amps, watts, etc.

I was wanting stability and this looked like a stable platform with the twin vertical fins. After reading a lot about this model though, it seems like everyone has their own idea of where the CG should be and also how fast this "jet" should go.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The 2 versions I have had are stable and if CG is in proper range it has a very predictable mild stall when power off.

Speed and roll responsiveness are the main reasons this is not useful as a primary trainer. Its a very predictable model.

I'm not sure if its a good candidate for FPV. Autopilot systems shouldn't have any more problems handling it than a typical trainer type model.

Minimum speed will depend on weight.

Start with CG as per instructions. Then use the NSRCA (Pattern Aerobatics Competition special interest group) trim chart to get it to the correct CG for best performance.

It won't be forgiving if you get the CG too far aft. I doubt that even a good autopilot could keep it level then.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Lazflyn

Sorry, a little background might be in order. I have been flying rc planes and helicopters for years. I have flown 100+ mph planes with no trouble and can bang a heli around. The autopilot would not be a band-aide for my flying, but a fun way to play with the systems now available.

Thank you for the reference to the NSRCA for trimming. I will try that out.

Do these types of models tend to come out tail heavy? I will balance it per spec. I have read about guys flying these types of models having to add down thrust and move the CG away from the manual.

Thanks for sharing some of the strengths and a gotcha with the rearward CG. Sounds like this will be a great model. I am excited to see this come together. I only wish there were more guys flying/building these. My guess is I missed that wave by about 7 years.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)