Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
The Wings Maker EDF-32
The Wings Maker EDF-32
Quick building ARF by The Wings Maker
Published by Don Sims
03-13-2016
Default The Wings Maker EDF-32

I had a Panther from The Wings Maker for several years and liked how it flew but it was really worse for wear. So I decided to see how much a replacement fuselage was and found they had a kit for around $60.00 shipped after checking their website. http://www.thewingsmaker.com All the electronics and EDF unit from my Panther would fit in the EDF-32 and the main components looked like the same but the EDF-32 was a bit cheaper so I ordered one. Within a few days a box was waiting on the back porch.

The box was well packed and there was no damage to the plane. Components were in individual bags and taped to the box to keep them in place during shipping. The instruction booklet was 10 pages with plenty of photos and easy to follow directions.

After reading the instruction booklet and separating the parts, it was time to start on the wings. Using five minute epoxy it was easy to glue on the wing tips and mount the servos. The servo mounts were fairly strong and well designed. The servos needed extensions to reach the inside of the fuselage. Because I had pulled the servos and mounts out of my old Panther I simply CA glued them in the new wing and used the new cover on top of my old ones so it looked clean.

One thing that impressed me about this model was the improvements that The Wings Maker had made. They added plywood supports in the nose area which had been a weakness in the first Panther that I flew. They also added a grip area under the fuselage which made it easier to throw. Lastly they added a plastic dummy cowling.

Included in the kit was double stick tape for the speed control and receiver as well as strapping tape which helped reinforce the ailerons. Screws to secure the EDF unit and magnets which were embedded in plywood for the hatches and basic hardware for the aileron controls.

Once the fuselage was glued together using five minute epoxy I glued all the magnets to the hatches and added the vertical fin. Then it was time to install the ducted fan unit, speed control, and receiver which had come out of the Panther.

Another interesting thing that they had done was have a hole in the fuselage to keep the speed control cooler. They recommended a 30 amp speed control but I had a 50 amp one laying around and decided to use it instead. A carbon fiber tube helps support the wings and they had slots in the wings for the tube then you jam pieces of foam into the wings to cover the slots. Slots were also in the wings and fuselage for the servo leads. Now it was starting to look like a plane and it was time to start adding decals.

Putting the decals on the EDF-32 actually took longer than putting the plane together. The Wings Maker instruction booklet had several photos of where all the decals went but they had to be cut of the sheet then applied. Once they were all applied I was ready to maiden the plane but it was raining and the flight had to be postponed.

I'd like to say that the maiden went well but it didn't through no fault of the plane. I didn't check the center of gravity again before launching the plane and in she went after an exciting short flight. I was happy the nose area had been beefed up and after running hot water over the nose area was able to coax it back into shape again. After that I added some weight to the nose area and tried it again. Flight two went better but I had to call it a day when it started to rain again.

Specifications
Wingspan: 33 inches / 850 mm Overall Length: 26.5inches / 675 mm Wing Area: 299 sq inches / 19.3 sq dm
Equipment Used:
Motor: KM0283110 Outrunner 3600 Kv Speed Control: 50 amp HK Servos: 9 gr metal geared Battery: 3s or 4s 2200
Retail Price:
$99.99 pre-assembled combo or $49.99 kit
Manufacturer
http://www.thewingsmaker.com

Author review
Kit Instructions:
90%90%90%
Materials & Packaging:
100%100%100%
Ease of Build & Finish:
90%90%90%
Design & Appearance:
70%70%70%
General Flight Characteristics:
80%80%80%
Performance Capabilities:
70%70%70%
Maintenance & Repair:
90%90%90%
Average 84%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Old 03-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Administrator

This is a work in progress.

Don
Old 03-13-2016, 11:49 PM
Administrator

I'll update the flight portion of the review when I get the chance ot fly the DF-032 some more.

Don
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews