Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Brushless Motor Construction
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Brushless Motor Construction Discuss design and construction of custom Brushless motors

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)
Default Broken Magnets E-Flite Power 60 & 90

I have 2 E-Flite motors with magnet problems. I bought the motors on eBay as used motors, only 2 out of 4 motors have problems. The wiring seems to check out fine on all motors.

The Power 60 has 2 magnets that are broken in half at about the middle, I think it was dropped on the floor. I have the pieces with almost no chips missing.

If I glue these pieces back in place, removing any tiny particles, will this motor run properly?
Or do I have to find magnets of the correct size and magnetic type?

The power 90 is another matter, about 50% of the magnets are broken all to I have no idea what happened to this motor, unless it was dropped several times.

Has anyone tried to buy an outer bell with magnet from Horizon Hobby?
Or is there any way to buy the correct magnets.?

Someone told me we can use JB weld to glue the magnets in outrunners. Is that true, or is there a better epoxy glue to use?

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Sorry to read you got some broken motors. I have heard people use ca, or epoxy to glue them back in. I don't have enough knowledge to give you a answer on how those broken magnets might work glued back in. If you can measure them this site has a lot of different sizes you might find the one you need. Good luck sure some motor guru will chime in with better help.
http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=37
Old 10-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

yikes! that really stinks. i have several eflite 60's in my planes and have considered them the best spent money on motors to date.[ i can't afford axi or scorpions]

several of the old turnigy SK series 50-55-580kv i had in all my larger planes had quality control build issues where magnets regularly came loose. i managed to pull the housing and drip ca into all area's of the magnets and did that on new motors i hadn't even used. now i have a drawer with 4 of these motors going unused.

I'm sure horizon service dept will have the answerers you need,but at what cost and effort to repair these 2 motors...it may be easier to return them if you can to the ebay seller and buy new ones.your a trusting person to buy used motors......i'v often seen irrissistable prices on them but hold off out of fear. i hope you can get it resolved cheap and quickly.stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I have 2 E-Flite motors with magnet problems. I bought the motors on eBay as used motors, only 2 out of 4 motors have problems. The wiring seems to check out fine on all motors.

The Power 60 has 2 magnets that are broken in half at about the middle, I think it was dropped on the floor. I have the pieces with almost no chips missing.

If I glue these pieces back in place, removing any tiny particles, will this motor run properly?

The power 90 is another matter, about 50% of the magnets are broken all to I have no idea what happened to this motor, unless it was dropped several times.

Someone told me we can use JB weld to glue the magnets in outrunners. Is that true, or is there a better epoxy glue to use?
Jb Weld or a high temp epoxy will work fine to replace the magnets with, just make sure to get the polarity right, a few tiny chips missing wont hurt a thing. use some thin CA to glue the magnet back together with, then epoxy it back into the motor housing, hope that helps, Chellie

high temp epoxy is not cheap

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Epoxy%20U...52225/?whence=

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I tried epoxying a magnet back into one of high power Westor motors ... it runs but not well .

As I see it there are two important apsects to make sure of :

a) That magnet sits against bell and is not raised in any fraction compared to the others ...

b) that spacing of re-glued magnets is carefully set so gap to next magnet is same as others ...

I keep meaning to go back to my Westor .. and re-glue ... see if I can sort it.

As regards motors that give up the ghost and basically become shelf ornaments ... DON'T THROW AWAY ... the shafts can be used in other motors, the magnets make excellent canopy magnets, magnets if same as another motor can be used ... even the windings wire is good as locking wire .... and even as flying wires etc. The bearings may be good to use ... Sharpen up the bell edge and use as cutter for perfect circles in foam for motors to pass through etc.

Just because it doesn't swing a prop anymore does not mean it's trash-can.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
subzJC
flyer

Friends: (0)

I have found the "steel" part in jb weld is
attracted by the magnets and will go
to places not desired. I wouldn't do it again.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

This thread is a bit older, but I've used CA to secure magnets in some of those Go Brushless motor "wind you own kits".

The procedure is to very carefully clean the area under where the magnet is going to be placed, perhaps even cleaning it with one of those micro-files available from Harbor Freight, among other places.

Then, place the magnet in place, and secure it with a drop of thin CA. Make certain you have the proper North-South orientation for the magnet.

Next, get a box of baking soda from the kitchen, and lay some of that baking soda on each side of the re-glued magnet, level across, front to back of the magnet. Make certain the baking soda doesn't stick out above the magnet. FYI, that CA/Baking Soda trick isn't new, that's been around for years.

Then hit that baking soda with a few drops of thin CA, enough to saturate the baking soda. The result is instant concrete. Removing any of it will require a metal file. And, it seems to be pretty much immune to heat.

I secured the magnets of a half dozen 150 Watt Go-Brushless motors. None of the magnets ever came loose.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
the magnets make excellent canopy magnets, magnets if same as another motor can be used ...

Nigel
For those in the USA, one supplier of these high powered magnets of all sizes from pin head size to giant size is:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11 Would not be surprised if they have replacement sizes to match some of the brushless motors out there.

We used some of those magnets in a very high powered magnetic actuator that moved about 1/2 inch with about 400 pounds of force behind it. Travel time was on the order of 10 milliseconds.

The magnets inside these things could lift some 500 pounds on a heavy steel block. And, those things were nothing to play around with. I got my fingers between two of them. It didn't stop bleeding for 9 hours. Make absolutely certain no children can get access to them. If two are swallowed, it's a medical emergency.

DennyV
Old 12-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

Thanks to a modeler on RCgroups, I now have a perfect running E-flite Power 90.
The one he had was damaged in some way other than the magnets and bell housing. So I bought it from him for a reasonable price.

I put his bell housing on my stator and bearings and BINGO I have a good motor.
I haven't had a chance to work on the Power 60 yet, but I have hopes for it also.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Ohm
cursed

Club: AMA Member

I found replacement magnets for my Eflite park 480 from these folks
hkcm.de engineering.com I tried to post a link to the site but something aint working right.
Any way HKCM will make a batch of custom magnets if you want to pay at least $250.00 for minimum order, the smaller the mag the more you get for the 250 and vice versa. BUT they do have in stock or left overs from other orders and with some searches done over time I found magnets that would fit and were stronger. Cost about $13.00. The stronger magnets lowered the Kv but a rewind with larger wire and fewer turns (star) will upgrade the Parks 480 into a much better motor than what came out of the box. Which in my observation are inefficient as sold imho.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6956.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	175924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6942.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	175925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6944.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	175926  
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Thank you, I did a Google search and found them at---- https://www.hkcm.de/app.contact.php?...d336c9ec6aef08

I will measure my magnets again, and contact them.

I think you have to have a few more posts, in order to post a link. Just a way to try and keep this board clean, the mods do a great job.

Welcome to Wattflyer, please tell me more about rewinding, I have a Power 52 that I believe has a short in the windings, it will get warm slowly running at 4 amps with no prop.
I have several Park 480's but haven't flown them, what performance do you get out of your rewound one? (This reminds me of what we did with slot cars in the 60's)

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Thank you, I did a Google search and found them at---- https://www.hkcm.de/app.contact.php?...d336c9ec6aef08

I think you have to have a few more posts, in order to post a link. Just a way to try and keep this board clean, the mods do a great job.

Welcome to Wattflyer, please tell me more about rewinding, I have a Power 52 that I believe has a short in the windings, it will get warm slowly running at 4 amps with no prop.
I have several Park 480's but haven't flown them, what performance do you get out of your rewound one? (This reminds me of what we did with slot cars in the 60's)
Here is another source of magnets.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11

DennyV
Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Your motors will get slightly warm while running with no load. The critical item is the no load current pulled, as compared to the motor specifications of no load current.

Shorted turns in a motor will result in increasing that no load current. And, at the same time, those shorted turns are going to get HOT. It would be a good idea to do this test with a fuse in line with your battery to the ESC. Don't want to blow an ESC on a shorted motor. A good fuse size would be perhaps 30 - 50% of the ESC current rating.

If you have access to a battery powered drill that can turn over perhaps 1000 RPM, chuck up your motor to the drill and slowly increase the RPM. (With all three leads isolated from each other.) There should be little or no drag on the stationary part of the motor, even while turning over at 1000 RPM. And, again, if your motor has shorted turns, spinning that motor at 1000 RPM with the battery operated drill is going to make those shorted turns get HOT. If you remove the bell from the motor immediately after spinning up the motor, it will be easy to locate the shorted winding. Just touch it.

Here is more info on checking out your brushless motors:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216

Check out posting #31 in this thread.

DennyV
Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Just touch it.

I don't think so Denny, that's why I have an infrared thermometer.
I am going to get a contact probe type soon.

I haven't played with these motors for a while. I hope to get some time to check them soon.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Just touch it.

I don't think so Denny, that's why I have an infrared thermometer.
I am going to get a contact probe type soon.

I haven't played with these motors for a while. I hope to get some time to check them soon.
Lol I knew someone would get me on that! I've got two infra red thermometers plus a couple of thermocouple types too.

DennyV
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

www.supermagnetman.com (USA)

www.supermagnete.eu (Europe)

Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
Ohm
cursed

I have an E-Flite Twist 3D 480 that was powered by the Park 480 (2810) with a TP 3S 2100 spinning the APC 12X6, the AUW came in at about 30oz. With a custom wound Silver Plum(?) (2808) ($6.00 from Leaders Hobby) the rig weighs in at 24oz AUW. Using a Star connection instead of Delta it reduced the current draw by about 10A @ WOT. With the a lower current motor (doing the same work) I was able to use a smaller battery (TP 3S 1350) pack since my WOT Amps dropped from about 29A to 19A. I also did some mods to the rigging to remove tail weight, so as not to have to add dead weight in the nose. Net results is a lighter airplane that performs better than OEM. Flite time is 6 to 10 minutes depending on how hard I want to fly it.
Big price difference between a 1350 and a 2100 so not only do I get a better performing plane but a significant savings on battery cost.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	175941   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7318.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	175942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7247.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	175943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7317.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	175946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7336.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	175947  

Old 06-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by Ohm View Post
... Using a Star connection instead of Delta it reduced the current draw by about 10A @ WOT. With the a lower current motor (doing the same work) I was able to use a smaller battery (TP 3S 1350) pack since my WOT Amps dropped from about 29A to 19A. ...
By going from delta to star you lowered Kv by a factor √3. Kv_delta= √3 Kv_star. Same for torque. And since motorcurrent wants to go up with voltage squared and Kv cubed ...

Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #19
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
Thanks Ron,
I had contacted them, and they tried very hard but could not come up with the right size of magnets. The head guy even contacted me in the middle of a business trip in China, I thought that was pretty cool.
I haven't given up on these motors, just other things got in the way.

The Power 90 is working perfect, after a fellow modeler sold me the outer housing with magnets. I just don't have a plane that needs that size of motor. Guess I will have to do something about that.

If I could get a damaged power 60 with enough good magnets, that would be perfect.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
... Here is more info on checking out your brushless motors:
www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216 ...
On Christo's diy motor building site
www.bavaria-direct.co.za
-> motor constants

Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #21
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

BTW wildflyer, you should replace all magnets. Otherwise you end up with different magnet-strengths. And glue them in alternatingly.
Here's a nice method that will give you bomb-proof magnets
www.torcman.com
-> downloads
-> Assembly Procedure TM280, 350, 430
-> Chapter 3: The Rotor

Old 06-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #22
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Thanks again Ron
I know I have to rewind my power 52, I will unwind it carefully to determine the winding pattern the used, and compare that to others.

I would only replace some of the magnets if they came from the same motor, and only then if I could not get a full set.
I know I should replace all magnets and that's where the problem starts. On these motors, the front of the magnets (deepest end in the housing) fit into notches in the aluminum front housing. If I could cut the end of a magnet down by .5 mm maybe I could find them easier.
I will study the sites you showed me, thanks.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #23
Ohm
cursed

Thanks again Ron
I know I have to rewind my power 52, I will unwind it carefully to determine the winding pattern the used, and compare that to others.

I would only replace some of the magnets if they came from the same motor, and only then if I could not get a full set.
I know I should replace all magnets and that's where the problem starts. On these motors, the front of the magnets (deepest end in the housing) fit into notches in the aluminum front housing. If I could cut the end of a magnet down by .5 mm maybe I could find them easier.
I will study the sites you showed me, thanks.
I have not heard of a method to safely and reliably cut magnets at home, but if you figure it out let us know.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Ohm View Post
I have not heard of a method to safely and reliably cut magnets at home, but if you figure it out let us know.
If my fading memory is correct, cutting and breathing in magnet dust is not good for your health

DennyV
Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
Ohm
cursed

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
If my fading memory is correct, cutting and breathing in magnet dust is not good for your health
Breathing air has proven fatal to everything that breaths it, how bad can a little magnetic dust be?

There is nothing so simple it can't be done wrong.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Brushless Motor Construction