Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Brushless Motor Construction
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Brushless Motor Construction Discuss design and construction of custom Brushless motors

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
drummaker

Club: South Bend RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default mount reversal

I have purchased this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=34108
motor for A t6 Texan Kit I am putting together. I realize now I should not buy a motor till I actually get the kit unless I am buying exactly what is recommended.

I now know that this motor needs to mount inside the mount with the shaft extending through.

I have read a bunch of posts all over the internet about reversing a motor since every outrunner I have seen mounts on the Back of the motor.

2 Questions
Are there outrunners which already are set up that way? and If so how would I know tht

and

I believe that since I am trying to have the shaft come out the back so to speak that I can just loosen the allen bolt, and press the shaft till it extends out the other side then re tighten the bolt.

I am thinking I can make s flat spot on the shaft where it will be lined up with the allen bolt. I can then just take the C clip off the now propeller end. I think I can do this because there is no longer a need to hold the shaft from that end because the motor now wants to pull itself together with Prop thrust instead of appart

Is this correct?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
drummaker

Default mount reversal

I have purchased this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=34108
motor for A t6 Texan Kit I am putting together. I realize now I should not buy a motor till I actually get the kit unless I am buying exactly what is recommended.

I now know that this motor needs to mount inside the mount with the shaft extending through.

I have read a bunch of posts all over the internet about reversing a motor since every outrunner I have seen mounts on the Back of the motor.

2 Questions
Are there outrunners which already are set up that way? and If so how would I know tht

and

I believe that since I am trying to have the shaft come out the back so to speak that I can just loosen the allen bolt, and press the shaft till it extends out the other side then re tighten the bolt.

I am thinking I can make s flat spot on the shaft where it will be lined up with the allen bolt. I can then just take the C clip off the now propeller end. I think I can do this because there is no longer a need to hold the shaft from that end because the motor now wants to pull itself together with Prop thrust instead of appart

Is this correct?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sounds like you're on the right track. Just look carefully, as from my experience, I've seen some motors with set screws on both ends, some on one, some I think even had two c-clips. Just look careful, and if things don't want to move, stop and look. Though the shafts can be pretty tight sometimes.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Though the shafts can be pretty tight sometimes.
+1 - I am waiting for one that is not fantastically tight. In fact I just don't reverse them anymore. Just too much of a pain.

If you have a drill press - you may be OK but otherwise I don't recommend it.

Mike
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
BBCorvette18

Friends: (0)

That is how I have that motors big brother setup on my fun cub and it works perfect
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422

I think one of these rotor end adapters from Heads Up RC might work on your motor:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Adapter/Detail

I would check with Jeff at HURC to confirm, but if so they save messing with reversing the shaft. Their FirePower 370 is similar to the motor you bought and uses this adapter.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

Hi, On some motors you can reverse the motor shaft, but not on all with out doing a lot of surgery, here is a nice outrunner that should do the job for you, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1600kv.html or you can buy a inrunner motor
save the out runner motor that you just bought for another project, if you try to modify it, chances are that it will get ruined, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Some motors you can just buy a longer shaft, grind a flat spot for the set screw to fit in, and cut off the other end.

I have used the headsuprc shafts in several different motors this way.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
drummaker

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi, On some motors you can reverse the motor shaft, but not on all with out doing a lot of surgery, here is a nice outrunner that should do the job for you, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1600kv.html or you can buy a inrunner motor
save the out runner motor that you just bought for another project, if you try to modify it, chances are that it will get ruined, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483
Wow Thanks I am going to buy it
Old 03-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
drummaker

Originally Posted by drummaker View Post
Wow Thanks I am going to buy it
oh but no prop recommendation

got any idea?
8x6?
maybe?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #11
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
If you have a drill press - you may be OK but otherwise I don't recommend it.
Hey mike, I am still learning here, but what dose a drill press have to do with the shaft being too tight. You lost me buddy.

Drummaker, You know, if you are looking to just "Get rid" of that other motor....I'll take it. PM you my address and everything.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
Hey mike, I am still learning here, but what dose a drill press have to do with the shaft being too tight. You lost me buddy.

Drummaker, You know, if you are looking to just "Get rid" of that other motor....I'll take it. PM you my address and everything.
You use the drill press as a press to push the shaft.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
You use the drill press as a press to push the shaft.
OK, I can see how that would work. Thanks.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Dukepiles

I'm having kind of the same issue i purchased a aeroworks su-31 profile and a park 400 to power it. i have to reverse the shaft so i can mount it. i was able to get the shaft out and swap it over but my question is about securing it. the E-Flite instructions are not that in depth about it. Do i need to grind a flat spot for the set screw seeing as its only on the one side?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-23 14.26.30.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	169543   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-23 15.27.26.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	169544   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-23 15.27.49.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	169545   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-23 15.26.15.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	169546  
Old 10-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
cyclops2
Super Contributor

I did many swapping ends.

Each motor requires their own unique take apart & reassembly sequence. PRE OILING ALL THE SHAFT ENDS is a must to slowly slide the shaft or the shaft & close fitting bearing out of the motor non spinning housing.

ONLY PRESS a motors parts....apart !! Hitting with anything DOES damage the bearings & BULGE the ends of any shaft.

Always remove ALL ALL the retaining clips or set screw retainers from both ends FIRST..... THEN do all the pressing.

THINK ...........Before pressing. .......I have been asleep & tried to force a shaft .....FURTHER .....into a end bell. Dumb.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Brushless Motor Construction