Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
garyp1029

Friends: (0)
Default Dynam Waco Motor Failure

This morning I flew my Dynam Waco (using the stock set-up 4s 2200 battery and 12/6 prop) for the first time (and it flew beautifully), but on the 3rd flight the motor began making a loud metallic noise, so I landed the plane. I found the drive shaft/propellar almost frozen and very difficult to turn. It seemed to catch every few mm of hand turning. When I first unboxed the plane I had noticed a mild catching, but being an electric newbie I thought it would loosen up after running. Obviously, I was wrong. The motors of my first two planes---Apprentice and Super Sportster rxr---turn freely and smoothly. I emailed Nitro this AM and told them the story and asked for a new replacement motor. The phone number on their website---626 968-9860---does not work, and the substitute given is only 7 digits long---626 0664---and is therefore incomplete. SO . . . do you agree that the motor was defective OR is there another factor that should be considered Thanks. Gary P.S.--Does anyone have their complete 10 digit number?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Hard to say but normally these motors only fail from defect or foreign objects getting into them. Many hours of use on the motors I have from models in this series.

Dynam usually makes good motors. I've never had one fail and I have 4 Dynam motors that are over 8 years old. Reports of failures that are not due to crash damage are rare.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

[QUOTEThe phone number on their website---626 968-9860[/QUOTE]

I called the number and got a response to choose sales or tech support. They also have a live chat function you might try.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by garyp1029 View Post
This morning I flew my Dynam Waco (using the stock set-up 4s 2200 battery and 12/6 prop) for the first time (and it flew beautifully), but on the 3rd flight the motor began making a loud metallic noise, so I landed the plane. I found the drive shaft/propellar almost frozen and very difficult to turn. It seemed to catch every few mm of hand turning. When I first unboxed the plane I had noticed a mild catching, but being an electric newbie I thought it would loosen up after running. Obviously, I was wrong. The motors of my first two planes---Apprentice and Super Sportster rxr---turn freely and smoothly. I emailed Nitro this AM and told them the story and asked for a new replacement motor. The phone number on their website---626 968-9860---does not work, and the substitute given is only 7 digits long---626 0664---and is therefore incomplete. SO . . . do you agree that the motor was defective OR is there another factor that should be considered Thanks. Gary P.S.--Does anyone have their complete 10 digit number?
I wonder if a magnet came loose?

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

That was my thought as well. That, or some foreign matter in the motor.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
garyp1029

Friends: (0)

I got the original phone number working and got through to Nitro. They told me to send the motor back for replacement. I took the motor off and found that the 4 screws holding the motor onto the X mount were loose, in fact very loose. When turned by hand the crankshaft turns with a clunk, clunk, clunk noise. I don't know what the problems is, but I suspect it was there from the start and damaged the motor even more from flying. As I said there was a little "hitch" in the motor out of the box. I guess I should have notified Nitro at that time. Anyway, I'll mail it back today. Thanks. Gary
Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

sounding a bit like a loose screw got in the motor.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions