Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)
Default club field getting solar panels!!!bummer!!!

hey gang,it was bad enough i discovered i have AFIB heart issues during the last club meeting......but heres a picture of the beautiful field i fly at. at the meeting we were notified that the town is installing solar panels on approx 5 acker of their land. the site is on the lower end of the property as the hills of grass are still settling garbage. problem is these panels are in line with our runway and off to the right when looking at the picture and the road entering into the area.

we can still fly,but one damaged panel do to wayward crash and our field will be lost forever. yes!folks have gone down there including me.

my hope is we'll be relocating the flight stands to the fields end with the panels behind our back,relocate the helie field to along side the parking lot and build a new landing area on a diagnal......if this doesn't happen,I'm sure a newbie will visit the field and loose the site for us all. lets hope the board passes the change for the best of the club and all its users.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 229.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	167194  

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

At first I thought, what's wrong with getting solar panels? Power at the field! Didn't realize they weren't your solar panels! Hopefully you guys can make the necessary changes to work with them. Good luck! (And take care of your ticker! Must have been a heated meeting...)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Stu!

AFIB? That doesn't sound like much fun. Have you gotten any diagnosis yet? From what I understand, AFIB can be a symptom of almost anything, including stress and a bunch of benign things.

I hope things work out for your club. You already know this, but you're always welcome as my guest at any of my two clubs. Ok, GCA (the one in Washington, NJ) has solar panels too, but we use them to charge batteries!

I hope to see you this season. If nothing else, we should get together for the SSS Electric FunFly. That was a BLAST last year!

AMA #959089
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

hello njs! the plan for the treatment is blood thinners to clear a clot in the chamber of the heart,then they shock the heart back to normal beating. till then I'll have to deal with the afib for 6 weeks unless the heart sorts it out on its own.

i could join a club thats another 20mins north of where i fly now but their membership may be closed for limiting the number of members. for our field i think we'll have to reposition the flight line and make sure no newbees fly with out common sense when the good pilots are not around. thats my biggest fear.plus we have a few pilots bent on flying over 100mph and have been known to crash there parkjets...opps,thats me.

as far as the fun fly goes...COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!!,LET ME KNOW THE DATES!!!you have a friendly group at the fun fly.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
weathervane
Needs more LED's

View weathervane's Gallery14
Club: Wright Flyers
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  1kW 
Friends: (12)

I have a few extra solar panels. 185 watts each. I offered them to the club to be used for a charging station. Our club prez was afraid they would be stolen. We are on an old landfill. Closed to the public, but we get a lot of dirt bikers back there.It is probably for the best.

Maryland Electric Day Spectacular, Charity fly in.
Wrightflyers, club treasurer
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeyikz4/
http://www.wrightflyers.org/
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i may have understated why the solar panels are a bummer. I'm not talking a few panels for recharging lipos.........it 100's of them to supply power to the town. installation and operation won't cost the town a penny. its pretty sure they'll be spread over 5 acres. thats the five thats at the end of our runway area no less.if it proves successful,what to stop them from over taking the whole site?

I'd be very happy if we could charge our batteries off them and if we damaged one with a plane we'd all just laugh it off to having a good time........affraid the only off will be the club from flying there anymore. i have no close by club I'd want to fly my larger planes at. sure hope the panels don't get installed but the schedule says 3 months and construction begins.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
weathervane
Needs more LED's

View weathervane's Gallery14
Club: Wright Flyers
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  1kW 
Friends: (12)

Stuart, I miss read your first post. Yea, that would really suck to lose your flying site.
-Andrew

Maryland Electric Day Spectacular, Charity fly in.
Wrightflyers, club treasurer
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeyikz4/
http://www.wrightflyers.org/
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
cc83

Friends: (0)

I hope you feel better Stu. I too fly at this site and I think it's only a matter of time before someone hits a panel and that's the end of a wonderful flying site. I think even if a panel breaks by other causes the fingers are going to be pointed at us.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

dude ,this su.ks! sorry for the grip but every field where i live is a school yard or parks with ball fields for soccer and baseball. tis the season from now thru fall that our parks get heavily used and evening flying stinks.

i found a small area in front of the tenafly middle school to fly the airfoils foamy edge this evening but a walker came up behind me and stood by my side talking. all i could do with flying there for the first time was tight figure 8's and simple areobatics due to being new to that area....grrrrr,only little wind to deal with and nowhere to fly.

I'll be trying to hookup with fellow club members to meet around 5:30pm but cc83 knows it's tough flying at a club that doesn't allow flying alone. in fact the club wants spotters standing near pilots when flyingwhich isn't a big deal when theres 15-20 pilots at the field on a saturday morning.

this new spotter rule is overkill when theres only a few pilots at the field in the evening, and these new rules are to enforce a new tighter flying pattern that should stop folks flying the area where the solar panels are going. from what i can see,we are doomed!! guys aren't obeying the rules already when the old timers leave early.the old timers are the guys who fly everyday,purpose the rules at he club meeting for votes, and have been in the club the longest. they have everything to loose do to one bad pilot making a really bad decision to disregard the rules. i really wish i could find a farm area to fly over..lol...just arn't any near bergen county.

oh well,sorry for venting...will get a whole day flying Saturday and hopefully Sunday afternoon after church and lunch with good friends. I'll be eating fast on sunday...lol.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
hey gang,it was bad enough i discovered i have AFIB heart issues during the last club meeting..
Two guys in my RC club have the same issue. Both of them had pacemakers installed. One is 72 years old, and was working part time up until this spring as a truck driver, steering those big tandem axle dump trucks. After having that pacemaker for two years, the trucking company thought it wasn't a good idea for him to keep driving. So, he's officially retired.

He is still flying his $$$$ wet turbine models though.

The second member had more problems with the AFIB. The main issue was getting his medications adjusted to work right. Now, he's doing very well. He's also 77 years old, and plans to return to flying his giant scale models this summer.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

I know North Branch Park is a bit of a longer drive for you, but I will make sure they take you in if you'd like to become a member down there. We'd be honored to have you there!

I hope it works out for you up in Rockland, though!

AMA #959089
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

good news,those old timers decided during the week that spotters aren't necessary any more. that was a short lived rule I'm glad to see gone.

bad news,i drilled the ajslick into the area away from the pit area,but behind the flight line. pride and reputation both damaged and slick destroyed.

thanks for the club offer,but i really am hoping things work out here......certainly don't want to be the one to damage the panels.

the afib and addition meds is a bummer and i hope the cardiologist is able to shock the old ticker back to normal rhythm,i did a little yard work today after flying and really have to pull back on the stress till thing are sorted out with the rhythm. i am only 57 and have had a heart attack in 04,open heart surgery in 09,and now this in 2013..........i hope i make it to 77 and beyond. may have to stop eating popcorn.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

the afib and addition meds is a bummer and i hope the cardiologist is able to shock the old ticker back to normal rhythm,i did a little yard work today after flying and really have to pull back on the stress till thing are sorted out with the rhythm. i am only 57 and have had a heart attack in 04,open heart surgery in 09,and now this in 2013..........i hope i make it to 77 and beyond. may have to stop eating popcorn.
Heart attack in 04? My wife had open heart surgery in 1997 (no heart attack). Her heart is still going strong, its just everything else that's falling apart.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

dooooogh!!!!! to cruel,hope she doesn't check your posts,we'd hate to lose ya.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

good news,those old timers decided during the week that spotters aren't necessary any more. that was a short lived rule I'm glad to see gone.

bad news,i drilled the ajslick into the area away from the pit area,but behind the flight line. pride and reputation both damaged and slick destroyed.

thanks for the club offer,but i really am hoping things work out here......certainly don't want to be the one to damage the panels.

Sorry to hear about the Slick, but especially sorry to hear about your heart problems. I'm probably the worst Christian in the world, but I'm sending a little prayer your way anyway!

BTW, I have a 3DHS 41" Edge that needs some minor motor box repair. I think we can work out a really good deal if you want something to put the gear from the Slick into.

AMA #959089
Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #16
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

it's been a year since i first heard of the panels,over the winter the story was the panels were going to be located in a far corner of the dump. that was out of our way and pretty safe for us all to fly.

well,thats changed...the panels are going in now and not using 5 acers...now its 14!!!!! coming right up the hill we fly over all the time.

i just found out this news tonight and the club is cutting a new runway/landing field to be ready in a few weeks.relocating flight tables. issues are the helie guys are on one end of the new runway and also we may get noise complaints from residences nearby that side of our field. i guess we will also be facing west into the sunset.

we may have to put beginners on buddyboxs, also those pilots that crash alot like the guy who crashed over the flightline into the parking lot last weekend.

as for me,i have several planes requiring the need for space to fly and my need for speed pusher planes make lots of noise while needing space. off to the shore for vacation,will return in 2 weeks and hope to still have a flying field to go to,and a club of good ol boys still getting along with each other.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat