Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
E-flite UMX Habu
E-flite UMX Habu
Published by thepiper92
10-14-2014
Default E-flite UMX Habu

The UMX Habu is overall a great flying plane, although much slower than I initially expected. Currently I am waiting for a new fuse, and wings, as I ended up smashing it up (my fault, although the first crash was a sudden signal loss).

Initial setup was easy enough, although one has to make sure the elevator is centered (two push rods control the elevator, not just one). Trim was overall not an issue, just a little tweaking of the rudder push rod and getting a place to balance the plane. Instructions suggest 37mm from root of wing, but others chimed in that 40-45mm was a better CG. My first flights were just guessing the CG

The first flight was a tad tail heavy I feel, although it was a windy and cold day, so it isn't the best conditions to test a plane. I gathered than because many were using bigger batteries, and with a CG further back, my 200mah pack should be pretty far back, but I put it a bit to far back. My next flights were without the gear on, and while it was a better day for flying, the plane was noticeably faster and more agile. Even with the gear on, flight is good nonetheless.

Take off is easy enough; hand throwing takes about full throttle and a good toss with little drop in altitude and with gear, full throttle is actually not the answer, but about 70-80% throttle. With full throttle the plane actually loses thrust, and take off is longer and the plane wants to stall if you try to take it up to quickly. On a lower throttle, the plane seems to get up to speed a bit better and taking off is less finicky.

The plane really isn't that fast in flight, especially with gear on, and I was somewhat surprised that it wasn't going faster. Even so, rolls are lightning quick and elevator is responsive. Vertical from full throttle lasts about 3-5 seconds, allowing for a couple quick rolls in vertical and then it slows to nothing. Stall is predictable and the Habu, more or less, just levels off or goes into a slight dive. If you are running gear, rolls are slower and less axial and vertical (due to a slower overall speed and more drag) is shorter.

Flight times are okay, nothing like the 5-6 minutes my LHS quoted me, but 3:30 on around full throttle the whole flight. If you stick to a lower throttle the whole flight, 4 should be possible. With gear, flight time goes down a bit, but not really that noticeable.

Landing is, for me at least, very difficult. Perhaps this is because all I have ever flown is tail draggers, but I find the gear too bouncy; even taking it down to a near stall speed and landing I get the plane hopping about everywhere. The gear also bends easy, usually all three bending backwards a bit. I suppose part of the issue is the the gear isn't wire that comes out diagonally from closer to the fuse and then down, but just thin wire with no "suspension" and also not stiff enough to stop bounce. No doubt my flying of only tail draggers comes into play, as I gather on tricycle style gear you want to land on the rear and then bring the front down, but it will take me some time getting used to it. The gear isn't the best design, maybe a bit stiffer of wire with a design to add suspension would help. Without gear, landing is simply just belly landing, which is easy enough

Other than the landing gear, my only gripes are the fan being out of balance a bit, the color (rather have a military look), and the fact that it doesn't have a closed in battery area, which would finish it off nicer, and perhaps increase aerodynamics. The plane is really fun to fly, and it was when I was having too much fun that I plowed it into the grass, destroying the nose, canopy and one wing.
Specifications
Wingspan: 14.6 in Overall Length: 17.5 in Wing Area: 54.0 sq. in. Flying Weight: 2.65 oz
Equipment Used:
Motor:11750Kv Speed Control: AS6410NBL Servos: A2030L Battery: E-flite 200mah 25C and 30C
Retail Price:
$124.99
Manufacturer
E-Flite

Author review
Kit Instructions:
100%100%100%
Materials & Packaging:
80%80%80%
Ease of Build & Finish:
100%100%100%
Design & Appearance:
70%70%70%
General Flight Characteristics:
80%80%80%
Performance Capabilities:
70%70%70%
Maintenance & Repair:
80%80%80%
Average 83%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

« Previous Review | Next Review »