Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
time bandit

Friends: (12)
Default Thunder AC6 dual power question

I'm back into R/C planes and have this AC6 charger from about five years ago. I have noticed when I go online to look for battery packs to buy the balance plug looks different from the ones I bought before. Is my charger out of date? Have all the battery companies changed their balance plugs? The battery pack I have left is from an old Hawksky kit. Everything online says JHT XS series. I don't know what kind my old battery has but they look almost the same but I don't know if they will fit into my chargers ports. I hope this makes sense.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

JST-XH is by far the most common type of balance connector, however a very few manufacturers use their own propitiatory connector. Thunder Power (the makers of your charger) being one of them. Your charger will only accept Thunder Power balance plugs, though you can get adapters.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
time bandit

Well I just found out what you have posted. There's a LHS that has ONYX batteries that fit my charger port. I have to swap over for deans plugs which is not a problem. This didn't seem to a problem a few years ago. Everybody has to be different. Geeezz.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by time bandit View Post
Well I just found out what you have posted. There's a LHS that has ONYX batteries that fit my charger port. I have to swap over for deans plugs which is not a problem. This didn't seem to a problem a few years ago. Everybody has to be different. Geeezz.
Take a look at this link.....could help out in the long run:

http://www.rtf-heli.com/lipo_chargers_adapters.html

I bought the large bundle multi plug package and the modified balance plug board from them a few years ago......been lucky I guess, have not purchased any battery it did not match.

AMA 928214
Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
time bandit

Thanks for the info guys. I should have reasoned that there was some gizmo that would plug into what I have now. I swear every time I turn around there's something else I need or have forgotten about in order to get going again in this hobby. But I'm glad to be back.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
time bandit

It's a real shame that these companies won't get on the same page and use the same type connector. They make it difficult for the consumer. Why should I have to buy special balance boards (although inexpensive mostly) to cover the wide range of different balance plugs??

What was I thinking?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

I don't think I've ever bought a battery that didn't have a common balance plug. I've got a 8 year old lipo that also has a standard plug.
I think that ONYX battery might be a little different due to it being a duratrax battery made to go with their charger.
Those rc car guys really get screwed over when it comes to manufacturer specific parts. They spend $500 on a model and then spend double that upgrading it.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The plug used on Sky Lipo, Turnigy and E-Flite packs is the most common. (note that some smaller packs by these companies use a smaller pin spacing plug to save weight with a reduced size plug)

Thunder Power and Poly Quest are among the oddballs.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers