Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Default FMS / BlitzRC Cessna 182 (55-inch) wing span!

Okay, woke up at 4:30am this morning and took out all parts of the model and hardware, plus glue. Finished the assembly right at 7:38am and this includes trying to use the useless Glue that was provided in the Box! I would not recommend using this Glue! The Strut keepers that go on the underside of the wing and FUSE, I used 5-minute epoxy and worked great! I do hope this Glue that came with the model is okay for the Horizontal and Vertical Stabs as that is what I used at this location.

Things I liked about the model:
1. Scale Details, the Struts, Antennas, decals, paint.
2. Magnet detach / reattach Cowl. (Wish FLyZone SENSEI had this...)
3. All cable harnesses and hardware included.
4. All Servos, including those for FLAPS are included! (Hello Park Zone)
5. Brushless Motor and ESC included.
6. Lights Included.
7. Super easy plastic horn and horn anchor plates that go on super easy!
8. Pilot Figure included! (Hello E-Flite!).

Things that I did not Like about the Model:

1. Instructions are super poor and images are really poor quality.
2. Did not know that the Y-Connectors - Extensions were in the Battery hatch!
3. Wing attachment to FUSE is not the best. You need another pair of hands!
4. Plastic Keel that allows the insertion of Wing Dowels made of poor plastic and easy will break.
5. Glue provided should not be used on Plastic parts -to- Foam parts!
6. Spinner is made of cheap Snap-On Plastic! I hope it does not fly Off! (No securing Screws!)
7. The prop adapter had some questionable threads!

BUILD SUMMARY:

Since I was expecting everything in the plastic bags and did NOT see the Y-Connector / Extension Cable Harnesses, I had thought that they were not included and started to search my hobby drawers for some......:censored:

It was not until I was ready to attach the wing -to- FUSE and did so (It was a Royal Pain in the ASHE :censored. You need another pair of hands to keep the two halves of the wings together while you apply downward pressure to allow for the frontal plastic dowels to enter that sorry designed Frontal FUSE plastic keel piece! When I flipped the model upside down and on it's wing assembly, I took off the Battery Hatch where I noticed all the Y-Connectors / Extension cables!!!

Had to take OFF the freaking Wing Assembly from the FUSE to repeat the insertion of the correct Y-Connectors / Extension cables all over again! (This was in a way okay since I had the Lights Disconnected on the first attempt)

The Rectangular Plastic piece that is inserted Vertically and accepts all cables coming from the Wing Assembly (so many wires!) really needs to be larger in width as just too many wires go through here and it was another PAIN IN THE ASHE!!!

IMPORTANT: This is NOT a beginner model in any shape of the imagination! I do realize it is a high wing but, that is the end of the comparison to a real trainer as this model does not have any Dihedral of any sort (perhaps just a Tinney Tiny bit). Also, if you crash this model, the first that will shatter will be the Frontal Plastic Keel piece that accepts the wing plastic dowels!!

A couple of pictures of my Build process (Could not maiden this morning because I have to get a ESC adapter harness so, I can use my batteries that have Ultra Deans!)

Old 08-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Quapo,

Nice build log. I have the same model in my hangar. It was actually my first plane since returning to the hobby last summer. You're spot on about it not being a first plane. Actually put it away for a couple of months and opted for the HZSC. Came back to it and still fly it on occassion. One thing that I has to mod out from the start were the wheels. The wheel pants are sexy but if you're flying off a bumby grass field, forget it. I went with 2.5" Dubros. Still kind of a dog. Two things that kept breaking were the little antenae's on the top of the wing(left them off) and the wing to fuse struts. Several glue apps.

Third plane was the PZ T-28 and I think that one, though a low wing, was easier to fly. 11 planes later in the last year, I'm still experimenting with new models including a handful of scratchbuilt pusher parkjets, some arf edf's and my new first twin-DH-88 Comet.

Might just have to take her out for a Sunday drive now !

Cheers,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Hawk,

Yes, I have read up on this model and seems like the wheels are just too small for grass. I am going to fly her off smooth hard pavement such as...

Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

http://youtu.be/jZDfr9mw6zQ
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Have a great maiden. I'll be interested to hear your opinion !

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Guys,

Perhaps my initial recommendation of this Cessna 182 not being considered as a Trainer was too harsh on my part. What I experienced was a super docile RC Airplane Model and playing with the flaps did not get me into trouble.

I was super amazed on the Super SLOW flying abilities that this model exhibited. There was at least 5 MPH winds by the time I finally commanded the model up for my very first Maiden flight and it handled the wind very well and super stable.

Landings are just majestic on smooth hard surface such as this High School Band Practice "Concrete" surface! I like the Flaps as it allows for slower touch downs.

I did not have any issues!!!

The model flew beyond my expectations!!!:p

http://youtu.be/Hrn4eZe7S04
Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #7
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up 2nd Flight Summary (No Video)

Guys!

I flew it for a second time (No Video) and this time I reduced the Flap travel (Using the Travel Adjust Programming on my Spektrum DX7 menu) and the model flew even better.

This model does not need that much flap travel to slow it down.

I was able to test the reaction of the model in super DEAD Calm conditions, much better than during the initial Maiden Flight as the wind completely died down for the 2nd flight.

Right on approach, I killed all Throttle and allowed the model to glide towards the Smooth Hard Surface and right over the Grass, I applied the Flaps and the model still pitched upwards "slightly" and I just commanded some Down Elevator and it came in for a very smooth landing.

Yes, a little mix of Flaps + DOWN Elevator is recommended but, I like the manual method.

Some pictures post flight(s):

Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Battery Type and Capacity

What are you guys using as far as Battery

I am using the 3-Cell, Turnigy 2200mAH, 25C Discharge, Li-POLYs!

Anyone else?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default 5th Flight Dedicated for Still Images!

Thanks Gerry!

With Flaps deployed!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up 3rd, 4th, and 5th Flights of my new Cessna 182!

Guys,

Thanks to my buddy Gerry (simano) Video Capture using my Digital Point and Shoot 1080p resolution was possible! Thanks Gerry.

The 3rd and 4th flights were recorded in Video and the 5th Flight was dedicated for high resolution Still Image Photography shooting and again thanks to Gerry with his nice SLR Digital Camera. The pictures will be available later in the day.

The Set Screw got lose and it was not because of the hard landings but, rather my inability of tightening it during buildup!

Here are the Videos:

3rd Flight:
http://youtu.be/IevM1YoAPe8

4th Flight:
http://youtu.be/24Sks-a_vcs
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Great pics and vids ! I'd give my eye teeth to have a nice paved runway like yours.
My 182 looks more like a bush version with the big 2.5" Dubros.

Just upgraded the PZ T-28 with a 2820/07 and 50 amp esc. Testing this weekend. Should be a screamer.

It's fun to go back and pull these birds out of retirement. Now I'm inspired to give the C-182 another go.

Nicely done !

Hawk

Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

This Cessna 182 Model is just fantastic!

I never leave her home!!!

Never thought that I would enjoy a scale General Aviation RC Model this much!

Carlos
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Cessna 182 @ EDWARDS again! 11-25-2012

Hi guys!

I enjoyed my visit at EDWARDS (High School Band Practice Surface) with my Cessna 182 again and it was nothing but spectacular!

This time our good friend David Hart who is a professional photographer for a few RC Hobby magazines came over and took some pictures of the action that morning!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Very good looking model! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #15
Tracon

Friends: (0)

Hi Carlos,

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share a few pictures of my FMS Cessna 182 in my new painted livery.

I made a few mods, I switched out the stock 30A ESC for a 45A as advised in the sky trainer forum.

I also replaced the wing struts with teardrop shaped aluminium after cracking the wing strut anchors, both in the wings and the fuse.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the plane on 3s 2200's and she doesn't have any scary tendencies in the air or in ground handling.

You can see more pictures in my aircraft gallery here:

http://teamtracon.com/aircraftgaller...s.php?album=26

Speed is Life, Altitude is Insurance...
Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

My mate Uldis flies the FMS Cessna .... and he spot lands that baby at his feet. BUT he ditched the front wheel assembly and fitted his own.

He also swapped to a two blade prop to save keep buying new 3 bladers !.

His standard LiPo in it is an 1800 3S and just keeps on flying, landing, flying, landing and flying etc... I have to keep asking him what pack he has in it !!

My only comment is when I put my Skyartec alongside the FMS .. the foam of the FMS is not so good looking .... but the FMS model is bigger.

He had to replace the ESC some time ago - when the stock one caught fire .. luckily he managed to rip it and the LiPo out before the model suffered.

One mod he made after he lost the battery hatch ... and I got fed up seeing his roll of tape to hold the battery in !! I gave him a Skyartec battery box .. it's a full 2200 3S capable plastic box with hinged lid. That is now set into the FMS fuselage and he's back to a proper battery hatch. I have a few of these as they make great additions to other models to sort out battery location.

At our Fly-In a couple years ago ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft