Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422
Friends: (0)
Default Stevens AeroModel G400x Stella

I thought I'd post some build photos and progress on my current project, the Stevens AeroModel G400x Stella. Back in March Stevephoon started posting his build of an SA G-480 Groove. Along the way he passed along the info that Stevens AeroModel was having a 15% off sale. Since I'd been hankering to build one of their 300, 400, or 480 series kits for some time, and since I happen to have a young granddaughter named Stella, it seemed the perfect time to grab one!

I've been busy with a few repair projects and various other things, so I'm only now getting a real start on the Stella. As others have described before, the SA kits are first rate, with excellent laser cutting and extremely well thought out part design. They use keyed joints that fit together perfectly, and allow assemblies to be dry fitted first, then you go back over the joints with thin CA. The system works so well that building over the plans is often pretty much optional.

Here is a pic of the "Box Art" and few illustrating the laser cutting and keying of the joints.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stevens AeroModel G400x Stella_small.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	169057 Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser Cutting Detail_small.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	169058 Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyed joints_small.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	169059 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry fit then thin CA_small.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	169060

As you can tell, I've started with the tail feathers. A few more details on these parts in the next post.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
rreid7

Framing up the tail feathers of this SA Stella goes really quickly. Hats off to Mr. Stevens for doing his design work so well with the keyed and precisely fitting joints. So far it almost doesn't feel like building, i.e., "When do I get to start scratching my head?". Seriously though, this kit is a pleasure to build, and could be a perfect, non-intimidating kit for a first time builder. I believe all of SA's kits are similar in this regard.

A nice element is the design of the elevator joiner. Small aluminum tube bushings are provided that are captured within cut-outs in each elevator half then covered over on both sides with pieces of lite-ply. These bushings then receive a U-shaped elevator joiner wire in the usual way, but are much stronger, more durable, and more precise than the common "drill and glue" approach. The photos below illustrate this better than my words.

At this point I just need to sand the leading edges to shape and cut the hinge slots. I don't remember off-hand if SA provided any hinge material, if not I'll probably cut some from old floppy disc material. Then it's on to the fuselage!

Name:	ElevJoiner_1_small.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	169082 Click image for larger version

Name:	ElevJoiner_2_small.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	169083 Click image for larger version

Name:	Elev+Stab_small.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	169084

Quick little tip: Using CA, assemblies sometimes stick to the wax paper a little. Rather than lifting and risking breaking the part, I slide a thin steel rule under to break any stray bonds.

Name:	Breaking loose from board_small.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	169085

Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
BigO

Looks like a fun build What are you going to power it with ?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
rreid7

Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Looks like a fun build What are you going to power it with ?
I've got this Emax BL 2215/20 from HeadsUp RC. It is quite similar in spec to the Hacker A20-20L Stevens recommends for this model.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

Ron,

The tail construction looks the same as the G480 Groove. I finally got a couple of real flights in on the Groove last week. It's a great flying plane, even when there is still some wind. That part surprised me, because it's such a light weight plane. 1st plane I've been able to get into a flat spin.

I bet the Stella will be a good flyer as well.

Also.... I have the other emax 2215/25 (950 kv) in my Stevephoon 3D bashed plane. It's been nearly indestructable.. Many mishaps and nose first landings, but never any issues with the motor. It must be 4 to 5 years old now as well. It's also slightly overpropped....

I really like my SA planes!

Good Luck!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
rreid7

Good info Steve, Thanks! It does look like a pretty nice motor.

My best aerobat to date has been the Formosa, and while standard spins and snaps are great it seems that no one is able to get one of those into a flat spin, and certainly not me! I'm hopeful the Stella will be able to do them, and based on your experience I'd be surprised if she can't.

Been a little busy this week but hope to get some more building done this weekend.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
rreid7

I made some decent headway on the fuselage this weekend. The wind was blowing like stink this morning, so if I couldn't fly I could at least build! There is not a lot to comment on as far as the build goes, as this kit continues to fall together exactly according to plan. The fuse isn't finished yet, but here is a sequence of photos showing the progress.

All the parts for one fuselage side laid out, and assembled.

Name:	Fuse Side_exploded_small.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	169174 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Side_assembled_small.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	169175

Starting to erect the fuselage.

Name:	Fuse-1_small.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	169176

Fuselage bottom.

Name:	Fuse-2_small.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	169177Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse-4_small.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	169178

Turtledeck formers and stringers in place.

Name:	Fuse-7_small.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	169179

Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

I really like the Stevens Aeromodel planes, I am building a Heath UMB-41 micro and the fuse went together like a 3D puzzle. Didn't use a building board or plans, just a flat desk. I will be looking for another SA model soon.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
rreid7

The last major step of building the fuselage is sheeting the upper portion forward of the cockpit, along with the separately framed battery hatch.

Here you can see the formers and keel pieces in place that support the 1/32 sheeting. The hatch frame is also sitting there.

Name:	Fwd Fuse Formers+Hatch Frame_small.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	169210

The sheeting is laser cut to size, and each piece is marked with an arrow to indicate orientation. Like everything else in this kit, they fit perfectly. The bottom edge is tacked in place, then the piece is wrapped to the former and the center keel. You can see how nice the fit is, leaving a little bit of gluing surface for the mating piece on the other side.

Name:	Sheeting_tack_small.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	169211 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheeting_wrap_small.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	169212Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheeting_fit detail_small.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	169213

Voila! One basic fuselage. All it needs at this point is final sanding, the addition of a small skeg that the tailwheel mounts to, and the motor mount.

Name:	Complete Fuselage_small.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	169214 This is one fast building kit, especially considering I'm not spending as much time building now as I might in the wintertime. Almost time to start on the wing.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
rreid7

Got a start on building Stella's wing over the weekend. The pictures here represent probably less than an hour of total work, but scattered over many short sessions - all those summertime distractions getting in the way!

No need to build over the plans to get this wing straight. The carefully designed keying of the parts and precise laser cutting take care of alignment. I admit it feels a little strange if you're used to traditional stick building, but the system works out very well. On the other hand, if the design and execution of the kit were sloppy it could be a nightmare, but that's not the case. And the plans are there to fall back on if needed.

Ribs lined up along the spar. Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs on Spar_small.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	169336
The aileron servos will go into these nice little pockets built into the wing. Click image for larger version

Name:	Aileron Servo Pocket_small.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	169337

The basic structure of the wing. At this point the only glue used was to join the individual sections of the spar, cap strips, and trailing edge.

Name:	Wing Structure-1_small.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	169338 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Structure-2_small.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	169339 Otherwise at this point everything is a friction fit, allowing all the parts to move and settle into alignment before final glueing.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)
Default Two thumbs up!

I'm really enjoying your build, Ron. Thanks for sharing with us.

At this rate you'll be ready for the maiden before the 4th of July!

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
rreid7

Thanks for the feedback, John. It really is a nice build that goes together quickly. If it were wintertime I'd probably already be flying it, but this time of year the time spent at the build table goes way down! By the 4th of July is possible, but I'll be away that week so I'd have to be flying before that!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Yakfishingfool

Friends: (1)

I'm amazed at the laser cut accuracy! I bet it is a dream to build! GOing to have to find a laser cut kit to build some day....hopefully a glider
Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
rreid7

SA does offer a powered glider kit. I don't have any experience with it but would presume it is of similar quality to the Stella:
http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...2-p-19699.html

Mountain Models also has very nicely done and complete laser cut kits, and have a few gliders in their line-up. I enjoyed building a Smoothie a couple of years ago:
http://www.mountainmodels.com/index....30eec30b49c951

Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
rreid7

Here are a few final shots of the wing bones before I move on.

At this point it is still mostly just friction fitted together. but I can pick it up and carry it around without anything coming apart.

Name:	Wing Overall_small.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	169360

A close up of the center-section. The landing gear will plug into that narrow, rectangular box forward of the spar.

Name:	CenterSection-1_small.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	169361

With the wing held flat on the table like this, I will next go over all the joints with thin CA to lock everything in place. Then the small stand-off tabs on the ribs can be cut off.

Name:	WingOverall-2_small.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	169362

After that the next step will be the small job of building the ailerons.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
rreid7

No build thread is complete without a few pics of the completed airframe prior to covering. So here we are, the current state of the Stella build. The wheels are from my GWS P-38, exactly the same style as the kit wheels but a little bigger, so better for the rough grass field I fly from.

Name:	Bones_1_small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	169547 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bones_2_small.jpg
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	169548 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bones_3_small.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	169549 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bones_4_small.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	169550

This continues to be a very pleasurable build. I'll be covering it with SolarFilm (AeroFilm), which will be my first time with that though I have used Solite. I expect I'll like the SolarFilm better. Then I'll really start looking forward to getting this bird in the air!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
rreid7

Well, I know this build's gone quiet over the last month, but I haven't fallen off the world! I had a week away after the last post, and have another starting tomorrow. Just before leaving for the first trip my flying buddy Chris, who mostly flies RC helis, corrupted me with a freebie Blade MSR micro heli. This led quickly to a new-in-box Thunder Tiger Mini Titan 450 with running gear, servos, gyro, and receiver scored off of E-bay. Building that and learning about heli set-up and flying has been a fun and interesting diversion for the past couple of weeks. It really is quite a change of pace from airplanes, and a steep learning curve. But it's flying well and I can now take-off, hover, and land fairly reliably. After I get back from this next trip I'll be looking forward to getting the Stella covered and rigged for flying. More in a week or two!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
rreid7

I have been making some progress on the Stella lately. The wing is basically finished, covered and with the ailerons hinged and servos installed. I just need to add the links out to the control horns. I'll also probably add some black stripes or something to the bottom for visual contrast. I also got the fin and rudder covered and hinged last night.

Name:	WingCover-1_small.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	170361 Click image for larger version

Name:	WingCover-2_small.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	170362 Click image for larger version

Name:	WingCover-3_small.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	170363 Click image for larger version

Name:	WingCover-4_small.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	170364

Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #19
Stevephoon

Looks Great! Glad you are still making progress.

What are you using for covering. I used the SoLite/AeroLite type coverings on my G-480, but I don't think there is an orange in that. Like you are thinking, I also need to add some black (or something) to the bottom of mine. The transparent red on the wings just doesn't cut it for orientation.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #20
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Excellent job on the covering, Ron. You are much better at it than I am!

She's coming along beautifully.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
rreid7

Steve - I used Solarfilm/Aerofilm sourced from SA. I'm finding it much nicer to work with than Solite/Aerolite, and not much heavier, certainly not enough to worry about on this size airplane. The backing is easier to get off, and it's not always trying to curl around and stick to itself! better selection of colors too. Like Solite though it shrinks up nicely (I use a heat gun after bonding the perimeter with the iron). Very forgiving of a few extra wrinkles, they'll shrink away without problem (within reason of course).

Thanks for the compliment John. Try some Solarfilm. It'll make you look good!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
rreid7

Continuing the summertime pattern of less than regular building sessions, but I got the tail feathers and fuselage covered over the weekend. Now it's just down to mounting the elevator halves, final assembly, and installing the radio and running gear stuff. Unfortunately the camera didn't render the fuselage color very faithfully, it's a much crisper green than it appears here.

The plans call for a pull-pull rudder. That will be a first for me, but I don't anticipate any particular difficulties with it.

Name:	Fuselage_covered-1_small.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	170606 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuselage_covered2_small.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	170607 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuselage_covered3_small.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	170608

Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
rreid7

I've got the Stella all finished up and ready to fly. If the weather holds as forecast I hope to get the maiden flown tomorrow morning. Here are a few final detail pics and some poor attempts at beauty shots.

The Stella uses a rear mounted external servo with a push-pull linkage on the elevator, while the rudder uses a pull-pull set-up with an internal servo mounted just forward of the cockpit. This photo shows the elevator linkage and one side of the rudder:

Name:	Elev&Rudder Linkage_small.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	170861

In this bottom view you can see the aileron control horns, the pull-pull cables exiting the bottom of the fuse, and just make out the elevator servo and horn. The pull-pull cables are ground wires from some shielded instrument cables I salvaged from work:

Name:	BottomView_small.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	170862

Here's a view showing the rudder servo and the receiver, looking into the the fuse through the wing saddle area. The cables aren't really as slack as it appears here:

Name:	RudderServo&Rcx_small.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	170863

And the beauty shots:

Name:	Outside-1_small.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	170864 Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside-2_small.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	170865 Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside-3_small.jpg
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	170866

Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #24
Stevephoon

Good luck on the maiden Ron!

Your plane looks good. I hope you like building yours as much as I did building my G-480!

I saw that on the SA Groove-480 (the one I built) you can mount the rudder servo in three different places. Internal (like yours), a little further back in the bottom of the fuselage upside down still using pull-pull cables, or in the rear of the plane using a pushrod (this is what I did.) I had read the the G-480 tends to come out nose heavy so I mounted the rudder servo in the tail... I came out only slightly tail heavy this way and by moving the battery forward some, it balances fine.

Good Luck, and let us know how the maiden goes!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #25
rreid7

As advertised, I maidened the Stella this morning, and it went great! This kit was so well thought out and executed by SA that I really didn't have the usual pre-maiden jitters. It would take real effort to build it crooked! It flew right out of my hand (grass is too thick for ROG) and instilled confidence from the get go.

Name:	Maiden Launch_small.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	170895

Only a couple of clicks of trim were needed to settle into a nice groove. During the first battery I was already trying loops and rolls. Although I'm not a 3D pilot, by the second battery I was flying knife edge, hovering briefly, and trying some tentative Harriers. That's how good this thing handles.

Name:	Maiden Flyby.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	170896 Click image for larger version

Name:	MaidenFlight-2_small.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	170897

The worst glitch of the whole thing was the first landing. As I said, the grass is really too thick for the wheels. Oops.

Name:	Maiden Landing_small.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	170898

No harm done. The only reason I'm using the landing gear at all is to avoid dragging the aileron servos through the grass. In subsequent landings I found I could slow it down to where it touched down with almost no forward speed at all.

I've been truly impressed by the quality of this kit, and thoroughly enjoyed the build. Based on first flying impressions I'm going to enjoy flying it even more, and am looking forward to letting it teach me about 3D aerobatics.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft