Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)
Default GP Piper Cherokee conversion

I'm in the process of converting a gas Great Planes Piper Cherokee to electric incorporating a set of all metal HK servoless retracts .This will make it a Piper Arrow.

I actually bought the plane used from a buddy and he had already added air retracts. What a project. All I need to do is switch them out. Sounds easier task than it is.

I'm removing the air retracts and the first thing I noticed on the HK steerable nose gear is that besides the normal arm that the servo pushrod/ clevise rides up and down on while the gear lowers and raises, there's a small compression spring attached with a screw to the base.

Where does the other end of the spring attach to ? What does it do? Is it a centering spring?

Thanks ,

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I'm in the process of converting a gas Great Planes Piper Cherokee to electric incorporating a set of all metal HK servoless retracts .This will make it a Piper Arrow.

I actually bought the plane used from a buddy and he had already added air retracts. What a project. All I need to do is switch them out. Sounds easier task than it is.

I'm removing the air retracts and the first thing I noticed on the HK steerable nose gear is that besides the normal arm that the servo pushrod/ clevise rides up and down on while the gear lowers and raises, there's a small compression spring attached with a screw to the base.

Where does the other end of the spring attach to ? What does it do? Is it a centering spring?

Thanks ,

Hawk
Interesting.

One of my club members flies those $$$$ wet turbine models. Up until this year, he used air retracts. After flying with electric retracts this year, he's indicated he will never use an air retract system again.

Don't know what brand his electric retracts were. But, knowing him, they were not cheap, especially when installed in a kerosene turbine model worth thousands of dollars.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 AM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Air retracts work fine but they are a PITA to maintain. Micro leaks are hard to troubleshoot. Tubing and valves all over the place. You need to pressurize an onboard canister, etc. Servoless types have come a long way in a very short time. All metal with metal trunnions and 5mm pins. Slip fit spring loaded oleo struts. Nice.

They now make them for planes weighing 30 pounds. I think the heaviest plane I have is about 7.5 lbs. You do get what you pay for IMO. The expensive Robarts are well? Robarts - LOL I'm good with the HK's for now. Should hold up for my lighter applications.

I don't want to end up paying more for the retracts than I did for the plane.

Adding Exceed 660kv motor ( a 46) and 85 amp esc. Will run 5S.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Air retracts work fine but they are a PITA to maintain. Micro leaks are hard to troubleshoot. Tubing and valves all over the place. You need to pressurize an onboard canister, etc. Servoless types have come a long way in a very short time. All metal with metal trunnions and 5mm pins. Slip fit spring loaded oleo struts. Nice.

They now make them for planes weighing 30 pounds. I think the heaviest plane I have is about 7.5 lbs. You do get what you pay for IMO. The expensive Robarts are well? Robarts - LOL I'm good with the HK's for now. Should hold up for my lighter applications.

I don't want to end up paying more for the retracts than I did for the plane.

Adding Exceed 660kv motor ( a 46) and 85 amp esc. Will run 5S.
Yeah
When you get to those $$$$$$ wet turbine models, or similar sized units, retract prices go through the roof. If you've seen a 40 pound wet turbine model land on a grass field, their is no such thing as a greaser landing!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCHVL
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...7-30cc-HANP47E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekbLseR16UY

DennyV
Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Here is the first test of the 120 size all metal HK retracts. Pretty sturdy. 5mm pin to oleo: http://youtu.be/NZfri_eOALA

Now these are $65.00 for the set. Another ~ $20 for the main 130mm long oleos and the offset 108mm long nose oleo strut. Yeah, not in the same league as the Robarts but I think they'll serve the purpose: Taxi to runway, take off roll, rotate, gear up , fly around, gear down, land.

If they hold up, I'll put a set in my EMB-312 Tucano and Deuces Wild.

I do admire those guys with the bottomless pit for a bank account who fly wet turbines. A blast to watch. I'll never get there. Still trying to master the 70mm foam versions. I could add up my entire squadron of 20 plus planes, sell them all and would still be a few thousand short. LOL

Have to travel Friday through next Thursday so I was hoping to get some of the conversion done before I left. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get the motor and esc installed .

Hopefully by the time I get back, the wind will have died down. Even slightly. Been atrocious for the last week.

-Hawk

Old 05-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Here is the first test of the 120 size all metal HK retracts. Pretty sturdy. 5mm pin to oleo: http://youtu.be/NZfri_eOALA

Now these are $65.00 for the set. Another ~ $20 for the main 130mm long oleos and the offset 108mm long nose oleo strut. Yeah, not in the same league as the Robarts but I think they'll serve the purpose: Taxi to runway, take off roll, rotate, gear up , fly around, gear down, land.

If they hold up, I'll put a set in my EMB-312 Tucano and Deuces Wild.

I do admire those guys with the bottomless pit for a bank account who fly wet turbines. A blast to watch. I'll never get there. Still trying to master the 70mm foam versions. I could add up my entire squadron of 20 plus planes, sell them all and would still be a few thousand short. LOL

Have to travel Friday through next Thursday so I was hoping to get some of the conversion done before I left. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get the motor and esc installed .

Hopefully by the time I get back, the wind will have died down. Even slightly. Been atrocious for the last week.

-Hawk
Yup
Your model doesn't land with 40 pound weight, and land at 50 MPH!

As for finances, that club member is retired, so, he's also got to watch the $$$$.

DennyV
Old 05-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Thanks ,

Hawk
Hi Hawk The spring looks like a retainer to hold the bottom piece of the landing gear to the shaft and retract Assy. Bottom of the Pic, Take Care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

The Piper Cherokee conversion is now complete and ready for maiden:

It's now a Piper Arrow with retracts. The biggest PITA was the retracts. The HK 120's simply failed. Truly a POS. Went to PW-RC and bought a replacement set. Phillip shipped from Hong Kong and they arrived registered mail in 1.5 weeks. Pretty good service I'd say. They're not all metal but have metal trunnions and a 5mm dia pin hole. Using the 130mm long HK oleo struts for the mains.

Will run on 5S with a 12x8 prop. Wish I had enough clearance for a 13 x6 but I don't.

Not crazy about the motor mount or the Exceed 660KV motor. It's a universal setup from GP. Had to add a locking collar to the shaft to get clearance for the cowl and spinner back plate. Holes didn't line up on the motor to mount interface exactly.

The only other thing I did was added a nylon wing nut for the canopy. Removes fairly quickly now.

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions