Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up Dynam SMART Trainer

Hello good people,

Please note that this is NOT a beginner RC Model even though it does have some qualities and characteristics of a Trainer but, it requires someone with intermediate -to- Advance RC Pilot skills. Why? Because this model will give you two Snap Rolls for FREE when you even don't expect it, depending on your control settings.

First, allow me to provide you with some fantastic pictures made possible by my good friend, Gerry Rivera (simano) and who also, provided the Video Capture of today's Maiden Flight.

Okay, a few pictures......

Oh, yes, it is the largest RC Foam Model that I have ever flown and the best flying one at that!!!!

In the first flight, I flew it like I stole it and was very comfortable in rolling it very close to the ground and almost stalled it with high Alpha flight and got very close to the bushes far end of the RC field. I saw the shadow of the model right on top of the bushes!!!!

My buddy Gerry told me NOT to push the envelope so, I took it easy

This thing flew slower than a Slow Stick!!!!

I used the Spektrum AR611e Park Flyer Receiver, my Spektrum DX7 (older model) and Turnigy 4-Cell, 3300mAH, 25C Lithium Polymers. I believe Dave (dbc) changed out the ESC to a 45-AMP Black Label no-name job and did excellent!:p:popcorn:

A few pictures!

VIDEO:
https://vimeo.com/74057546
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Very Nice Plane I bet after Flying it, that a 2x4 would not be able to Knock that Big Silly Grin Off your Face LOL Take care and have Fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Ha Ha Ha!!! Thanks CHELLIE

Don't forget to watch the Video!

https://vimeo.com/74057546
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Super Sunday Morning (09-15-2013)

Hi Guys!

Flew my SMART airplane by Dynam.

Today, I focused on flying a bunch of knife edge passes around the pattern!

Thanks to Gerry Rivera (simano) who is a great Photographer provided these High Resolution Pictures of some of the action today.

Effortless Sustained Inverted Passes all around the field

No Mixing, Expo just total Mechanical Setup!

No Expo, Mixing etc...... Just an Amazing RC Model

Kissing the Ground once again!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
squidger

Friends: (3)

Did you adjust the nosewheel steering. A friend wants me to maiden his at the club this saturday but at the moment the nosewheel steeing is 45 degrees each way coupled to the rudder. I,ve looked at the linkage and he can move the control in on the steering servo to reduce it but I'm going to unplug from the y lead and use aux 1 on the receiver then mix aux 1 to rudder so I can play with mix percentage and get the steering just right. 45 degrees steering on a tricycle undercarriage will turn far too quickly and probably cause a wingtip to contact the ground resulting in damage.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
squidger

Maidened it today in very little wind. Had 5 really good flights with it trying different batteries etc. Flies on both 3 and 4s batteries but not alot of power on 3s. Flew it for about 4 minutes on a 4000 4s battery doing 5 touch and goes and a fair bit of full throttle and the battery had 70% left in it. This thing does not draw a lot of current and flies like it's on rails. Practically lands itself too. My first attempt at a knifedge resulted in a near knifedge loop. You don't need much rudder at all which is surprising considering the small size of the rudder. That fuselage must create some lift at knifedge. As suspected the steering coupled to the rudder was too much and it kept tipping till the wingtip grounded so I used aux1 on the receiver and mixed the rudder to aux 1 at 70% and this improved the steering.Also this allows steering trim without affecting rudder trim using subtrim. This would make a good trainer at low throttle settings but beware it can all start happening quickly on higher throttle. All in all a succesful mission.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Did you adjust the nosewheel steering. A friend wants me to maiden his at the club this saturday but at the moment the nosewheel steeing is 45 degrees each way coupled to the rudder. I,ve looked at the linkage and he can move the control in on the steering servo to reduce it but I'm going to unplug from the y lead and use aux 1 on the receiver then mix aux 1 to rudder so I can play with mix percentage and get the steering just right. 45 degrees steering on a tricycle undercarriage will turn far too quickly and probably cause a wingtip to contact the ground resulting in damage.
Excuse me but, the Nose Wheel Steering is completely separate from the Rudder Assembly and thus it has nothing to do with the rudder servo. I am sure you have noticed that the Nose Wheel has its separate Servo.

When the model is powered OFF, it is normal (at least my model) to have the Nose Wheel cocked off from center. As soon as you connect the Battery to the ESC and Transmitter and Receiver does their magic, the Nose wheel should get back in line with the Rudder.

Perhaps, a re-visit of the setup is required?

I bought my model used and it was already done for me.....

Best of luck!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Maidened it today in very little wind. Had 5 really good flights with it trying different batteries etc. Flies on both 3 and 4s batteries but not alot of power on 3s. Flew it for about 4 minutes on a 4000 4s battery doing 5 touch and goes and a fair bit of full throttle and the battery had 70% left in it. This thing does not draw a lot of current and flies like it's on rails. Practically lands itself too. My first attempt at a knifedge resulted in a near knifedge loop. You don't need much rudder at all which is surprising considering the small size of the rudder. That fuselage must create some lift at knifedge. As suspected the steering coupled to the rudder was too much and it kept tipping till the wingtip grounded so I used aux1 on the receiver and mixed the rudder to aux 1 at 70% and this improved the steering.Also this allows steering trim without affecting rudder trim using subtrim. This would make a good trainer at low throttle settings but beware it can all start happening quickly on higher throttle. All in all a succesful mission.
Congrats!!!

Exactly what I have experienced with my model. Truly amazing model with a rather small Rudder surface and most especially my model performs the best continuous Knife Edge flight.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

gotta love trike gear.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
squidger

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Excuse me but, the Nose Wheel Steering is completely separate from the Rudder Assembly and thus it has nothing to do with the rudder servo. I am sure you have noticed that the Nose Wheel has its separate Servo.

When the model is powered OFF, it is normal (at least my model) to have the Nose Wheel cocked off from center. As soon as you connect the Battery to the ESC and Transmitter and Receiver does their magic, the Nose wheel should get back in line with the Rudder.

Perhaps, a re-visit of the setup is required?

I bought my model used and it was already done for me.....

Best of luck!

The nose wheel steering is completely separate from the rudder assembly as it has it's own servo, but if you plug the servo into a y lead with the rudder servo as dynam have done then you couple the nosewheel steering to the rudder operation. Therefore you cannot adjust the rudder trim without affecting the nosewheel steering trim and vice versa. Also you have to adjust the nosewheel steering throw mechanically because if you reduce it using your radio you also reduce rudder throw. Using aux1 allows you to make changes to the nosewheel steering trim and throws independent of rudder.This made it easy for me to reduce the steering throw to 70% of rudder movement using the radio tx without affecting rudder, and although rudder trim still affects both rudder and nosewheel because I have mixed the channels the nosewheel trims at 70% too and I can use sub trim on aux 1 channel to trim the nosewheel totally separately to the rudder.

Have had several more flights since the maiden and she flies superbly and is getting a lot of attention from other club members. I reckon in a few months there will be a fleet of these at our club.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Guys!

Flew my Dynam SMART Trainer for TWO (2) wonderful flights and like to report that this model is pretty exciting as it left me with two wedgies while performing some new moves! I am glad it was up 5.5 mistakes high!

Also, like to report that four RC Club members confessed to have ordered this model in the last 5 days and one of them, Rodney Iwan (he goes by Rodney here) will have his by this afternoon!

Soon, we will have at least 5 of these models at my RC Club!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
squidger

Think they're gonna be really popular
Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I'm pretty tempted by this plane.

I think I need some more symmetrical airfoil stick time before I get it though.

I have both a mini and ultra stick ready to go, but, I've been working on cleaning it the garage and the neighborhood clean up program just parked dumpsters on my street.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Furlough Flying Days!

Almost all of NASA's 18,000 employees, including most of Kennedy Space Centerís roughly 2,000 civil servants, face unpaid furloughs now that the Federal government shut down starting October 1st! I have no idea how long this will take for our Representatives in Congress or those in the Senate to come and discuss whatever has to happen in order for the Government re-started. On Monday, we had to Shut down many Computer Servers, Laboratory equipment and other equipment and safe all office equipment in case a Hurricane comes around during the Shut down. Unbelievable.....

So, taking it with stride and positive outlook, two of our Best Central Florida Photographers joined us to enjoy for some needed FUN FLY of sorts at our Moon Port Modelers RC Club (Central Florida) and just look at the Photos that David Hart and Gerry Rivera was able to capture!

Continuous Knife Edge Flight!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Gerry Rivera's Pictures!

Gerry,

Thanks for the rapid action Shots of my SMART!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

For those that appreciate and enjoy looking at the above pictures in a larger format...

Visit here!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-e...l#post11628985
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Looks like somebody else has also taken a liking to the Blade 350 Q as well....lol

AMA 928214
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #18
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Looks like somebody else has also taken a liking to the Blade 350 Q as well....lol
Huh? That Quad Copter is the PHONTOM
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #19
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Wednesday (2nd Day of Furlough) Morning Flying!

I have now been flying for 4 days in a row and planning to stay home Thursday to finish other projects but, had a blast flying this Gentle Giant, Dynam SMART Trainer.

As usual, some neat pictures from Gerry Rivera (simano) of my SMART in action this morning!

Old 10-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #20
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Some additional Pictures!

Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Huh? That Quad Copter is the PHONTOM

Oh, looks like DJI and E-flight have been talking to each other. Since they both speak Chinese that would make sense.......

AMA 928214
Old 10-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

Made the first flight on my Smart today. First on on 3 cells (still have not received the 4 cells which are on order) and it flew very well. I have one major complaint on the model though. It is very difficult to fit into any vehicle (even my Honda Odyssey) as it it to long to fit sideways and to much wing to fit sidways; need to cock it up with tail high and then the nose wheel assembly is in danger of being damaged. It flys so well though that the transportation problem is worth it. It would sure be nice if it were made to have an easily removable wing for transportation. One other tip, I use a #2 servo mounting screws with a socket head screw to mount the spinner cone, those Phillips head screws furnished are to hard to use in that application. Yes, I did have to put the nose gear servo on the aux channel and mix it to the rudder (about 50%) to tame down the movement to prevent over steering during taxi and takeoff.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #23
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up A little Maintenance

Hello guys!

Today, I flew my Dynam SMART for 5 Flights Total and with excellent results. After Lunch, I went back to fly the last reminding two (2) flights with same older 2200mAH cells (4-Cells).

Just a little Maintenance was needed on my Dynam SMART with the Wheels and Wheel covers etc.....

The Right Main Wheel nut and Cover was a little loose from landing in cross-wind yesterday and today.

Also, noticed the Nose Wheel was stiff and hard to turn so, I corrected that by slightly tugging the Plastic Cover apart and releasing the pressure. Must have been the smack down, NOSE WHEEL First Landing from yesterday!

Additionally, I was able to fly with some super light 4-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Lithium Polymers from my Starmax F-5E Swiss Tiger EDF Jet, I had two (2) of these batteries and the Dynam SMART flew perfect slightly tail heavy. Of course, since they looked a little puffy, I gave em away!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #24
Tarasdad

Club: Flying Swashbucklers
Friends: (0)

Hmm...I just might have to add one of these to my wish list.

Seems that Dynam has really upped their game with some of their recent releases. This one seems to be a home run from what I've been reading here and elsewhere.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #25
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Dynam SMART - TRANSPORT!

Guys!

It was funny this morning as another member came with his Brand New Dynam SMART. He came over and asked me....

"How in the Heck do you get that model in your 4-Door Sedan 1992 Toyota Camry?"

He continues......

"I have a HONDA Odyssey mini-Van and it is pretty difficult to get this model in without twisting it in an Angle!!"

Okay, so, I show him................

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying