Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Siberianhusky

Club: Human Race
Friends: (0)
Default Trainer using a 4s 5000mah pack?

Looking for ideas for another plane, I'd like to use some of the 4s 5000mah packs I have on hand for my electric boats.
Currently flying a HZ Cub, a 36" wing and a Blue baby.
I'd like to build another 3 channel high wing trainer.
Not looking for a RTF, looking for kit or preferably plans for a scratch build.
I have no idea how to go about choosing a plane around a battery!
Once I have an idea on plane size I'll be OK choosing the rest of the power system, that is the easy part!
Thanks for any help. Cheers
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Just about any .40 class glow trainer converted to E-power would do fine carrying the 4S 5000.

4S 3000 to 4000 mah would be recommended more often for this size model but the added battery weight won't be significant for an appx 54 to 60 inch span trainer.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

A couple of very easy to fly, low wing arfs might be the GP Escapade, GP Piper Cherokee or Phoenix EMB312 Tucano. I presume you mention high wing as being easier to fly. These arfs are less than $200 I fly 4S 4000mah in these .

I also fly a HK/VQ models Beaver (high wing) on 4 & 5S 4000mah lipos.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Siberianhusky

Sounds like something along the lines of the Sig Kadet Senior, or the Kadet LT-40 would be capable of flying with a 4s 5000mah pack.
I really like the 1/6 scale Cub, maybe after a bigger 3 channel trainer.
Trying to keep my selection to what I have access to somewhat locally, Can't afford to send a letter through Canada Post, don't want to think about what it would cost to ship a boxed kit of this size!
Did some math last night and I figure that the electric setup will weigh about the same as a .50ish 4 stroke with a half tank of fuel.
Is this thinking along the right track? Try to match the weight of the glow setup?
I figure the E setup will be lighter than the glow setup wet but heavier dry.
I do have some 4s 4000mah packs but they are always run as matched pairs in a 2p 8000mah setup in my 30" Whiplash sport hydroplane.
LOL 30" boat with a Castle 1515 1Y 2200kv motor, 42mm prop draws about 150 amps average and does close to 70mph! Race length is 6 laps on a 1/6 mile oval.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Sounds like something along the lines of the Sig Kadet Senior, or the Kadet LT-40 would be capable of flying with a 4s 5000mah pack.
I really like the 1/6 scale Cub, maybe after a bigger 3 channel trainer.
Trying to keep my selection to what I have access to somewhat locally, Can't afford to send a letter through Canada Post, don't want to think about what it would cost to ship a boxed kit of this size!
Did some math last night and I figure that the electric setup will weigh about the same as a .50ish 4 stroke with a half tank of fuel.
Is this thinking along the right track? Try to match the weight of the glow setup?
I figure the E setup will be lighter than the glow setup wet but heavier dry.
I do have some 4s 4000mah packs but they are always run as matched pairs in a 2p 8000mah setup in my 30" Whiplash sport hydroplane.
LOL 30" boat with a Castle 1515 1Y 2200kv motor, 42mm prop draws about 150 amps average and does close to 70mph! Race length is 6 laps on a 1/6 mile oval.
If you're worried about the shipping costs check out great hobbies. http://www.greathobbies.com
Based in Canada, ships from Ontario. Great selection and free shipping on orders over $100. I've ordered a number of kits and arfs from them and have never had a problem.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Siberianhusky

Great hobbies is where I'm currently looking, not too far from home so I'd probably drive there, plenty of other stuff to do in the Toronto area to make the trip worth it. Haven't been to the big stink since January.
I'm only about an hour from Toronto.
I've also shopped a bit at Hobbyhobby. http://hobbyhobby.com/store/
I can wrap this into a boat shopping trip as well! Full sized that is, looking at a 30' sailboat.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
squidger

Friends: (3)

Try a Dynam smart. maidened mine today with 4000 4s battery. Will take your battery too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STej...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Siberianhusky

Pretty cool plane and good video, now if it was available as a kit that would be perfect.
Too me half the fun is building, bought the rtf Cub so I could start out with a known entity, from now all everything will be from kit or plans.
Been a rc boat racer for longer than I want to admit, I have piles of spare stuff hanging around 90% of it can be used in planes, connectors, push rods, clevises etc.
Thanks for the reply though, the info about the plane goes into the file, will help me make a more informed decision when it comes to powering mine.
No such thing as too much knowledge.
Cheers

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions