Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default Piper 150 Tri-pacer is almost ready to fly

Hi Chellie and all,

As you know I have a hangar full of planes that are being converted to electric. All were stick built, either with plans, kit or designed. This Piper Tri-pacer is a 1984 Vintage, made for a gas .19 motor. A rather simple plane. It would be considered a trainer more than anything else.

What I have done to it so far:
1. Cut out and installed light, low profile Aileron Servos in the Styrofoam wing.
2. Installed a steerable ,heavy duty, nose wheel.
3. Installed a .40 Gas Conversion Electric motor (GI2820-04)w/ a 50 AMP ESC OPTO w/ a 9x4.5 MR Prop
4. I am using my heavy duty, older servos with an additional battery to help power them for elevator and rudder.
5. A full set of regulation safety lights, including landing lights - separate power and small servo switch, controlled by 'GEAR' toggle.
6. All up weight (by fish scale) 1.78 lbs.
7. Motor is rated to pull up to 5.5 lbs so no problem there - Shellie was correct about having more power than you need - gets you up and out of trouble.
8. Set the angle of attack at 3 degrees - on motor
9. Using a 3 section Lipo, 2200 mah, 11.1v - don't know how long it will last - but I do know that the ESC has a 'RADIATOR' on it to help it keep cool - so I added Air scoops that look original but move a lot of air through the plane.

I want to take some photos first ............. just incase it becomes a kit again.

I'll post them after maiden and the bugs are worked out.

Fair Winds and good flying,

--Len (AKA as Vintage Len)
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 18,732
View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (317)
Default

Originally Posted by Lenl1540 View Post
Hi Chellie and all,

As you know I have a hangar full of planes that are being converted to electric. All were stick built, either with plans, kit or designed. This Piper Tri-pacer is a 1984 Vintage, made for a gas .19 motor. A rather simple plane. It would be considered a trainer more than anything else.

What I have done to it so far:
1. Cut out and installed light, low profile Aileron Servos in the Styrofoam wing.
2. Installed a steerable ,heavy duty, nose wheel.
3. Installed a .40 Gas Conversion Electric motor (GI2820-04)w/ a 50 AMP ESC OPTO w/ a 9x4.5 MR Prop
4. I am using my heavy duty, older servos with an additional battery to help power them for elevator and rudder.
5. A full set of regulation safety lights, including landing lights - separate power and small servo switch, controlled by 'GEAR' toggle.
6. All up weight (by fish scale) 1.78 lbs.
7. Motor is rated to pull up to 5.5 lbs so no problem there - Shellie was correct about having more power than you need - gets you up and out of trouble.
8. Set the angle of attack at 3 degrees - on motor
9. Using a 3 section Lipo, 2200 mah, 11.1v - don't know how long it will last - but I do know that the ESC has a 'RADIATOR' on it to help it keep cool - so I added Air scoops that look original but move a lot of air through the plane.

I want to take some photos first ............. just incase it becomes a kit again.

I'll post them after maiden and the bugs are worked out.

Fair Winds and good flying,

--Len (AKA as Vintage Len)
Hi Len I belive you will have to isolate the seperate battery from the ESC BEC, or use a Diode on the battery to prevent a feedback, or disconnect the BEC feed from the ESC to the receiver, If you have not done so already, I think we may have talked about that already, Set the CG at 25% back from the front leading Edge on the main wing, thats a good safe place to start, and move it back untill you find a sweet spot, Good luck to you on the maiden flight Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
CHELLIE is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Chellie,
Did all that you suggested.......will keep you posted.............it's more of a challenge and more satisfying getting these "Vintage" Planes to fly again..........A accomplishment.

And thank you all again for all of your help,

--Len
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
riverrat
circa: 1946
 
riverrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Eulonia, Ga.
Posts: 486
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Club: NRA Life Member
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (28)
Default

Len?

Were you able to do a maiden?

Regards
Jimmy
riverrat is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Not yet................needed to find a field with a runway...............juts did............they want $65 to join --per yr...........still looking
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,318
Thanked 232 Times in 223 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

$65 is relatively low for club dues... Cost to mow the place with 40 members can eat up most of that.
fhhuber is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
road king 97
old hat
 
road king 97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: joliet il
Posts: 2,843
Thanked 219 Times in 215 Posts
Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (15)
Default

I belong to a club but i also use a school parking lot and a new subdivision streets that no home building is not going on now to fly off of. lol I have to look out for street lights and marking stakes but i can hit the street pretty well. lol joe
road king 97 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Thumbs up A few distractions

NO...............But I appreciate your input............this will be the maiden.......but the Cessna (I did say Piper - I was incorrect) was built in 1981, was fitted with a .19 gas engine and tanks but was never flown - read still brand new.

I now have fitted it with an electric engine made to pull 5.5 lbs. All up weight for the plane nor is 1.75lbs. I fitted it with a commercial lighting kit. Strobes, each wing, red green ea. wing, red tail strobe, belly strobes and I cut in and covered with clear plastic, full landing lights - both wings. The original kt was one of the first to come out with a Styrofoam wing, but running wires was still very touchy. It came with re-inforced (Cloth imbeded strips to reinforce the wing so i cound not cut across those). Commercial packing tape is the most tennacious and tough stuff I have ever come across so I applies a 1" strip ron one enfd of the leading edge to the other. If It hits anything, what ever it hits is going to break first. I Cut in the Ailerons and am sing the new FLAT Aileron servos. They look nice but I have some reservations. they are very close to the Ailerons and the Ailerons are only 7'' each so there should not be much drag on them. The Heavy duty, steerable nose gear helps tremendously with ground handling. I'm useung a 2200 Lipo with a 60 amp ESC that has it's own radiator to keep it cool - works great on the ground runs. Also using an 11x4 prop? The motor has no problems with it. the lights have their own 4.3v power supply that lasts forever.

When I find a nice, recently paved, relatively open stretch, I'll do the ground runs first, then off we go.

Hang in there...............I'll keep you all posted........

--Len
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
rcers
Community Moderator
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,241
View rcers's Gallery57
Thanked 507 Times in 497 Posts
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (9)
Default

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
$65 is relatively low for club dues... Cost to mow the place with 40 members can eat up most of that.
Yep cheap indeed. Ours is just shy of $100. For a grass strip.
rcers is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
road king 97
old hat
 
road king 97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: joliet il
Posts: 2,843
Thanked 219 Times in 215 Posts
Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (15)
Default

Originally Posted by Lenl1540 View Post
NO...............But I appreciate your input............this will be the maiden.......but the Cessna (I did say Piper - I was incorrect) was built in 1981, was fitted with a .19 gas engine and tanks but was never flown - read still brand new.

I now have fitted it with an electric engine made to pull 5.5 lbs. All up weight for the plane nor is 1.75lbs. I fitted it with a commercial lighting kit. Strobes, each wing, red green ea. wing, red tail strobe, belly strobes and I cut in and covered with clear plastic, full landing lights - both wings. The original kt was one of the first to come out with a Styrofoam wing, but running wires was still very touchy. It came with re-inforced (Cloth imbeded strips to reinforce the wing so i cound not cut across those). Commercial packing tape is the most tennacious and tough stuff I have ever come across so I applies a 1" strip ron one enfd of the leading edge to the other. If It hits anything, what ever it hits is going to break first. I Cut in the Ailerons and am sing the new FLAT Aileron servos. They look nice but I have some reservations. they are very close to the Ailerons and the Ailerons are only 7'' each so there should not be much drag on them. The Heavy duty, steerable nose gear helps tremendously with ground handling. I'm useung a 2200 Lipo with a 60 amp ESC that has it's own radiator to keep it cool - works great on the ground runs. Also using an 11x4 prop? The motor has no problems with it. the lights have their own 4.3v power supply that lasts forever.

When I find a nice, recently paved, relatively open stretch, I'll do the ground runs first, then off we go.

Hang in there...............I'll keep you all posted........

--Len
Pat trittle makes a nice short kit for a tri pacer and its on my X-mass list for a long time .lol I get coal most every year from being bad. lmao joe http://patscustom-models.com/shortkit1.html
road king 97 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
riverrat
circa: 1946
 
riverrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Eulonia, Ga.
Posts: 486
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Club: NRA Life Member
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (28)
Default

Len

Any update you would like to share?

Regards
Jimmy
riverrat is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default No Updates yet

It's been very cold and windy here and I do not want to total it on the first flight. So i'll be patient. I'm working on my helicopters, inside the shop for now. I can fly the small one in the shop for a short hop and to keep my edge with the sticks.

Happy Holidays to all,

--Len
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
RV Winkle
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bowling Green KY USA
Posts: 91
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Club: Skymac
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Any photos available?
RV Winkle is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default There is a video

I am trying to up load it but no success yet...............I'll keep trying.......

--Len
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

While continuing to try to attach a pix of the Cesna 150................................I need to know if anyone has any suggestions on what size out runner and battery and ESC to use to convert a former COX gas .10 engine to electric.
I'm converting a plane that has a special pace in my heart. A Sig, Super Sinbad Glider, which I flew with a Cox .10. Very old but a great smooth, calm, flyer especially for grass fields.

Thanks, Len
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
riverrat
circa: 1946
 
riverrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Eulonia, Ga.
Posts: 486
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Club: NRA Life Member
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (28)
Default

Len

Super Sinbad, WoW, Now that brings back old memories!
Back in the day, I think I built one of the Sinbads that had
a tail boom? But the old noggin is getting iffy? Had a lot fun with
the Thermics back then. The best flyer for me was the TLG
Cosmos, and I have a scratch build one on the board now expanded
to 64.in W.S. And R.E.T.

Around 1949 I built the Cleveland Senior Albatross, and the maiden was
a flyaway. I have a set of plans in hand for one. Cleveland Models
has a sale on now, and thinking about another set for templates?
BUT! the thought of cutting all the components by hand gives me
pause. It sure would take me a long time with all those ply. fuse formers
with copious notches for stringers!!! The ribs should go easier & faster?
If I can get the courage, it will be R.E.T.S.

Regards
Jimmy
riverrat is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

I'll send pix of both once I get this thing running...

--Len
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #18
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default 2 nd try at Cesna 150 Pix

OK folks. This plane was constructed in '82 (If I remember correctly). Was originally flown on a .19 gas with just elevator, rudder and throttle.

Is now Electric with full FAA lighting, Ailerons, throttle, elevator and rudder. - Has not had maiden flight on electrics yet.

Hope this works ----------


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0868.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	178516   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0867.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	178520   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0877.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	178521  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0865.jpg (330.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0863.jpg (340.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0864.jpg (408.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0866.jpg (317.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0869.jpg (305.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0872.jpg (313.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0873.jpg (387.5 KB, 54 views)
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default Now for the Sinbad

1977 build of this model - it's been flown and when the conversion is complete I will post pix.

Naked Sinbad


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super sinbad 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	178522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Sinbad 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	178523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super sinbad 3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	178524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersinbad 4.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	178525  
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
RV Winkle
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bowling Green KY USA
Posts: 91
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Club: Skymac
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Nice looking
RV Winkle is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #21
Lenl1540
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 34
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Super Sinbad-

I was wrong, once again, on the Sinbad's former propulsion. I was not a .10 Cox. I just got it down an cleaned it off. She will need some small repairs due to "Storage Rash" but is definitely still very flyable and she still has the old motor attached. It is a .049 Cox with a 3 x 6 prop that I used to get her up into the clouds.

Now, I do need some suggestions on what would be a good motor, ESC and battery for her conversion. Where is my good friend Chellie who always seems to spot on with these things?

--Len
Lenl1540 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My PIPER doesn't fly ...why? 747 General Electric Discussions 44 10-04-2013 09:42 AM
For Sale Skyjib v1 - AV200 - Used - Ready to Fly dfxxx Helicopters- Electric For Sale & WTB 1 01-01-2013 01:58 AM
Fly Zone Sensei Rx-R guapoman2000 Foamies 8 11-27-2011 10:06 PM
TOO WINDY TO FLY YOUR FOAMY? - Try Slope Soaring AEAJR Foamies 6 11-13-2011 06:21 AM
I can Fly! Really Fly! prof_fate Beginners 24 10-14-2011 04:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.34367 seconds with 77 queries