Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
eagle33

Club: Dallas Electric Aircraft Flyers (DEAF)
Friends: (1)
Default High Shrink Covering?

Can anyone recommend a good high-shrink covering material? I have a neat staggerwing beech I have finished and need to cover. It has a wingspan of 18 inches and will be an indoor flyer. I have tried both coverite and ultracote and I can't seem to get the wrinkles out after tacking around the edges. I'm now thinking about trying some light weight iron-on tissue using balsaloc. I'm sure open to any and all suggestions and/or recommendations.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

What are you using to shrink. If a heat gun the air seems to push the covering so it doesn't shrink, but stretches and you end up with remaining wrinkles. You have to hit it at an angle. Ultracote parklite works fine for me.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

You can try solar film, which is not solite, but a bit thicker.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

On that small a model try the old "silkspan" and nitrate dope. Put the silkspan on wet (just damp, not wringing wet) and gently pull out any folds or wrinkles, let dry and then dope with thinned dope. You will wind up with a very taunt covering.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

I've had good luck with the ultra light iron on coverings. SoLite, and/or Coverite Microlite.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../covq0240.html

Even the "Opaques" are still a little transparent, but it shrinks well for me. It shrinks at a lower temp than the heaver coverings.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I will never ever use Solite again. To hard to take the backing off, it doesn't adhere around edges well and like to creep. Never tried the Coverite stuff. Ultracote Parklite works well for me, but does show seams a bit.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Dare I say ... for an indoor model ... old fashioned Tissue and Dope ?

I certainly wouldn't use Solarfiilm or any other standard weight film. Solarfilm is one of the best films - but too heavy for indoor.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
eagle33

The tissue/silkspan and dope is looking better and better.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
eagle33

If I use silkspan and dope, can I then paint it? If so, what paint would be recommended? Acrylic or something else? I want to end up with a yellow staggerwing. I plan to use an airbrush.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Abuelo

Originally Posted by eagle33 View Post
If I use silkspan and dope, can I then paint it? If so, what paint would be recommended? Acrylic or something else? I want to end up with a yellow staggerwing. I plan to use an airbrush.
Dope is a lacquer made up from nitrocellulose dissolved in a solvent, usually MEK or acetone. Any paint that will go over lacquer will work.

Aircraft spruce is a good mail order source and Randolph a good brand.

There are two types available and either will work for your application. Nitrate was the old free-flight favorite as it would shrink the covering slightly as it cured, then stop. It fell out of favor for a lot of reasons, not being hot fuel proof being one and being highly flammable is another. Butrate dope is fuel proof and shrinks, but it never stop shrinking and would eventually warp lightweight structures. We got around this by adding a few drops of glycerin to the container.

Clear dope and yellow tissue would look great on your staggering. I'd recommend a tautening nitrate but that is just personal preference.

Photos please when complete.

Behind every successful man is a woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
whitecrest

Consider using Doculam for your project. It is a laminating film that works well as an iron-on covering. I find that it shrinks very well and does not loosen over time. It will add considerable strength to a structure. Because it is crystal-clear after application, it needs to be painted. It takes most acrylic, water-based paints very well, so you can avoid the fumes and need for a well ventilated work area. It is available online from many sources and can sometimes be found in office supply stores.

~Tim
Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
carpetbagger

Japanese tissue. Comes in white, black, and many basic colors. You can put it on wet but dry is easier and it shrinks real well. So well on a lightweight frame it is advised to pre-shrink the Japanese tissue = brand name Esaki.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers

Whether you use silkspan or tissue, use Nitrate (not Butyrate) dope. You can not put any kind of paint over Butyrate other than more Butyrate. You can get both Nitrate or Butyrate in colors as well as clear. It is best to use clear to attach whichever of the coverings you choose. Either one (silkspan or tissue) requires that you coat them with dope after applying else they will soon tear or show wear at the slightest provocation. The lightest way is to use colored Japanese tissue attached and sealed with clear nitrate dope. Only use Butyrate as an over coat if you are using a glow or gasoline engine as nitrate is not fuel proof. The silkspan is slightly stronger than Japanese tissue if that needs to be a consideration and is slightly heavier but not usually enough to be of consideration.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
carpetbagger

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
Whether you use silkspan or tissue, use Nitrate (not Butyrate) dope. You can not put any kind of paint over Butyrate other than more Butyrate. You can get both Nitrate or Butyrate in colors as well as clear. It is best to use clear to attach whichever of the coverings you choose. Either one (silkspan or tissue) requires that you coat them with dope after applying else they will soon tear or show wear at the slightest provocation. The lightest way is to use colored Japanese tissue attached and sealed with clear nitrate dope. Only use Butyrate as an over coat if you are using a glow or gasoline engine as nitrate is not fuel proof. The silkspan is slightly stronger than Japanese tissue if that needs to be a consideration and is slightly heavier but not usually enough to be of consideration.
Good summation, Rodneh. I've used Easki and silkspan, prefer Esaki, but my new fav covering is silk. At least for park flying size models. I have dyed silk with Rit to get colors, and also used Design Master floral paint which is a lacquer and goes over nitrate dope just dandy.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft