Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #1
Dano59

Friends: (0)
Default Help changing from stock tx/rx to dx8/rx

I have a Sensei trainer that I am wanting to use my dx8 tx and 6ch sport rx I got from Value Hobby. The generic rx does not have channel #s listed so I hooked up everything in the samecconfiguration as on the stock rx. Used the bind plug and once everything synced up I had full throddle which thanks to my quick reflexes didn't take out my wife.
The plug ends will go on the rx in either direction so I turned them around with no responce.
I put the old tx and rx back in and she works fine?
Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Servo reverse function... in the computer menus on the TX.

Read the manual.

REMOVE THE PROP WHILE GETTING IT SET UP.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Dano, that's strange for an esc to start up a motor at full throttle without going through the arming sequence first, but as fhhuber correctly points out, always remove the prop when fiddling with radio settings and stuff like what you're doing.

As far as the rest of the servo connections, it's common for each manufacturer to identify the rx plugs differently. There is no set standard. You have to see which servo wire comes from which servo and plug it into the right port. Also, turning the plugs around is a bad thing. The 3 wires in the servo lead are +, -, and signal, so you reversed polarity when you reversed them. I've heard stories of frying rx's that way.

While the hobby is a lot easier than it used to be, it still takes some effort and learning. Is not just all match the numbers and it works. You'll probably have to reverse a channel or 2 in the tx still, set control throws, all that fun stuff. But it'll be worth it to step up from a rtf tx. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

The throttle on spectrum RX's is the first connection after bind plug but the tactic 6 ch receiver has the throttle as connection number 3 (Ch 3). You armed the motor by moving the elevator stick and it ran.

Move the connection from channel 3 on the tactic to the throttle on the spectrum then aileron is from channel one and elevator is channel two and rudder is channel 4.

This is from page eight in the manual for the tactic radio. Don't ask me how I found this out.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 07-26-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
Dano59

Thanks guys.
I removed the prop right after that happen.....realized that would be a good idea.

the servo lines are all marked but the new rx is not labeled at all. I have the channel numbers figured out but which way the pugs go on.

I am going home in a bit and going to work on it. I guess I will start by reversing the throttle control and see what happens.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Dano59 View Post
I have a Sensei trainer that I am wanting to use my dx8 tx and 6ch sport rx I got from Value Hobby. The generic rx does not have channel #s listed so I hooked up everything in the samecconfiguration as on the stock rx. Used the bind plug and once everything synced up I had full throddle which thanks to my quick reflexes didn't take out my wife.
The plug ends will go on the rx in either direction so I turned them around with no responce.
I put the old tx and rx back in and she works fine?
Any ideas?
For the other wattflyer readers out there, some of those receivers are not well marked as to which side is up on their servo connectors.

Take a run to your local Harbor Freight store, and pick up one of those $4.00 Multimeters. (Or go to Wallyworld, or any number of hardware stores or lumber stores.) Set it to read 200 Ohms. That's where the meter dial is straight up and down with the dial pointing down, directly at the on-off switch.

Touch the two probes together, and the meter reading should change from "1" (overrange) to 1.0 or something similar.

Now, touch those probes to your receivers servo connectors. The common connection (black on all servo connectors) will read again short circuit, or 1.0 or similar. The center terminal will also read short circuit. The signal lead will measure a high resistance, depending on which type receiver you have. If you have a more expensive quality digital meter, it will read zero ohms when the probes are touched together, or when checking all the common connections on the receiver servo battery negative (black wire) connection.

Ref:
Digital Multimeters
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52821

Hope that helps!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Playing with a multimeter and the RX... its EASY to short the wrong pins together and destroy the RX.

Don't do it.

You should never be playing with a multimeter and your RX.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 AM   #8
Dano59

Got everything straightened out. Had to get the servos hooked up with the correct channels on rx.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

For plug orientation... If you plug it in and it doesnt work turn it around. Plugging in backwards does no harm so trial and error is acceptable.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions