Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
RickSt

Friends: (0)
Default Apprentice Vertical Stab

I've noticed the vertical stabilizer on my Apprentice has a bend to the right . The plane still flys and handles great but does anyone have any idea how to straighten it or should I replace it ? I know it wasn't caused by the slight crash my instructor had with it a couple weeks ago .

Rick
Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I'm not sure exactly what you bend looks like. If it's bent vertically to the left or right, I'd tend to put a short piece of carbon fibre (or stripped down bamboo skewer) down the leading edge to hold it straight.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

You can straighten bent and crushed foam very easily by pouring hot water over it or applying a towel soaked in hot water. The water should be almost boiling.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
dereckbc

Friends: (3)

I have an Apprentice and have bent a few stabs along the way. First use boiling water to straighten it out. However this will not do much for the crease line and it it will still be weak.

What I do is use a wood round tooth pick. I stick it in at a right angle to the crease, then pull it out, apply a little drop of glue in the hole and on the toothpick, then reinsert the tooth pick. Cut flush with flush cuts and clean up any glue.

If the crease is too far from the edge to use a toot pick. Then use a tooth pick as a splint on one of both sides of the crease using glue to secure to the plane.

But the best way because th estabs or so inexpensive just replace it with a new one.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Many of my foam based models end up with bent fins !! It's the way of the world.

My cure is to take a thin bbq skewer and insert into top edge of fin and push it all the way down to the fuselage creating a hole .... then using toothpick feed epoxy into the hole ... smear the bbq skewer and then put it back in ...
Have 2 strips of tape ready ..... these are stuck to fin top and then pulled either side out to stabs to slightly pull the fin opposite bend to the original fault. Let it all set .. remove tape .. fin should go to vertical ok now.

The trick is that slight opposite bend and the epoxy with skewer setting up. You only need a very slight hardly noticed opposite bend.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners