Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
egrave1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Whitney, TX
Posts: 78
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Club: WAMAC
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default Expediential

What is the purpose of putting Expediential on your TX
egrave1 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 4,431
Thanked 490 Times in 456 Posts
Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Default

Do you mean exponential ?

If so it's generally used to make the control response 'softer' around the centre position so the plane doesn't feel so twitchy, yet still have full control throw available for when you want it.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
egrave1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Whitney, TX
Posts: 78
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Club: WAMAC
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Sorry about the missed spelled word But thanks for the info
egrave1 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,701
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 254 Times in 252 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Actually, that's a funny play on words. If one were to enter a negative number for exponential, then you could call it expedential, since output would be faster at stick center, so servo movement is sort of expedited. I like it!
xmech2k is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Rodneh
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 718
Thanked 69 Times in 68 Posts
Club: Moonport Modelers
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

And don't forget, whether or not you want negative or positive exponential depends on the brand of transmitter you are using. If Futaba or Tactic you want negative exponential, if Spectrum or JR you want positive to tame down throws at center stick.
Rodneh is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,762
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 112 Times in 109 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

"Exponential" or "expo" is a feature named after the "exponential function" in mathematics. Without going into too much detail, it's when a value starts by growing very slowly but then accelerates and spikes up quickly. This is what it looks like on a diagram:



Why is this important to RC modelers? Well, if you look at the curve above and imagine you have stick movement on the X-axis (horizontal) and servo movement on the Y-axis (vertical). You'll see that for the first half of the stick travel, you only move the servo maybe 10%. However past the mid point, you'll move the remaining 90% very quickly.

This gives you almost automatic dual rates. For small stick movements, you have very low rates but you have very high rates towards the extremes of the stick travel. If you fly e.g. 3D or aerobatics, this is crucial, as you need precision in your harriering, hovering and straight lines, but extreme rates in spins and tumbles. It also helps to take the "twitchiness" out of models.

Most modern radios allow you to set the degree of expo you want, ranging from a straight (linear) curve to very a aggressive exponential curve.

I hope this helps!

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,178
Thanked 217 Times in 208 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

A negative exponent would be DIVIDING instead of multiplying. Thus it starts at a steep curve and then approaches a flat line. (which is why Futaba's notation is mathematically wrong)
fhhuber is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,701
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 254 Times in 252 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
"Exponential" or "expo" is a feature named after the "exponential function" in mathematics. Without going into too much detail, it's when a value starts by growing very slowly but then accelerates and spikes up quickly. This is what it looks like on a diagram:



Why is this important to RC modelers? Well, if you look at the curve above and imagine you have stick movement on the X-axis (horizontal) and servo movement on the Y-axis (vertical). You'll see that for the first half of the stick travel, you only move the servo maybe 10%. However past the mid point, you'll move the remaining 90% very quickly.

This gives you almost automatic dual rates. For small stick movements, you have very low rates but you have very high rates towards the extremes of the stick travel. If you fly e.g. 3D or aerobatics, this is crucial, as you need precision in your harriering, hovering and straight lines, but extreme rates in spins and tumbles. It also helps to take the "twitchiness" out of models.

Most modern radios allow you to set the degree of expo you want, ranging from a straight (linear) curve to very a aggressive exponential curve.

I hope this helps!
Uhhhh.....Thanks?



Lol! If anyone can come up with am easy way of describing expo, he/she deserves a prize!
xmech2k is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #9
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,762
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 112 Times in 109 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

Really? It made that little sense?

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,178
Thanked 217 Times in 208 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Possibly he hasn't had that math class yet...

The main point is it makes the controls respond progressively instead of linearly, generally set to make the center of stick movement less sensitive.
fhhuber is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:59 AM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,701
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 254 Times in 252 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Really? It made that little sense?
Lol! No, I know what expo is so I didn't make it past the first sentence when the graph was involved and looked technical. I just wanted to have fun with the eternal struggle of explaining expo to beginners. I hoped the last sentence clarified that without insulting anyone, which apparently some other people feel the need to do. (Not you NJ)
xmech2k is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,069
Thanked 698 Times in 680 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (20)
Default

Originally Posted by egrave1 View Post
What is the purpose of putting Expediential on your TX
Yup
Exponential is a little interesting to describe, perhaps the best way to learn how it works is to have a model set up with zero expo, fly it, then set it up with a reasonable amount of expo, and fly the same model again. The difference will be quickly apparent. On the other hand, some people like it, a few don't.

You will find it is much easier to do very small changes in rate of climb or dive, or do a little bit of "Wing Leveling" with expo set at perhaps 35% or so.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.20422 seconds with 42 queries