Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
BobMaine
BobMaine

Friends: (0)
Default What kind of scales do we like?

I'm thinking about buying some digital scales to weigh planes/parts with. Would like resolution to 0.1 gram but those scales (or balances) don't seem to go up beyond a Kg (couple of lbs.) Anyone have a scale they really like?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

View Sky Sharkster's Gallery11
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (20)
Default Weighing In?

Hello BobMaine, Welcome to Wattflyer!
The weight range and resolution of the scale depend on the type of flying and plane sizes you intend to have. For general "Park" flying, a resolution down to 1 gram works for me, I use the Sunbeam # SP5, it goes up to 5 lbs (2.2kg) in 1 gram increments. About $ 30.00 at Office Max or Office Depot, I forget which.
Now, if I start seriously flying indoor models, a 1/10th gram (increment) scale with a lower maximum capacity would be advisable, or going to 1/4 scale models would require a higher maximum capacity.
Here's another scale, 1 gram resolution, 6.6 lb maximum;
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/in...ROD&ProdID=118
For the "small to mid" size models, these should be fine.
On the "New Builders Links" (Scroll to "Tools") I have 3 links for online scales.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14117
Hope this helps!
Ron
Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 AM   #3
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

View Grasshopper's Gallery48
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (52)

Hi BobMaine and welcome,

I use a digital postal scale that I bought off ebay for about $17 delivered. Works great for the size planes I fly (around 20 to 40 ounces) and weighs up to 55 lbs. It's sensitive enough to weigh letters too.

Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/52-LB-POSTAGE-SC...QQcmdZViewItem

Tom
Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
mpotter187

View mpotter187's Gallery7

Originally Posted by BobMaine View Post
I'm thinking about buying some digital scales to weigh planes/parts with. Would like resolution to 0.1 gram but those scales (or balances) don't seem to go up beyond a Kg (couple of lbs.) Anyone have a scale they really like?
Welcome, also check your local stores, I found mine in the kitchen section of target on sale for 20.00. Fairly accurate too I use it to weigh stuff before I ship itand its usually pretty close to what the shippers calibrated scales say.

Why is it when I have a 12 of one prop I never break them, but when I only have one it breaks on the first flight.

Current planes GWS Tigermoth 400, Slow Stick Video Plane
Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

View jasmine2501's Gallery4
Send a message via Yahoo to jasmine2501
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (19)

You're not going to find one that has high precision and also high capacity. If you want tenth of a gram precision, I hate to say it... but go to a head shop and get one of those that people use to weigh drugs. You can spend anywhere from $2.50 for what I call a "scythe scale" or up to 50 bucks for a good digital one. They sell them cheap because they move a lot of them.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
MrBrook
Post lover

I mostly use a digital hanging scale as it is easy to weigh on it. Mostly used Rapala scales, show me the most accurate results. The most important about the scale is it is with a hook to hang on which make it easy to put weight on the scale.

Know it first, Learn it fast and do it well
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I have two flat kitchen scales ... up to 2KG and other up to 5KG ... both with 1gr steps ... These are used for parts and EDF / pusher thrust measurement.

I have hanging scale that weighs to 25KG and steps of 10gr ... used for full model weight / non EDF / non pusher thrust tests.

Each of these is basically no more than about $5 a piece.

People may not realise but accuracy and increments are not same ... you may have 1 gr increment - but accuracy is +/- 1gr - which actually is 2gr. Just thought I'd mention it ...

I'm not into indoor and very light stuff ... so above is fine for me ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Cheap cooking scale from Harbor Freight.... accurate enough for my needs. I wouldn't use it for weighing parts on an indoor FF rubber power duration model.

Unless you are getting into some serious contest building where weight limits matter... don't worry about it.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Cheap cooking scale from Harbor Freight.... accurate enough for my needs. I wouldn't use it for weighing parts on an indoor FF rubber power duration model.

Unless you are getting into some serious contest building where weight limits matter... don't worry about it.
Exactly ...

Friend of mine used to worry about weight on indoor stuff ... he used to 'float' tissue on water to apply to wings etc. .. no glue etc.

His indoor models were the duration rubber jobs where a big tissue paddle prop would turn so slow it was just unbelievable ...

Now with that sort of model - precision weighing is important .. but generally ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
carpetbagger

Walmart about $15 - not sure what the max is, probably 3kg or so, weighs to the gram. I find this fine for my work since I don't build heavy honkers. I also have a tine scale weighs to tenth of a gram that I use for small parts and for mixing epoxy glue. 1:1 mix is fairly easy to eyeball but WEST is 5:1.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Holy thread revival, Batman!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I'm not allowed to say anything about reviving old threads...
Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Isn't it obvious to anyone else, it's the new 'in' thing to do. Go around top random websites, sign up, div up the oldest thread you can find, and post there. Perhaps MrBrook can enlighten us if there are bonus points for people just falling into it. Come on. Just coming into an rc forum out of the blue and posting on a subject like this, twice, in long buried threads? I call:

Old 07-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #14
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Sometimes people do not realize that they are reading a very old post. It has happened to me.
Henry
Old 07-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #15
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Maybe. But sure seems to be going around, and not on just this site.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Whats the beef about it ?

The topic is current no matter how old ... new people into the hobby are interested in matters and may want to learn, ask, find out ... so a guy and as another says - we've all basically done it ... guy looks through a forum listing - sees a topic that interests him .. has relevance ... and posts.

Whether the info in the thread is old or new - so what ? Are you now going to tell me that Walmart, Harbour Freight, B&Q, Wickes or whoever have stopped selling cheap scales ?

Sorry - I don't get this anti bring old threads ... I understand if the thread is about a specific item that was ONLY relevant before and has lost significance now.

I have to say something ... the date stamp on a thread / post is oftem missed because it's small and doesn't stand out. Not much can be done about that - it will be part of the providers format.

Nigel

Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I kind of see what you're saying, Nigel. But seeing as the others who originally were interested in this thread haven't been here in years (I'm not going to bother looking them all up, just haven't even heard of some of them) then it seems someone jumps into a conversation that ended 7 years ago...

Whatever. I'll join the ranks of those not allowed to comment on it. Though I'll still ask my son what name has been given to this game.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I kind of see what you're saying, Nigel. But seeing as the others who originally were interested in this thread haven't been here in years (I'm not going to bother looking them all up, just haven't even heard of some of them) then it seems someone jumps into a conversation that ended 7 years ago...

Whatever. I'll join the ranks of those not allowed to comment on it. Though I'll still ask my son what name has been given to this game.
Aw c'mon ... don't be silly ... no-ones saying that ... I just and I think others may feel that it's a 'tea-cup' matter ... nothing to really moan about ...

Or if some prefer - maybe if someone thinks about posting on an old thread - they should create a new thread and act as though one's never been made before ?

I have threads on UK forums .. RCG ... Wattflyer for example - that I would LOVE people to drag up from years ago .. especially the ones where I'm trying to get hold of obsolete model plans ...

No need to moan - just let these threads go and ignore if it bothers you ...

I wasn't aware there was a statute of limitations !!

Nigel

Old 07-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
carpetbagger

Nigel is right - old threads are fair posting game. If not then a posted question should never be hit with the "do a search, stupid" comment because the question had been asked before and old threads exist.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners