Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Electronic Builders Workshop
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)
Default lost plane finder,very loud!!

hey all,here a little goodie i put together that is easy..works off the landing gear channel [or whatevers open]and can help you find a downed aircraft in the cornfeild ,wood,or for me the marshes around our club feild.

parts required are.....turnigy servo switch $6
y servo connector $6
a piazo siren from radioshack $5

the switch normaly requires splicing into the battery lead,but useing the y cable saves that problm and also lets you wrap the device into a neat package.

i used heat shrink tubeing to wrap it up and my main suggestion is to mount the rx batery,rx,and siren device so in the event of a horrific crash they stay together.

i'm posting pictures to show the assembly ,so if it needs more exsplaning ...just ask .

this siren is as loud as a home smoke detector and sounds off when the rx is powered without tx being on,and it remains quite in flight until the lg swith is turn on then your flyin buddies will all take notice...lol..

unit weighs 1.5oz and i use it in all my 40size planes andup..enjoy and may it help you find your lost birds with your ears when the eyes won't do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 030.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	119792   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 037.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	119793   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 043.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	119794   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 038.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	119795   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 032.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	119796  

Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 033.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	119797

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 041.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	119798

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 040.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	119799

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 042.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	119800i wanted to add that the twist connectors were only used to test the wireing,i soldered all connections for the finnished package.then heat shrink those areas.

more pictures,and the rx and batery arn't anything more than to test the sytem when i wired it up.this dosn't require seperate rx or power.

the siren operates with 4v up to 12v,so our rx battery pack plenty to make this unit scream. you could also wire in small buzzers but i like the startling look i get when i fip it on...lol...

when you splice in the siren use the black and red wires on the cutoff y cable leave the yellow[orange cable taped off.

the drawing shows how you wold normaly use this switch to get a common ground...but i'd never splice into my battery lines when this way is cleaner.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Modifier
"Bank and yank"

Club: LCRC, CVRC, AMA since "96".
Friends: (0)

Neat idea!

Will the siren sound off continuously with just rec power from the landing gear channel? (deleting the Turnigy switch, and just using the radio switch).

I guess I am stumped as to why to use a turnigy switch for the siren.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

not totaly sure of your question....but if you wire up directly to the rx,you will have a continual siren wether or not you want it.rx's seperate battery supply power to servos to hold them lock in center,so without the turnigy switch you can't control anything powering off the rx battery and the rx.all pins in the rx are receiving constant power including the 6th channel i use for the switch.what i like with this is if my motor bateries get unpluged in a crash my alarm will still work.you just have to be sure three things won't seperate the rx,rx battery,and the alarm.

the power required for the siren is 4v to 12v and with the turnigy switch in the off position your good.i only activate it as a goof flying.hopefully never to go find my plane.
we fly over marshgrass and deep woods so if a plane goes down you need a devise like mine or the loca8tor tracking system which cost $110come with 2 small tracking rxs and a hand held tx that beeps when pointed in the direction of the lost item[plane]
.some guys have gone down with that system and still not found their bird.

i lost my first kit built uproar over the trees and never found it after 4 days searching...bummmer

very serious though ,go up to a in home smoke detector and set it off....thats how loud the piazo siren is.
the turnigy switch would also be great for minnilight sets.

hope this helps...and dont fly with the alarm on all the time..not sure how fast your battery will hold up or your fellow pilots...lol.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 029.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	119805  
Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

What a great idea. Thanks.

Paul
Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
aramid

Friends: (2)

This is a really good idea. My local club field is in the middle of a farmer's property, and it switches between corn and beans every year. Beans are only about knee-high, so they don't usually cause too much trouble (the foot-high stubs of the past year's corn sure do a number on covering, though), but I've spent four or five hours walking through the corn looking for a plane before. This year the stuff was an easy ten feet high!

In a strange coincidence, I'm expecting a package with one of those Turnigy switches later today. I had planned on using it for night flying (no, there's no good reason for flying lights to be switched rather than constant, but it seemed cool). Maybe I'd be better off building one of these alarms.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Modifier
"Bank and yank"

Hmm, no topic reply notify, weerd!.

Thanks for the answer Stuart.

So long as that connection isin't broken in a crash, it's a golden ticket for the bigger models. You should be able to hear the piezo underwater (God forbid).

Need something like that for my lighterweight stuff.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

yeh ,i also have a small water hazzard to avoid,in the wetlands we fly over is a 75'wide stream and many a bird will go a floatin away...lol..we use a inflatable raft to cross it to seach endless 10'high marsh grass and woods.

if anyone does try this with other sound devises,please post it .

and of the 220 veiws on this thread i wish i'd posted it as "whats the best plane locator for downed rc aircraft."

i also use the gws "befound" beeping devise found at hobby city for $10,its much lighter and smaller for small planes....but not very loud.

check the radioshack drawers for elec supplies and there are buzzers also for $5. i'll test them but they weigh more than the siren.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733

Was looking for the switch & saw HobbyCity has a finder for $10 that plugs into the gear channel of the ar6100.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4282

Kevin
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

hi bear,thats the same device i just mentioned and installed it in this small 35"ws sig minisport i modified with ailerons.
drilled a small hole in the side of the fuse to expose the beeper part.may not be pretty but very needed if i ever hope to here it'

i would say its volume level is about or slightly louder that the musical tones my esc's give off....way better than nothing at all and very much worth the $10,if they are in stock ....grab a few,cause these items take months to restock...no joke!

still for larger more expensive plane i'd go with the loca8tor system,or a sure to hear finder.
heres the only plane that has the gws in it and i should really buy more,

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	minisport 151.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	120243  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
Modifier
"Bank and yank"

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Was looking for the switch & saw HobbyCity has a finder for $10 that plugs into the gear channel of the ar6100.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4282

Someone put up a review and posted that it will work with a Fut 7C channel 6/7, so that works for me.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733

Originally Posted by STUART View Post
hi bear,thats the same device i just mentioned and installed it in this small 35"ws sig minisport i modified with ailerons.
drilled a small hole in the side of the fuse to expose the beeper part.may not be pretty but very needed if i ever hope to here it'

i would say its volume level is about or slightly louder that the musical tones my esc's give off....way better than nothing at all and very much worth the $10,if they are in stock ....grab a few,cause these items take months to restock...no joke!

still for larger more expensive plane i'd go with the loca8tor system,or a sure to hear finder.
heres the only plane that has the gws in it and i should really buy more,

After I looked again I saw your comments in the review section. Will get a few to play with as weight fillers on my package. I have already spent a bit of time with the guys walking around the bean fields looking for some of my foamies.

Usually the guys flying are pretty good about spotting the general location of a downed plane so depending on how loud it is to me will decide if I should put it in my bigger planes.
All of the above being said its really a great idea to have something in the plane & I like your piazo speaker idea.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by STUART View Post
a piazo siren from radioshack $5

If you want a really LOUD siren, check out Radio Shacks 276-057 alarm. If you run this close to yourself, you need hearing protection! It puts out 108 Db
Old 02-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #14
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i just thought id add the spec of this small light weight siren,

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 029.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	120387   Click image for larger version

Name:	gprv-40 030.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	120388  
Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
obee

Thanks for sharing the plane finder plans. I think the high db of this system makes it superior to the commercially available noise makers. I just spent several hours searching for another club members plane in the woods here in western WA. with no findings. I won't let this happen to me and plan to build a number of the units. Thanks again
Obee
Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

obee,your very welcome. the original print and design came from the hobbyking forums......but its easyer to see the layout then to read electrical prints....lol....so far i haven't had to use the plane finder,and now i fly in a field thats huge. no more worrying about the marshes i used to fly over. i did crash an uproar on the edge of a field in plan view of everyone....but couldn't resist throwing the switch to say "i found it!" as i walked over and pick up the wreckage that was screaming with the siren on...lol

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #17
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Great idea!

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 08-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
HOODY

Club: our own.. Hoody and Spooners flying club :p

good idea!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

a good friend here at wattflyer recently lost his plane ,so i wanted to pull this finder device designed to use any buzzer or in my case a loud siren like the kind used in smoke detectors.

i no longer fly over marshland where such a device is a must,now i can find my wreckage easy...lol...at the new club field.

anyway,this is great for forest flyers/cornfields/marshes/slope soarers...ect...ect..

hope it helps find those beauties that got away. stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #20
c.sitas

Hey guys; I built one of these. Instead of tapping into the plane battery ,I used an add on 9 volt. A little heavier maybe ,but once the crash was over who knows what is left. This way the whole unit is a bout 2" square and loud as anything and self contained. Easily heard at 100yds. Thing is I can't say how long it will blatt before the battery dies. Once it is triggered by the old servo pad,it goes till it's dead.I figured under crash conditions I'm on the move so it would be easy to find the scene.Compared to some of the prices I've seen for commerical retriveal methods this is the deal.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I have some of the Lost Model beepers that connect between servo and Rx ... I don't like them !!

I tried them and once activated - you are supposed to be able to reset them by moving the surface .. well mine didn't ! So I'd power up ... 1 minute later BEEP BEEP BEEP ... and I couldn't stop it. Didn't matter whether I moved surface or not ... BEEP BEEP BEEP ...

Stu's switchable seems a much better idea !!

My way at present is to use the ESC arming beep. If I cannot find the model .. I switch of TX ... wait few sec's ... some of my ESC's then BEEP at about 5 sec intervals to indicate no signal ... for others I just then switch back on Tx and I hear the boot-up beeps ...

I know - not best way - but lets be honest - most times you can't find the model - she's crashed or had a bad arrival !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Just went back to HK after reading some of the 'old' stuff here ... and bought :

Hobby King Discovery Buzzer (EU warehouse) 3 US$3.06 IN STOCK Turnigy Be Found Lost Model Beeper (EU warehouse) 3 US$2.62 IN STOCK Signal loss Alarm & Lost Plane Finder (EU warehouse) 1 US$4.32 IN STOCK

With my points - came to $16.95 for

3 Hobby King Discovery Buzzers ... simple buzzer that plugs into spare Rx ch and activated by Tx switch ... ie put to Gear switch and BEEP BEEP !!

3 Turnigy Be-Found Lost Model alarms that sit between servo and Rx .. will try again with them .. I think failsafe interferes with them but lets see.

1 Signal loss and Lost Model alarm similar to Be-Found ... this is the one I used before and it worked ... would start at 1 minute whatever I was doing ... I will try again.

Anyway - that's 5 LMA's ...

I like the Discover Buzzer ... but trouble with that is the spare ch needed ... a lot of the models that I need this on are small and have 4 ch Rx's fitted with no spare ch. I might be able to mix in a Gear switch to ch 4 and then when I flick my 3 position switch on Tx .. I have gear switch start the buzzer.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Friends: (10)

Here is a good commercially available lost model alarm.

http://lostmodelalarm.com

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
c.sitas

My thing with the model finders is , not so much to get the plane, I want the crap inside,there is where the money is.My homemade one is loud and once it's tripped ,it goe on and on,until I find it ,or shut the switch off.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
Here is a good commercially available lost model alarm.

http://lostmodelalarm.com
But it's basically same as the HK ones in use .. ??

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Electronic Builders Workshop