Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
time bandit

Friends: (12)
Default DX6i or Tactic TTx650.........

I'm about to to buy one of these radios. I know Spektrum has been around for a good while and they have awesome customer service. The Tactic 650 seems to be a solid Tx for the price with what appears to be some extra functions that the DX6i doesn't have (except for model match on DX6i). Hobbico backs them up and has been in R/C for a long time as well. I can't decide which way to go. I've read reviews and spoken to owners of both radios. Just can't make up my mind?

What was I thinking?
Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

I love my dx6i & the times I've used cust. support on other stuff is great
Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by time bandit View Post
I'm about to to buy one of these radios. I know Spektrum has been around for a good while and they have awesome customer service. The Tactic 650 seems to be a solid Tx for the price with what appears to be some extra functions that the DX6i doesn't have (except for model match on DX6i). Hobbico backs them up and has been in R/C for a long time as well. I can't decide which way to go. I've read reviews and spoken to owners of both radios. Just can't make up my mind?
From various reports, seems that most name brand radios work OK. As you indicate, that Spektrum model match feature is important, if you've got a bunch of models. If your thing is going to very large fun flies, that Spektrum DSMX technology is as good as it gets for operation in heavily used 2.4 Ghz frequencies. That would be somewhere around one hundred 2.4 Ghz radios all turned on at the same time.

Also, check the prices of the receivers. The Spektrum brand receiver price starts off at $29.99, and the off label Spektrum compatible receivers are a fraction of that price.

As for who is buying what, perhaps this thread might be useful?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
time bandit

The Tactic 650 is appealing. I think the wireless trainer function is a good idea. Tower Hobby has it for $139 with a free receiver and free shipping at the moment. They use SLT (secure link technology) and their receivers aren't very expensive. My gut does tell me to go the Spektrum route. The new Dx6 is also out. It's got a lot of things I don't really think I would need though.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The Tactic 650 is appealing. I think the wireless trainer function is a good idea. Tower Hobby has it for $139 with a free receiver and free shipping at the moment. They use SLT (secure link technology) and their receivers aren't very expensive. My gut does tell me to go the Spektrum route. The new Dx6 is also out. It's got a lot of things I don't really think I would need though.
Well, you have to consider do you think you'll always stick with small models, or move up to bigger stuff? Or will you want extra do dad's? If you go with a basic plane with flaps and retracts, and then want differential ailerons through your tx, you've just exceeded a 6 channel radio.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 AM   #6
time bandit

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well, you have to consider do you think you'll always stick with small models, or move up to bigger stuff? Or will you want extra do dad's? If you go with a basic plane with flaps and retracts, and then want differential ailerons through your tx, you've just exceeded a 6 channel radio.
You can fly a larger plane with one of the six channel radios can't you? I don't think I will really need more channels than that, but you never know.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

You can fly a larger plane with one of the six channel radios can't you? I don't think I will really need more channels than that, but you never know.
The bottom line is buy the best transmitter you can afford.

DennyV
Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Of course, but it may increase the likelihood of needing more channels or even mixes than a less capable radio can do.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Of course, but it may increase the likelihood of needing more channels or even mixes than a less capable radio can do.
Yup
I've got a Giant Scale Big Stick model. It's equipped with dual aileron servos, dual flap servos, dual elevator servos, single rudder servo, and throttle.

And, with my Spektrum DX8 radio, each of them is on a separate channel. That makes tweaking neutral and travel adjustments a simple procedure.

DennyV
Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

DX6i - 10 model memory.
Tactic - 20 Model memory
You run out of them way quicker than you think.
Spectrum has a HUGE user base and LOTS of support.
Tactic, not so much. You are a bit more on your own though the user base seems to be growing it'll never catch up.

To a new guy they both seem to be way more TX than you'll ever need. In reality they are both 'basic' 6-ch TX suitable for stepping up to a fully functioning computer TX.

The [wireless trainer function] is a great idea but only work with Tactic TX. Check that out before you depend on it. You'll need a similar model for it to work. OTOH the [buddy box] systems pretty much all require TX of the same brand TX to be used. The cable is a nuisance but not a huge deal.

The DX6i is probably THE most popular TX out there. It's got some known flaws. The trim and roller buttons are fragile and likely will break with time and use. They are not hard to fix and there are better aftermarket parts available because this is such a common problem. The antenna hinge is fragile and breaks easily. Maybe the Tactic is too-I don't know.

You want to do 'bind and fly'? Go Spectrum. They have a lock on that market.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Neither - the DX6 (2014 version) is the one to get in that range. Voice, 250 model memory and gives you the chance to fly all the wonderful BNF stuff from Horizon.

Mike
Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

I have both, the 6I and the Tactic. IMHO, the Tactic is by far the best for the money. It is easier to program, a better display and does everything the 6I does. However, I'm reasonably sure that you will be happy with either of them as both are good systems.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
time bandit

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
I have both, the 6I and the Tactic. IMHO, the Tactic is by far the best for the money. It is easier to program, a better display and does everything the 6I does. However, I'm reasonably sure that you will be happy with either of them as both are good systems.
I'm really liking the Tactic as I read more reviews on it, as well as, feedback from owners like yourself. I have nothing against the Spektrum radio. I almost bought it a couple weeks ago but I couldn't make my mind up. I'm sure the DX6i would be an excellent choice.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
RV Winkle

Club: Skymac

Any idea what the other folks around you are using? I went with the tactic based upon recommendation of local hobby shop. They sell both. The selling feature for me was ease of programming. I was more accustomed to the old 72/27/53 radios which had no programming and was not interested in learning too much about programming. But that is just me. Both seem to work well and I have not heard too many issues about either one.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

If you have an RC community using the 'local standard' your buddies use can be helpful. If not, then most programming on most TX is pretty arcane when you start out. You have to learn a whole new language and bunch of concepts. You can do that as well (maybe better) on line and with youtube videos.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #16
time bandit

I pulled the trigger today and ordered the Tactic TTx650. Tower Hobbies offered it for $139 with a free TR625 dual antennae and free shipping. I got the thing for $129 bucks after a $10 off promo code. There is nothing wrong with the DX6i. I just kept finding myself going back to the Tactic.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #17
RV Winkle

Congrats
I think you will enjoy the tactic
Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
time bandit

Originally Posted by RV Winkle View Post
Congrats
I think you will enjoy the tactic
Are you using rechargeable batteries, and if so, how do you charge yours? I have a Thunder A6 battery charger I can use on the rechargeable batteries.

What was I thinking?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Are you using rechargeable batteries, and if so, how do you charge yours? I have a Thunder A6 battery charger I can use on the rechargeable batteries.
The best thing you can do is use 4 LSD (low self discharge) cells like the wonderful Sanyo Eneloops.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-3...=sanyo+eneloop
or
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Capaci...=sanyo+eneloop

Mike
Old 06-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
RV Winkle

sorry we are going low tech here. got the rechargeable batters at lhs but using the charger I had from Walmart. Seems to be ok and was recommendation at LHS.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers

I'll second the recommendation to use Eneloops. They work very well and are about as good as LiPo's for holding a charge yet very easy and safe to charge in place.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
I'll second the recommendation to use Eneloops. They work very well and are about as good as LiPo's for holding a charge yet very easy and safe to charge in place.
Another vote for the Eneloops. I've been using them in my camera for many years. Now added them to my Spectrum DX8.

As indicated, all the advantages of 2000 mah, long storage time ability, and, no balance issues, or risk of fire.

DennyV
Old 07-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #23
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Club: RCACF
Send a message via Yahoo to fdnyjery

Hey guys, got a question for you. I have a DX6I and when I punch in Model type it always comes up with Glider in the black box??? How do I get the glider out and the ACRO back in the type of plane I am trying to set up??? Granted I am not the brightest light in the box but I have read and reread the manual several times and cannot figure how to do it. Also I only have had the DX6I for a short while and still getting use to all the set ups, Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated Thanks a Bunch Jerry
aka FDNYJERY

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros