Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Support & Suggestions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)
Default Ancient threads

To prevent resurrecting ancient threads, there should be some way to set the system to lock any thread that has had no replies in some set amount of time... like 1 year or 2 years.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Why? Old information is still valid in everything except lipos's.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I see it from both sides.

The information in old threads is still sometimes valid and should be viewable. On the other hand you do see people replying to threads that have had no activity in years, which does seem a bit futile. Invariably the person needing the information is either long gone or got his answer years ago.

Possibly if long dead threads were viewable but locked for reply, which I think is what fhhuber was intending.

For instance: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58234
Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I see it from both sides.

The information in old threads is still sometimes valid and should be viewable. On the other hand you do see people replying to threads that have had no activity in years, which does seem a bit futile. Invariably the person needing the information is either long gone or got his answer years ago.

Possibly if long dead threads were viewable but locked for reply, which I think is what fhhuber was intending.

For instance: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58234

Exactly.

I didn't say delete the old thread... just some LONG TIME without reply and it should be locked.

4 yr old thread and suddenly someone wants to essentially repeat an answer already given.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
tr4252

Friends: (3)

Funny coincidence; I'm a moderator on another forum (TalkBlade), and a thread from about 5 or 6 years ago popped up recently because a new member had seen it and posted a reply.

I really got a kick out reading it; at least two of the responding members had since died, and the majority of the others were old timers who haven't been heard from in years. Nostalgia.

Tom
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I have joined Helifreak, as it is a little more in depth with helis, and it was suggested I join to get help entering the cp heli world. The forum lets you lock threads actually, I made one thread in the wrong area and locked it. I'm sure admins can lock any thread as well. It is possible.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

on another forum you will see a notice when you go to post that theres been no activity for some time. you can still post but at least your warned there may be 0 activity from original poster. what is good is when an old thread gets found and more discussion thats updated is added to it thus sharing more knowlege.....

the really funny posts from folks selling something and someone asks if it's still for sale in 2014...then a response from someone who see's the date of the op and points out the original sale was in 2005....

edit: one other thought......these are the stats of wattflyer today,pretty impresive when you think theres over 400 veiwing and almost a million posts.

Members: 49,755
Threads: 69,478
Total Online: 406

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

More then half will be google crawlers.

i don't see a point in locking old threads outside of the for sale information.

on one of my car forums i posted a thread from 2005 and ended up finishing it in 2011 and since get asked questions all the time about it on that thread.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
More then half will be google crawlers.

i don't see a point in locking old threads outside of the for sale information.

on one of my car forums i posted a thread from 2005 and ended up finishing it in 2011 and since get asked questions all the time about it on that thread.
I don't think anyone is suggesting locking old threads if they are still active. It's the ones that have been dead for years that I think might be better locked.

Another example of the confusion it causes to drag up those old long dead threads is here: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35430
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Turner
Super Contributor

I don't understand the drive to lock old threads. Though it does seem silly at times when someone tries to answer a several year old question occasionally they bring some new thinking to the subject that we can all learn from. As slow as this forum has gotten I would think any participation would be welcome. Does it hurt anything that an old thread comes up? Not that I can see.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Each to his own, these are just opinions, you dont have to agree. However i'd add that if a poster has some information to contribute they can join a active thread or create a thread of their own. What's the point in dredging up long dead threads when the subject invariably has been covered more recently?

Quality of posting is more important than quantity in my book. It adds nothing to the forum for someone to re-answer a four year old question that was already perfectly adequately answered four years ago, and many times in other threads since. In the case of the thread i linked in my last post someone dragged the thread up from the dead simply to make a 'hate post', which in any case was about a totally different product to the subject of the ancient thread he chose the drag up from oblivion. What value does that add to anything?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #12
Turner
Super Contributor

...In the case of the thread i linked in my last post someone dragged the thread up from the dead simply to make a 'hate post', which in any case was about a totally different product to the subject of the ancient thread he chose the drag up from oblivion. What value does that add to anything?
That is a legitimate gripe. I can see your side of it. If someone finds an old thread that provokes some new questions he can, of course, start a new thread. But from another angle, I seldom go reading old threads so when an old one is revived I often haven't seen it before and find interest in reading it. Lock it and it is as good as deleted from my point of view. Some of the old discussions seem a bit more welcoming too.

Another thing, I have started some threads and would not appreciate them being locked. On occasion someone will bring it back with some new questions and I rather enjoy continuing the discussion.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Another one: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...d=1#post951354

If not lock the threads then what about having a warning, as suggested previously, to at least tell people that they are replying to a long dead thread?
Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
Turner
Super Contributor

I seem to recall that this forum previously displayed such a warning if you tried to post on a thread that had seen no recent activity. I just dragged up another old one to check and I don't see that any more. Maybe that pops up when starting a new thread. Haven't done that in a while.

Honestly I don't see a problem myself. I remain opposed to locking threads except for those that are closed sometimes because they descend into incessant bickering about controversial topics.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #15
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

RCGroups has that warning. I don't think we've ever had it here.

And personally, I don't see why old threads need to be locked. And how would it be administered? Us Mods have enough to do without having to go looking for ancient threads to close.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
RCGroups has that warning. I don't think we've ever had it here.

And personally, I don't see why old threads need to be locked. And how would it be administered? Us Mods have enough to do without having to go looking for ancient threads to close.
Is it not possible for the software to add the warning to old and dormant threads (or even lock them) automatically? Obviously having to do it manually is a non-starter but I'd have expected the software to have something built in that could do it. For instance, I'm sure the Mods over on RC group don't go adding those warnings manually.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

In the classifieds? Id say sure. anywhere else? Why? I really don't see any point in it. why.start a new thread on the same subject or make it impossible to ask questions on an old one?

Personally i don't see any point in killing classified threads either. you can't make rules for every little thing and exclude the whole for the.benefit of the stupid. One of the first online purchases i made i was never sent and the seller strung me along.do.to.family issues and.being out of.state. welli tried to be a nice guy and.gave him every opportunity to make things right as long as the seller kept an open line of communication. after almost a year he just disappeared. i posted in the original thread which had been dead for more then a year and to my surprise, about 15 other people all had the same problems with the same seller.

rather then lock the thread or ban him, we actually got him tracked down through ebay using.half of our forum to get his attention. about 6 months later, i and i beleive everyone else had gotten all they were owed and.he is still around, 11 years later. I've actually sold parts to him and he earned his reputation back as a seller.

if we had locked or deleted the threads as many forums do, this likely never would have happened and there would be a lot less of a paper trail for everyone to go on.

iny opinion, if it ain't broke...

Old 06-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #18
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Is it not possible for the software to add the warning to old and dormant threads (or even lock them) automatically? Obviously having to do it manually is a non-starter but I'd have expected the software to have something built in that could do it. For instance, I'm sure the Mods over on RC group don't go adding those warnings manually.
RCG uses a different type of bulletin board program than WF. And us mods don't have edit abilities. We'd have to discuss it with the admins.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
fhhuber
Super Contributor

What gave me the idea was a forum for boats having an automated system that will lock any thread that hasn't had a reply in 6 months. Original poster or admin can re-open it, but not people just randomly trolling the archives.

(boat forum Q&A could easily apply for over 20 years)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
Turner
Super Contributor

Why do you guys want to lock threads. Don't read them if it doesn't interest you. You are not paying for the server space so why do you care. Please don't lock or delete old threads. It's a forum for cryin-out-loud.

fo·rum - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

If you lock threads you stop the exchange and no longer have a forum. I used to belong to Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders Forum. Well if you don't visit the site every few weeks they send you an email telling you that if you don't visit soon your membership will be cancelled. Well guess what, I'm not a member anymore. What a stupid policy. Please keep this forum open to free exchange and don't relegate old threads to the trash bin. Keep them open.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #21
Porcia83

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Why do you guys want to lock threads. Don't read them if it doesn't interest you. You are not paying for the server space so why do you care. Please don't lock or delete old threads. It's a forum for cryin-out-loud.

fo·rum - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

If you lock threads you stop the exchange and no longer have a forum. I used to belong to Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders Forum. Well if you don't visit the site every few weeks they send you an email telling you that if you don't visit soon your membership will be cancelled. Well guess what, I'm not a member anymore. What a stupid policy. Please keep this forum open to free exchange and don't relegate old threads to the trash bin. Keep them open.
+1. There's plenty of great info on many forums and many older threads, don't see the harm in keeping them open for discussion and/or questions.
Not sure what the meaning of "randomly trolling" was, but many times a simple google search will bring up a thread on something and it's an older one, but still able to be used/learned from. If the server space is free, why not?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Plenty of good data to search - but I agree that posting in very old threads isn't a great idea. Most agree.

It is called Necrobumping. Do a search.

My reasons are simple - there was a recent thread bump talking about a Spektrum DX6. When the thread was started that was the first 2.4GHz air system.

It got bumped.

Then discussion turned to man there is a bunch of wrong stuff here - the DX6 is new. Turns out folks didn't realize the earlier posts were SEVEN years old! So it caused confusion.

Then end of the world? NO. Force closures, no. There can be valid reasons for bumping old, threads but the "best" thing to do when you do that is acknowledge that it is old, that you know it and why you felt it was important to dig out the old thread INSTEAD of starting a new one.

Again I feel it is generally confusing and it is best to start your own new thread, and discuss your question there.

But since there a a few valid reasons for bumping old, closing isn't a great idea IMHO.

Mike
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #23
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

In no way does it stop exchange of information. If someone wants to make a post they still can but they can do so in an active thread where their input will be more relevant and constructive, rather than (for instance) answering an 8 year old question that no longer has any relevance to anyone, including the guy who asked it all those years ago.

All things considered the 'old thread' warning might be the best answer, but if the software doesn't have the feature then i guess that's not an option.

It's not a big deal...
Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

necrobump
verb: (internet) To revive a long dormant forum thread by adding a new post, thus bringing it to the top of the forum list. Often a tactic of trolls attempting to control a forum
"That troll keeps necrobumping old threads so everyone will be too distracted to read the new important ones."
Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #25
Turner
Super Contributor

Posting in an old thread is not always and probably rarely about answering the original posters question. It is often about asking the original poster some current and relevant question. What is wrong with that?

As an example here is an "old" thread I started. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72022

I don't want this thread closed. There are thousands of old DX7 Tx's out there and no doubt many of them will find there way to new owners. There is no possible reason to prevent someone from asking a pertinent question on this thread.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Support & Suggestions