Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Sham

Friends: (0)
Default Beginner completely hooked

Hi all,
I'm a beginner from Norfolk, UK - well, possibly beyond beginner now - but very much still learning at a fast rate.

The story so far.
I went to my local model shop enquiring about helicopters, they'd always held a fascination for me and was told that the best way to start was with a DX6i and the Phoenix simulator - this sim has all the models I'm likely to use starting out, he said.
Well, that proved fantastic advice and after many hours trying and failing to master the simulated helis I got fed up and tried one of the planes on offer in the sim as a little light relief. That, as they say, was that and after a bit of research I ordered a Hobbyzone SuperCub LP as my trainer plane.

A couple of flights with no major mishaps but certainly nothing that could be called a "landing" followed until I stumbled on a great little forum and invested in bigger wheels and removed the ACT sensors to make landing on grass more straightforward - I won't pretend I'm always successful, but I'm doing OK and the plane has not needed any repairs in well over 50hrs of flight. Other than the wheels, ACT removal and a little leading edge tape, the plane is original and until recently I even managed with the standard charger, though I did invest in a couple of Overlander Supersport 1350mah batteries that fit the standard bird just fine.

To make the next step in my learning, I again went for a Cub - this time the Parkzone SportCub. Ailerons, flaps, huge wheels and brushless power made for another steep learning curve but also a graduation to many more flying sites thanks to being able to land almost anywhere. She flies amazingly, with grace, precision and also with power and agility. Again, undamaged after about 20 hours in the air - I'm quite pleased with myself, but fully aware how easy it is to turn it into a lawn dart.

The batteries I had, although in the recommended range for the Sportcub proved wholly inadequate and so I invested in 2 x 2200mah 3s Overlander Sport units and an Overlander 7A charger to make life a bit faster. I originally went for much bigger batteries, but swapped to the 2200s when the weight of the larger ones proved to affect the planes handling more than I liked. The 2200s still give 12 mins in the air if you don't go WOT everywhere.

Also invested in a tiny eflite camera, which I've had on the Supercub a lot and make the hobby even more enthralling.
There's a few here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE_...J2l-kSfh24zxiw but can someone tell me why the landing is nearly always bad with the camera attached?

I only started 8 months ago and am utterly hooked already! I've learned a lot about planes, electronics and batteries - you would never guess how much there is to know about Lipos, would you?

Possibly looking at larger scale (2m+ wingspan) or something very different like a low wing trike as the next stage in my learning. Staying electric though, IC or turbine just look like too much effort for the same result.

I'm pleased to have been linked here, looks like a knowledgeable and lively forum.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Step up to a trike.....Parkzone T-28 next......then maybe take a swing at a Bipe like a GWS Tiger Moth 400 or an E-Flite Stearman PT-17.....all three will add to your learning curve....

AMA 928214
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Sham

You're the second person to recommend a T-28 as a next step.. I'm not into warbirds, but it does seem popular so will be giving it a look when it is time to move on. Love the idea of a biplane as well, but heard they need an experienced hand so may leave that a while.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
carpetbagger

Friends: (1)

The T-28 was a warbird trainer, most likely the first airplane our men & women in uniform flew. Seems to work for RC training as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
The T-28 was a warbird trainer, most likely the first airplane our men & women in uniform flew. Seems to work for RC training as well.
Well, in this case, a model of a trainer was designed to fly well enough to be a beginners plane. I hate when companies push their rc Cubs and Cessnas as trainers, and you can see they have no dihedral, are fragile with no spare parts available, and all kinds of cool looking scale details and pieces just waiting to get broken. Some planes, like the HobbyZone SuperCub and the ParkZone T-28 have made the right adjustments in the design to make them into good trainers. (Although the PZ T-28 isn't really considered a trainer, just a good beginners plane. )
Old 08-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #6
carpetbagger

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Well, in this case, a model of a trainer was designed to fly well enough to be a beginners plane. I hate when companies push their rc Cubs and Cessnas as trainers, and you can see they have no dihedral, are fragile with no spare parts available, and all kinds of cool looking scale details and pieces just waiting to get broken. Some planes, like the HobbyZone SuperCub and the ParkZone T-28 have made the right adjustments in the design to make them into good trainers. (Although the PZ T-28 isn't really considered a trainer, just a good beginners plane. )
Good point. Trainers need to be tough and easily repairable. Not sure who made the couple T-28s I've seen flying here, but they were good. Bounce a lot before they break, breaks easily fixed, kind of a plane that gets retired because after numerous repairs it's so ugly one is tempted to put lights on it and only go out after dark
Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Sham

I think its quite clear I need to consider a T-28 next... Hahha

does anyone have any experience of the Dynam version?

Meanwhile, a good couple of hours flight this morning with my son.

They look similar, but one is easy for the absolute beginner (my 8 year old can fly it with supervision... Although I'd never let him try to land it!), and one definitely isn't
Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

The T-28 is a very good option but if it's not the type of model that appeals to you there are plenty of alternatives out there. If you have the space then something bigger is worth considering, all other things being equal, generally bigger planes are easier to fly and are less effected by wind and turbulence.

What do you have in mind?

PS.. I wouldnt rule helis out either. Flying helis on a sim is often harder than in real life and there are flight control systems out there that add auto stabilising to helis that make inital learning very much easier.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Sham

I've seen various models of larger size that appeal, Cubs made of balsa or foam amongst many others. I do have a soft spot for the breed.. The eflite Carbon Z looks nice but is pricey.
I found a rather nice Cessna twin engine trike of about 2.4m wingspan made of balsa that I would love, but can't find it now.

I prefer the scale flying to aerobatics, but the plane would have to handle basic loops/rolls.

I haven't really looked properly yet, but with a lack of tarmac to use and mostly grass or smooth field landings, the strength of landing gear is important.. As a wild generalisation, Warbirds seem to struggle in this area.
I need to fly the planes I have a lot more before I take the next step anyway.. But realistic flying is more important than stunting. And I wouldn't mind having to build my next one, either.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by Sham View Post
As a wild generalisation, Warbirds seem to struggle in this area.
Just about ALL RC planes struggle in this area.....

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
colby45

I also started with the HZ SuperCub LP as my first plane. I modded it for a brushless power system and ailerons when I got bored with the stock power system. I moved on to a PZ T-28 after that. I would highly recommend this as a good entry aircraft into more intermediate skill level planes.

It is very responsive and pretty quick, but forgiving enough. If you don't like it, they're are other warbirds out there that have varying degrees of skill level from Parkzone or other manufacturers. They look good flying scale, but you can get some great performance out of them. The EPO foam makes for great belly landings so you don't have to worry about landing gear breaking in grass landings.

Since you have the Phoenix Flight Sim, try the PZ F4U or P-47 and see how you fair with those maybe.

I will have to stick with the T-28 as my recommendation though, just based on my experiences.

You can make a barn door fly with the proper application of thrust!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
Sham

On the Sim, I've tried every plane on there... I much prefer the civilian planes to the warbirds.

Fun, yes, but even the friendlier seem more fragile and more edgy than the others... And the 3d models are just way too involved to be fun all the time.

I just like a relaxing flight
Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
colby45

Well before you jump into something like a twin, which represents a whole new set of challenges, I would recommend at least some sort of low-wing trainer.

The flight characteristics of high-wing and low-wing aircraft can be vastly different. Various landing gear configurations (Tricycle vs. Tail Dragger) can also be something new that you would have to think about.

I would just say walk before you run is all. Parkzone makes a very nice Piper Archer that would maybe suit your requirements. Pretty affordable too!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...bnf-PKZ6180#t1

You can make a barn door fly with the proper application of thrust!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

That's a somewhat sad fact of the hobby, when it comes to scale, the warbirds way outnumber the civilian choices out there, especially when it comes to ARFs. There are a zillion Cubs and some Cessna's, but how about the Piper Cherokee, Mooney, etc. And how about the airliners? Also not very well represented. I had a Dynam Turbojet, which is a loosely scale representation of the Cessna Citation bizjet, and it got more attention at the field because you don't see many EDF's other than fighter jets. I guess the voters (buyers!) choose by their purchases...
Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Sham

Indeed, and if you don't fancy a warbird then things are limited.
A low wing trike was the intended path of progression, but the choices are limited. The Archer is nice enough but just doesn't appeal for some reason. I don't even know why. I just don't fancy it.

I do agree about a twin maybe being a leap too far since I've never flown a low wing but I just saw it and liked it. I guess I just keep my eyes open for something I like.

I plan on keeping all the planes I buy (if I can keep them in one piece) so won't buy something that doesn't interest me...

But for a guy not bothered by warbirds... There isn't a lot to grab the eyeballs.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Sham View Post
Indeed, and if you don't fancy a warbird then things are limited.
A low wing trike was the intended path of progression, but the choices are limited. The Archer is nice enough but just doesn't appeal for some reason. I don't even know why. I just don't fancy it.

I do agree about a twin maybe being a leap too far since I've never flown a low wing but I just saw it and liked it. I guess I just keep my eyes open for something I like.

I plan on keeping all the planes I buy (if I can keep them in one piece) so won't buy something that doesn't interest me...

But for a guy not bothered by warbirds... There isn't a lot to grab the eyeballs.
Sham there is a building side to this hobby and plenty of free plans to choose from in balsa annd foam. I belong to your forums in the UK And Germany plus a couple others countrys and we share free plans ,mostly foam planes. Its a nice way to build nice planes and here i use Dollar tree foam but in the UK i think they use a foam underlayment for floors or depron. You will find a ton of free plans here and other imfo . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/ And some free downloads from the German forums http://modell-aviator.de/category/downloads/ Over 5000 free balsa plans from your neck of the woods in the UK http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp If your ever looking for a free plan just pm me sir . My last foam build was from a free plan from Germany from Jurgen B and its called the Judy Jetstream and a cartoon plane I blew mine up bigger but here is mine almost finised . The video is from Jurgen of his . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1_FXwVJc6Y#t=0 Welcome to a great hobby Sham ! joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	judy jetstream rebuild.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	176853  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #17
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

A flying buddy of mine has one of these.... ARF version Tech One.

The RTF version:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/techonertf.html

Very well made, flight stable, no bad habits and won't break the bank for spare parts....and it's a trike that handles fairly smooth turf landings.....

AMA 928214
Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
Sham

I think I'm just a bit picky.

I'm not keen on warbirds.
It needs to look and fly scale. An awful lot of kits or plans end up with something unspecifically plane shaped.

I found this http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/e-flite-b...575-4751-p.asp which looks like it could fit the bill...

But I do need to fly the ones I've got a lot more before moving on.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

We're all guilty of constantly shopping for that next plane! Eventually, you'll have 2 or 3 planes part way built, 3 or 4 more in boxes still, and still find yourself drooling over some new bird!

You're wiser to remember to get more experience before stepping up to a rely nice plane like that one.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners