Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
stranexuk

Friends: (0)
Default Recommend me an ARTF sport trainer

Hi all,

Long time member here and did a few IC to leccy conversions a few years back. Child and other interests took me down another line though so not been in the "loop" for a good few years.

Anyhow, I'm looking to get back into it all again and looking for recommendations for the above. Has to be fairly docile to fly (no 3D aeros here!) as I'll be letting my old man loose on it too who's not flown RC for almost 25 years!

Requirements;

Probably 3s (have these lying around and gives me the right "size" I'm looking for....not too big but weighty enough to be stable in slight breeze common in the UK)
3-4Ch
Scale or Semi- Scale (just personal taste)
ARTF or as close as can be (need it next week for Dads birthday)
Flying off grass so needs to be fairly sturdy

So, go ahead.....what would you recommend? If you need more detail as to my requirements please say

Have so far looked at the E Flite Pulse 25e or the Wot 4 E (I'm in the UK and this get particularly good reviews)....any alternatives you guys can suggest?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

If you have some flying experience, it's hard to beat the Parkzone T-28

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...an-pnp-PKZ4475

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

X2 on the t-28 its a good solid flyer.

IF you wanna go classic high wing trainer that you can just float into an easy landing, I loved my alpha 450 sport. It was a rocket with a solid 200+ watt motor and 3 cells. I later used the same combo on a mini ultra stick and could get close to 75mph out of it with a 10x10 prop.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Being in the UK gives you the best possibility ... and you have already named it .....

WOT 4E ......

Forget all the T28 and rest... the WOT 4 beats all hands down.

As an old hand - you must remember like me, the number of IC powered WOT 4's you'd see at meetings.

Of course then there's Acro-WOT etc.

Remember the WOT 4 can be tamed down as a docile machine or wound up to carve the air with the best.

I scratch-built a half size WOT 4 in foam from Ushers plans ..... until my stupid too low antics other day - one of the best I ever had. I will be scratching out another.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
stranexuk

Thanks guys!

Must admit the Wot 4 "type" airframe is more what I'm after rather than a "faux" semi scale thing....apologies if my original post didn't make this clear.

Having read a lot of reviews though it would appear the Wot 4 E doesn't come without problems (CG, 4s rather than 3s) and think I'll pass it by. There is a foam version of course but don't think that'll be durable enough for me and too light to fly in the UK breezes!

There must be SOMETHING that's 3s electric, ARTF, balsa, sturdy and stable in a slight gust......isn't there?!??!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Consider an E-Flite Extra 260....can be tamed down quite easily, will ROG on grass and is 3s.......Balsa/ply construction:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/eflite/c...a/EFL2475.html

AMA 928214
Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by stranexuk View Post
Thanks guys!

Must admit the Wot 4 "type" airframe is more what I'm after rather than a "faux" semi scale thing....apologies if my original post didn't make this clear.

Having read a lot of reviews though it would appear the Wot 4 E doesn't come without problems (CG, 4s rather than 3s) and think I'll pass it by. There is a foam version of course but don't think that'll be durable enough for me and too light to fly in the UK breezes!

There must be SOMETHING that's 3s electric, ARTF, balsa, sturdy and stable in a slight gust......isn't there?!??!
To be honest with your latest info ... in think you are going to be hard pushed to find something heavy for UK winds and light enough for 3S.

Near all wood models are now (art / rtf) made in Chinese lite-ply.... and I know from my own models actually lighter overall than the same foam job.

I think you dismiss the WOT 4E too quickly. If I was still in UK - I would most certainly be flying one.

For others replying - please note that quoting US based models can be frustrating as UK pricing / availability is completely different.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

"For others replying - please note that quoting US based models can be frustrating as UK pricing / availability is completely different."

Thanks Nigel.........I'm sure we're all not as "knowledgable" as your world travels have provided you.....but many of us Yanks are quite aware of the differences.......

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...e2efl2475.html

E-Flite is available around the world my friend......and only a key board stroke away.

AMA 928214
Old 09-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
stranexuk

Thought there might have been more suggestions here, gotta be a whole LOAD of people who've wanted/had similar?

Looking deeper I've also come across the following;

Sebart Shark 30E
E Flite Ultra Stick 25E

Both seem to gte good reviews although the Sahark doesn't appear to be widely available anymore?
Old 09-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
"For others replying - please note that quoting US based models can be frustrating as UK pricing / availability is completely different."

Thanks Nigel.........I'm sure we're all not as "knowledgable" as your world travels have provided you.....but many of us Yanks are quite aware of the differences.......

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...e2efl2475.html

E-Flite is available around the world my friend......and only a key board stroke away.
Hi P ..

I wasn't aiming at you ... but just making general comment because it tends to get forgotten that UK and USA often have different models / pricing.
Horizon for example has bad reputation in UK ....

Nigel

Old 09-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hi P ..

I wasn't aiming at you ... but just making general comment because it tends to get forgotten that UK and USA often have different models / pricing.
Horizon for example has bad reputation in UK ....

Nigel
Apologies "paid forward" for getting a little off topic........

Nigel.....I think your info on the UK Horizon Hobby reputation may be a little dated......yes, "bad tastes" may linger for some, quite awhile......it's a fact of human nature. However, having spent countless hours researching marketing, service, product availability, product quality, vendor revenue, global presence....ect, ect.......as part of a Master's Thesis project (soon to be published in January 2015), both through internet resources/research and one-on-one interviews (E-mail, chat, face-to face and phone conversations) with several (management level) e-commerce based RC vendors.....
It was determined in our (September 2013 to January 2014) investigation, that, from a "global" commerce perspective (in locations like the U.K. where the vendors provide/support product and customer service) Horizon had a few "growing" pains getting a "foothold" related to communication and correpondance issues after it expanded it's presence (feet on the ground) particularly in the U.K., around late 2009 to early 2011.

Here are a few examples/sample we found during our "forum" data collection research....there are many more less interesting:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=54121

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=68057&page=2

http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/e-flit...e-awesome.html

http://www.redtechnology.com/customers/horizon-hobby/

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...t-service.html

Without going into further details, (we determined, as far as e-commerce goes) Horizon's "global" presence, product lines and reputation continues to lead the industry in many "service" related catagories......

Disclaimer:

I and all those involved in the aformentioned research, are not employed, sponsored or otherwise engaged for profit, by or with Horizon Hobby.....

AMA 928214

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners