Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Default Phoenix 2000

Well
I think I may have purchased a good sailplane. I own a Wild Hawk but I would reckon that most true sailplanes pilots giggle and say "that aint no sailplane this is a sailplane" I originally wanted the Sonic 185 but nitroplanes took too long to get it in stock. For those who do not know I am impatient sometimes. Anyhow I saw this at HobbyKing on the 6th of May http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13994 and thought "why not Lets do this." So HK is slow as usual, Sonic came in while I wait DOHA, even with EMS shipping,which is not worth the extra funds I might add, she is currently in customs in good ole NYC and I hope to see her arrive soon. SHHH my wife does not know yet and I plan to tell her it is a gift to myself for my recent promotion at work . I am excited to try this one out I even purchased a satellite thinga a mobber to go with it in hopes I can go pretty high or far and not lose contact with the plane. So as I wait I began to look for other reviews on this plane and found very little. So if anyone has a Phoenix 2000 I would be interested in your thoughts. If not well, when I get my in the mail I will be sure to ramble some to give some folks my ideas on what I hope will be a fun plane.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Congrats on the promotion! Im sure you will enjoy that 2m, looks pretty good.

IMO I do like those satellite thinga a mobbers too, had no probs as of yet with mine......knock knock....on wood!!
Also you might get a pair of those yellow clear glasses, they help incredible amounts for me when over 1000' up. As always....Good Luck with the wife!!

have a good one
christopher
Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Smile My Humble Review

Got a surprise last night from the Postman. I guess USPS.com is not always so accurate because my Phoenix 2000 arrived. The build seemed like it would be easy, yeah not so much. I did not take any pictures to show progress because I figured it would be so easy no one would care. Boy was I wrong. First of all everything came well packed in fact over packed and I can not complain about that I was just worried that I might accidentally lose something with all that packing material. After getting everything unpacked I read the manual or lack of manual. Basically it was worthless. If you dont have a little building experience you will get some with this kit. An example of the manual would be "attach tail wing." Yea I know I need to do this but with what and do I glue it or use these screws?? So my build lasted a good 4 1/2 hours. Ok enough of that. I saw that it has precut room for flap servos and all you need to do is cut the flaps out and Voilà and I just had 2 extra servos that were the correct size for this, on top of that there was enough extra hardware to make it work. This alone made up for the lack of instructions. I was actually surprised to see that the fuselage is not made of foam but plastic which I think is great and far more sturdy but I became concerned that it may be to heavy So after a lot of study of pictures I got this plane built and thought to be very nice and got excited to get her in the air. I then began to test all electronics and found I could not get the flaps to work and will have to do some research on how to get them to work with a DX6I. Decided I would have to maiden with out flaps. Checked the weather report and looked like Sunday/today would be a perfect day for a maiden but I have to get up early 5am early but will be worth it if it flies well.

So 5am comes around and grabbed my coffee and water and off to the field I went. After arrival of my flying buddy, Gary, we did a good preflight check and found that the elevator was not quite right and I needed to adjust the control horn and servos more. Got that done checked the throttle and the prop flew off. It would seem that the collete nut tends to back off while spinning. So added some thread lock to it and that seemed to fix that problem. My Pucker factor on a scale of 1-10 was about a 5 due to 1. maiden 2. lack of instructions but 3. was confident in my build and 4. My Mojo was good. Gary has a lot of experience with sailplanes and he was happy to give it a hand toss for me. She flew great required very little trim. Most trim corrections were in the up elevator. This bird cant wait to climb and climbs fast. After trim it was time to just enjoy a nice flight. The phoenix is very graceful and quite she loved being in the air and glided 90% of a 20 min flight. The hard part came when it was time to land the Phoenix flies gracefully but also gains speed rather quickly. I began to wish I had those flaps working. She came in to hot 3 times and I continued to go around for another go at it. I was worried that the prop brake would not work, because that is my luck,and worried I would break a prop, I dont have a spare. Finally I was able to get her far enough out for a nice easy glide and the prop break worked perfectly for a nice gentle glide to the ground. Belly landed perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGs7_...&feature=g-upl

This plane is a great sailplane in my opinion flies and glides very nice. Need to add some color to the bottom of the wing for orientation purposes. The instructions have a lot to be desired but that is probably it worst thing about this plane. I look forward to sloaping her and just enjoying some RnR flying and it loves the wind and for someone in Wyoming or Kansas or anywhere wind is a norm this plane will make you very pleased you got it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix.png
Views:	328
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	160147 phoenix 2000 completed

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Good on you Fishbonez! I've been curious about the Phoenix 2000 myself and wonder how she would stack up to a Radian. Looking forward to more of your flight reports. Have you ever come a long way from Flirtin' With Disaster!

It's heartwarming to see a guy who learned the hard way (the ground--hardest part of flying...) have success and get into a sailplane. I love my Slow Stick but sailplanes will always be my first love. Sorry Annie.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks Rockin...Yea she is nice and have flown her at least 4 more times since sunday. I have a satelite with her and looking forward to getting up so high that I see this wee spec of a plane and getting all on minicam. My friend gary own a sonic 185 and hopefully this summer we will take both sailplanes out to the hills just below the mountains and try out some sloap soaring.

Oh buy the way I think this plane and many others like it will blow the radian away to include radian pro. Radian just too small in my opinion but the pro does have flaps and I like that, Mine still does not have working flaps researching that out still to this day

Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

+1 on "heartwarming" The addiction that flying is, is only trumped when you get hooked on sailplanes, even better when you hit 20min. flight times, then 30,...then 40....

BTW Good Tunes and Vid!

Have you given her a nickname yet??

cr
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
even better when you hit 20min. flight times, then 30,...then 40....
I hear that my neck is getting quite the work out....

BTW Good Tunes and Vid!

Have you given her a nickname yet??

cr
Gotta love Boston...As far as a Nick not yrt but I am thinking of calling her "neck breaker"

Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I havent made 40min. quite yet, but getting close.

I thought a "neck breaker" was a purty gurl!!

Definitely watching this thread. I think I need another e-glider.....p2000 or a radian, the pics over on the Radian thread are gonna be hard to beat... ..... but kinda leaning toward a Siren or Nike II for spice.

Christopher
Old 05-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I thought a "neck breaker" was a purty gurl!!

Christopher
Well my wife like to break the other end and she is a purty girl LOL

Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I havent made 40min. quite yet, but getting close.

Definitely watching this thread. I think I need another e-glider.....p2000 or a radian, the pics over on the Radian thread are gonna be hard to beat... ..... but kinda leaning toward a Siren or Nike II for spice.

Christopher
Well I dont know if I can ever hit 40mins and prove it because minicam will only record for 20 but it does seem like a good challenge. I have not seen those 2 birds will have to do some research on those

Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I use timer on my tx, but it don't really matter....its more for me than anyone else....lol....most of my flights are 15-20mins, I just like to keep track so I can maintain lil' cushion for LVC.

If I could actually find a thermal on purpose and not by accident, it would be easier. They are so hard to keep up with.

christopher
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I use timer on my tx, but it don't really matter....its more for me than anyone else....lol....most of my flights are 15-20mins, I just like to keep track so I can maintain lil' cushion for LVC.
Good Idea did not think of that to see how long I soard for so used to using it fo battery life

If I could actually find a thermal on purpose and not by accident, it would be easier. They are so hard to keep up with.

christopher
True very true

Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Any good or bad flight characteristics in your opinion after your first several flights? Stalls, CG adjustment from factory numbers,....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

CG was spot on but it does stall if you do not give it a wide birth for turns. It will turn on a dime but if it does not have some good wind it will staill especiaclly in crosswinds. She loves to climb and will climb very fast not like a rocket but you will definitly be at altitude in no time at all. and it really does not want to leave the sky cuz landing can be an experience and need to give it room because she wants to glide for a while before greeting the ground.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Good to know....thx Fish. Hope you have many flights with it.
In my short tenure with e-gliders, the wide flight envelope is what attracted me first, fairly slow landing and low sink rates(almost hard to land, meaning you have to extend your "landing" pattern sometimes two-fold), but still able to zoom around and yank/bank if you wanna and able to fly in a little more wind.

There is a mountain of info to learn with gliding, and I am still at base camp 1!! Kinda silly, but my confidence in flying all my planes, went sky high when I first shut off the throttle. It seemed like forever (ok....maybe 2 or 3 mins) til I had to throttle back up. Also I am glad to see a little more interest in e-gliders.

BTW what battery you using?.... In my experience, a lil' smaller battery sometimes works better(less sink), if you can still maintain CoG.

cr
Old 05-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #16
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Good to know....thx Fish. Hope you have many flights with it.
In my short tenure with e-gliders, the wide flight envelope is what attracted me first, fairly slow landing and low sink rates(almost hard to land, meaning you have to extend your "landing" pattern sometimes two-fold), but still able to zoom around and yank/bank if you wanna and able to fly in a little more wind.
This would be same for me. Although the wide envelope can be a con because the Phoenix is not portable by no means. I am thinking of a mod to make the wings a bit easier to remove for transport. You aint kidding about the landing pattern I have almost hit myself as it keeps gliding buy.

There is a mountain of info to learn with gliding, and I am still at base camp 1!! Kinda silly, but my confidence in flying all my planes, went sky high when I first shut off the throttle. It seemed like forever (ok....maybe 2 or 3 mins) til I had to throttle back up. Also I am glad to see a little more interest in e-gliders.
You aint kidding with a lot to learn and I am eager to soak it all in and at least you have made to base camp I am still at the bottom going which way do i go? LOL

BTW what battery you using?.... In my experience, a lil' smaller battery sometimes works better(less sink), if you can still maintain CoG.

cr
Currently I am using 3s 1800MAH. They are batteries I had and use in other models as well and I think that type of battery is a good average battery for most planes at least the ones in my fleet anyway

Old 05-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

That thing sounds like a really legitimate sailplane. After I rebuild my old Radian I may have to look into one of those. Sounds like she flies faster than a Radian, which would be an interesting difference. After all, why buy two planes that behave exactly alike?

So are the wings not removeable the way she's designed? How are they attached, and what kind of modification are you thinking of?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I'm watching this thread with interest. I started on a scratchbuilt radian knockoff sailplane my boss built and while it flew okay, I didn't appreciate what it was really doing and I didn't like the neck strain. Almost had to lay on my back.

I did see a U2 edf dragon lady the other day. Watched how he chopped the throttle at high altitude catching the thermals and teasing the circling hawks. I'll be it flew 20 minutes, at least. Pretty cool.

Might have to put a sailplane on my bucket list to add some balance to my flying. Been going for speed lately but that can be nerve wracking. Would be nice to have a change of scenery.

Great stuf guys.

Happy Memorial Day !

-Dave
Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
So are the wings not removable the way she's designed? How are they attached, and what kind of modification are you thinking of?
The wings are screwed in with 4 screws that attached to the fuselage. Through a 2 strong pieces of plastic. A big deal? Heck no but I appreciate portability and I am firm believer in "time is money" Where am I going with this? Well here in Wyoming mother nature gives you a sporadic window of no wind or light winds for an unexpected time. The wind here is really unpredictable. I for one keep my planes hanging in my garage, so I can grab my planes and quickly head out to the field when that window opens up. No one want to have to grab a screwdriver remove the screws, wings load into vehicles, drive to the field, unload, reattach wings and get to flying. When the wind could start picking up at 20 - 30 mph gusts in a moments notice. I know we are talking about a sail plane here. I get that, but again it comes back to portability. Does one want to do all that to go hiking to find a good slope to soar? Maybe, I dont know yet for I have not gone yet we will see.

I have been tossing around the idea of Velcro attaching the wings but I appreciate the sturdiness of the plastic and screws the Phoenix provides and I think there is a good reason for it to exist, or the use of some sort of quick disconnect. Lets not forget there is a reason I am not an engineer. So I have not come up with a mod nor do I think I will have a good one to come up with because though not portable so far it is sturdy and that may out weight the need for portability

Old 05-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #20
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Phoenix 1 Wind 2

Rough day for the Phoenix or as I am starting to call her "neck breaker"
At first I thought I may have had a problem with the ESC, which is a problem I have heard of from some other reviews, but in reality I learned that I am not ready to fly a glider in 20+ winds.
Here is what happened, took off like a champ got to Altitude in a heartbeat. She booked downwind and that is when it got bad fast. I went to turn back into the wind and it seemed I had no control looped over and over turning clockwise and lost complete control of her. Handed the controls to my flying buddy gary but it was to late she was going down. Well recovery mission. We quickly found her about a 1/4 mile away with minimal damage just a minor tear in the wing where it meets the plastic to attache to the fuse. Wind score 1 point. Phoenix 0. Took her back, set it down on the tailgae of my truck and patched her up. Took a break while chit chatting big brreze came buy lifting the Phoenix off my tailgate ripping a wing and busting an aileron. Wind 2 Phoenix 0. So patched her up again. Took off again remebering the basics and staying up wind. But amaizingly again it got away from me downwind ARGH. Im thinking that I may have an ESC problem but hande the controls to Gary again in hopes he can bring her back a bit closer. He took control of that sailplane like a champ brought her unharmed and barely use of any power. In fact landed it right in front of us. Right On Gary. Phoenix 1. After that I knew it was not the plane but the knuckle head flying her. Note to self, sailplanes are not as easy as they look, dont forget the basics and always keep a good sailplane pilot near buy.

On another note though. I did get the Flaps working and so now I am excited to take ole Neck Breaker out again but I think I will wait until the wind dies down just a bit before I go for it again.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Do they sell spare parts for that plane? Sounds like everything you have is repairable and it was all good experience. Yes, a sailplane in wind is a new experience and not one that you will take lightly for long.

You'll want to carry around more airspeed in windy conditions than you normally might. And since you are on the ground, it can be difficult to judge just what your airspeed is.

You did good! You learned a lot. I say you outscored the wind there.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well unfortunatly I am not finding to many places for spare parts for the 2000 itself and from some older threads I have read that buying a new plane was cheaper, many sailplane parts out there but do not know if I could use them as a mix and match kind of deal. So I have not found any web sites that say this is the wing etc etc. This could be a con in the future however I think I could modify something if I had to make it work.

I definitly underestimated some of the skills required to fly a sailplain in a lot of wind. My friend Gary makes it look easy and I figured since I had been using the Wild Hawk for some time I was ready. That is not to say I am not ready I believe I am but in this instance I took the wind, skill and the basics for granted

Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I definitly underestimated some of the skills required to fly a sailplain in a lot of wind. My friend Gary makes it look easy and I figured since I had been using the Wild Hawk for some time I was ready. That is not to say I am not ready I believe I am but in this instance I took the wind, skill and the basics for granted
at I

Don't be too hard on yourself. I did the same thing about a month after I bought my Radian. I figured that I had plenty of experience and did the loop of death too. You let that nose get too high and take a gust, before you know it the plane is on its back. After all, it's all wing.\

Mine was in many pieces. But that's where I got confidence in Gorilla Glue White, spent an hour with some blue 2" masking tape and put that thing back together just about as good as new. I flew her two days later. I never would have learned to handle Gorilla Glue without the mishap. And it added confidence to my flying because I knew I could handle the consequences.

Then a year later I lost her to a flyaway. Why? Same old overconfidence and letting my guard down. The transition between "Wow! I can't believe she's flying this good to "Oh, crap, which way is she flying?" takes less than a second.....
Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Glad I did not give up

Boy what a week for the Phoenix. After the crash of last weekend and adding flaps. I could not get this plane to fly right. I was becoming so frustrated that I was ready to toss it in the trash. Three devastating crashes due to battery moveent causing out of balance, A servo began sticking in tail ARGH and nuerouse cracks in the wings. I Finally checked rechecked, tested and retsted, balanced and rebalanced until I was blue in the face. Grabbed my buddy Gary for a mojo boost and a hand toss and finally off she went straight as an arrow and flying lke she did from the beginnig. Flaps was interesting, I have never used them before and was not sure when to apply the but once I did the Phoenix just floated in and seemd to enjoy them almost hovering in front of me. Now I have been flying for just over a year and that was the first time my plane landed right in front of me. I did not have to take a step to pick her up. If I was not afraid of prop bite due to reching out I ay have been able to reach out and grab it right of the air. All in all flaps are worth it and are worth the extra effort to install them.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #25
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Angry Toast

Well where to begin.
The Phoenix 2000 is officially toast. Well let me back up. First of all the Phoenix 2000 has 2 bad drawbacks. First of all the battery tray, Very weak and has to constantly be checked the balsa easily comes loose causing a possible CG problem due to it shifting either forwards or backwards. The 2nd drawback can be its stall characteristics. It does not take much for this plane to stall on any turn. This brings me to Monday evening. A big crash. The wind was blowing at maybe 18 mph with gust at about 20mph. A typical day here in Wyoming. However when Fishbonez decides to go flying in windy conditions it no longer becomes a typical day in Wyoming. I was a bit apprehensive taking my Phoenix 2000 up in the wind because I had had a rough couple of days repairing her but one of the reasons I purchased a sailplane was to enjoy the wind. Today was not that day. While in flight I made a mistake not sure what mistake that was but it caused the plane to stall and it came down like a rocket at approximately 60 mph and slammed into some playground equipment, making a huge plume of foam, luckily no kids there, but the couple sitting on the bench well lets just say they are now ready for the Olympic high jump. Scared the pants off them. Glad they were not hit or hurt. The phoenix well did not fare so well. She is repairable but will definitely take some toothpicks, glue and a lot of heart to get her back up. After several pain staking hours of repair. She was ready for another go and today was the day. As usual she took off right out of my hand and climbed to height fast. That was the best I can report because suddenly she began to turn right and fly in circles with no response to left. Possibly a sticking servo. I tried to give it some rudder but no response suddenly it stalled and came rushing down. Learning from my last mistake I quickly gave it some gas and up elevator. Motor kicked on but no response to the elevator. Then Wham right into some pine trees. Ripping the wings and tail feathers off. Wing and tail feathers were left high a top of a tree and the fuse log stuck in the ground nose down in the mud. Broken prop. Tried recovering the wing with numerous tactics but she was stuck. Many other parts were found spread through out the crash site. I recovered all that I could find but was going to have to wait until the wind began to blow to recover the wing and tail feathers. Few hours later the wind kicked up and I went to recover. However the wing had separated from the carbon spar and huge chunks of foam were missing from both sides of the wing. Some were still showered through out the pine tree. So all in all she is toast. Even if I were to fix her up it would require a lot of replacement foam to get the wings back to a usable condition and to mount to the fuselage. Now the question is this do I purchase a spare set of wings and tail feathers? A good idea however the cost of the wings and tail feather is just about 10 dollars shy of a new P2k. Do I try another sail plane? This is possible but I don’t like to give up on any plane I purchase. So I am not sure which way to go.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes