Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)
Default Dremel MS20-01 Moto Scroll Saw

Guys

Anyone on the Forum have this tool & can
advise on it's performance? (and preciseness)

Maybe planning a large scratch build over
the winter. Use will probably be limited to
lite/ply & balsa. It would take most of winter
for me to hand cut the parts. (old hands)

Any advise from an owner of this tool would
be appreciated! Or anyone that has used one.

Thanks & Regards
Jimmy
Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
riverrat

Default Pic ddidn't upload?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MS20_2in1_lg%20r117564v15.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	177327
Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Guys

Thanks & Regards
Jimmy

Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I had the multi-shop from them .... serious bench scroll job with PTO remote and disc sander attachment. To be honest ..... the Polish copy I now have is same except lack of attachments. It exhibits same problem - I could never get an absolute square 90 deg cut or have it follow my lines .... it always bent or distorted due to lack of blade tension. I wish I had paid a little more and got a band saw instead.

Sorry to be negative, but if you are looking for precise cutting .... I could never achieve it.

I've now coughed up the necessary and bought a laser cutter. Different ball game completely. My scroll saw will now be virtually redundant except for those jobs that will not fit the laser cabinet.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

You be happier with a "real" scroll saw in the long run. The throat is small and the types of blades it can take are limited.

A good saw is a pleasure to use. Sometimes you can find used ones for a reasonable price. I have an old 24" Delta that I got for $30 (the transmission runs in a oil bath!) I have a 20" Dewalt DW788 and that's a good saw too. My sister got a good deal on a Sakura scroll saw which is also very nice. Make sure used saws have all their parts!

My dad always said "buy good tools - once".

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Guys

Thanks & Regards
Jimmy
I've got both an expensive scroll saw, and a 10 inch wheel band saw. The band saw gets about 99% of the cutting in my workshop. The only time the scroll saw comes out is when I need to cut inside of something. You can also cut tapered stock with one, like solid ailerons from a block of balsa.

One problem with a scroll saw, is the same half dozen teeth on the blade do all of the cutting. Cutting 1/4 inch plywood can be a pain in the ***. Push to hard, and those 6 teeth get hot, and dull up. So, plan on very short life for those scroll saw blades. (At least those scroll saw blades are cheap enough)

This does not happen with a band saw blade. Typically those blades will last until you try to saw an inbedded piece of metal in your lumber.

Even a cheap Harbor Freight bandsaw will far outperform a scroll saw. You just can't cut inside holes with one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-be...saw-60500.html
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2.5-a...adCell=pvt_1_1

FYI, for those folks that have a band saw, and can't get blades for it, there are a number of suppliers that will make band saw blades to your specifications. My last batch of blades came from this supplier:
http://www.detroitbandsaw.com/store....70&catid=19886

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

The scroll saw is ok for cutting balsa and ply up to about 3/32.Anything thicker,and you get the problems mentioned above.A friend of mine has a Proxxon table saw,and it's a fantastic piece of kit.But in these parts,it costs the equivalent of about US$700.You need to do a lot of cutting to make that worthwhile.
I have a small 7" bandsaw that will cut all my hobby size wood,but again,a straight line is not it's strong point.My Dremel motoshop only gets used for curved cuts,it's quite hard trying to cut in a straight line.I found you need to feed your wood in at a slight angle to get a more or less straight cut.
Having said that,the model you show is a much newer model,so may be improved.
I would go to the supplier,and see if he will let you cut a test piece of 1/4 pl
A small band saw will let you cut fairly large curves,but for small ones,there is no substitute for the scroll saw.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

A bandsaw certainly is very useful. I had one for many years before I got a scroll saw. I have a newer 12" welded steel frame bandsaw from Sears that is surprisingly good and a huge Laguna Tools bandsaw for resawing lumber. That one has a starter switch and a foot brake for the wheels!

At one time I had a Walker-Turner "Snowflake" from the 1930's I restored. I sold it for a positively shameful profit to a gent who HAD to have it to match his other WT tools.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
riverrat

Default Thanks

Thanks to all!

My restriction is space. I have accumulated to much
good stuff. I have always bought name brand, & it has
paid off.

I'll keep looking, thinking about one that will accept
both pinned & straight blades. And one that can be moved
to different locations, and stored somewhere.

Thanks Again!!!!
Regards
Jimmy
Old 09-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Hard to beat this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQs...O7LsqWqJOCWhSQ

My Dremel / Polish Scroll job could never even approach this precision.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
riverrat

Nigel

Really nice.
Is that the one you have?
I think it would be overkill
for my one/off project.

Regards
Jimmy+
Old 09-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nigel

Really nice.
Is that the one you have?
I think it would be overkill
for my one/off project.

Regards
Jimmy+
Its a bog standard K40 cheapo Chinese job ... one that gets bad reviews on CNC sites !!

Nigel

Old 09-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

I got tired of chasing the Dremel across the floor from the vibration. So I finally bought a Ryobi with variable speed and never looked back. As said above the Delta bandsaw does 99% of the work.

Gord.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
riverrat

Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I got tired of chasing the Dremel across the floor from the vibration. So I finally bought a Ryobi with variable speed and never looked back. As said above the Delta bandsaw does 99% of the work.
Thanks!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 09-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
tr4252

I prefer band saws now, but to make cutouts inside the perimeter of a part I use a scroll saw.

The problems with inexpensive scroll saws are in the fact that they're difficult if not impossible to square up, the blade guides are cheap and of poor design, and they provide limited or no adjustment for tension. All 3 factors are important to successful cutting. Also, some sort of air jet to blow chips away from your layout lines is very useful to have.

Have a good supply of new sharp blades handy, in different pitches (teeth per inch).

I used to be a steel rule die maker, and cut 5/8" and 3/4" maple plywood to tight tolerances daily on Richards die saws; essentially the industrial version of the type we're talking about here.

Got a CNC router now, don't use saws much any more.

Tom
Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #15
riverrat

Gord

Is your Ryobi a ZRSC164ys 16 1n.

Regards
Jimmy
Old 09-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #16
riverrat

Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
I prefer band saws now, but to make cutouts inside the perimeter of a part I use a scroll saw.

The problems with inexpensive scroll saws are in the fact that they're difficult if not impossible to square up, the blade guides are cheap and of poor design, and they provide limited or no adjustment for tension. All 3 factors are important to successful cutting. Also, some sort of air jet to blow chips away from your layout lines is very useful to have.

Have a good supply of new sharp blades handy, in different pitches (teeth per inch).

I used to be a steel rule die maker, and cut 5/8" and 3/4" maple plywood to tight tolerances daily on Richards die saws; essentially the industrial version of the type we're talking about here.

Got a CNC router now, don't use saws much any more.

Tom
Tom

Thanks! I just need something for a one/off scratch build that I am thinking
about doing. A band saw is real nice, but I am limited for space. Before retiring I had access to any tool I wanted, as long as my Generators & boilers were on line. In fact I am welcomed back in the evening any time. But it's 40 mi. RT, & would take a few wk's of evenings. So I will keep looking for something I can get by with. I know you love your CNC Router!!!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
suresharp

I knew about the same as you about scroll saws. In looking for a good one the dealer suggested I find a wood tool trade show. The manufactures demo their scroll saws. It was true, I got to ask questions of manufacture, use it at the show, its limitations pointed out by the pros and got it discounted for $200.00. I use it for many more projects than my model builds.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Vibration ! Yep .... I used G-clamps to lock mine down .... whole bench then started vibrating.

The difficulty staying on a line and blade bending are worst matters.

My laser cutter is not really designed for plywood over 2mm, so once I get out of hospital - I plan to try 'engraving deep' into ply and hope the scroll saw will follow line of least resistance ie the lasered line. At least I will have exact plan templates transferred.

So for me possibly an amalgam of two machines.

Nigel

Old 09-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #19
riverrat

Originally Posted by suresharp View Post
I knew about the same as you about scroll saws. In looking for a good one the dealer suggested I find a wood tool trade show. The manufactures demo their scroll saws. It was true, I got to ask questions of manufacture, use it at the show, its limitations pointed out by the pros and got it discounted for $200.00. I use it for many more projects than my model builds.
Mr Suresharp

What machine did you purchase?

Regards
Jimmy
Old 09-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
riverrat

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Vibration ! Yep .... I used G-clamps to lock mine down .... whole bench then started vibrating.

The difficulty staying on a line and blade bending are worst matters.

My laser cutter is not really designed for plywood over 2mm, so once I get out of hospital - I plan to try 'engraving deep' into ply and hope the scroll saw will follow line of least resistance ie the lasered line. At least I will have exact plan templates transferred.

So for me possibly an amalgam of two machines.

Nigel
Nigel

Sounds like a good plan!
Sorry to hear you are laid up!
Get well soon!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Things are improving - now they know not appendix ... but inflamed bowel. No surgery.

I think the laser cutters will become the tool once they sort a few things. Price is not so bad but just need a little more larger work area.

Cheers
Nigel

Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #22
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Jimmy:
The model number on mine is SC163VS. I've had it quite a number of yrs. It does have a blower on it too.

Gord.

Gord.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #23
riverrat

Jimmy:
The model number on mine is SC163VS. I've had it quite a number of yrs. It does have a blower on it too.

Gord.
Yeah! They have the 165 out now.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #24
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

I own a delta larger size one on legs and would not know what to do with a hand held one exept cut myself and bleed everywhere . I dont see the need for a hand held one since you move the wood aroud on a flat surface on bigger ones so its would be kinda hard with a hand held one . It might be as a carpenter for 30 years and iam picky about my power tools plus a old grumpy dude . I would buy a bigger one for more money and a good brand name so it lasts the 25 years like mine has. Just Saying ! Ok they are 300 bucks for a nice one but you can use it for tons of thengs around the home. joe http://toolguyd.com/delta-scroll-saw-40-690-sale/ Lets say your cutting wing ribs and you have one pattern rib cut and its stacked on 10 or so blanks that you want to match your pattern and cut out . It would be a pain in your rear to hold the rib blanks in your hand and try and cut them with the one above . joe http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...%22+scroll+saw
Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #25
riverrat

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I own a delta larger size one on legs and would not know what to do with a hand held one exept cut myself and bleed everywhere . I dont see the need for a hand held one since you move the wood aroud on a flat surface on bigger ones so its would be kinda hard with a hand held one . It might be as a carpenter for 30 years and iam picky about my power tools plus a old grumpy dude . I would buy a bigger one for more money and a good brand name so it lasts the 25 years like mine has. Just Saying ! Ok they are 300 bucks for a nice one but you can use it for tons of thengs around the home. joe http://toolguyd.com/delta-scroll-saw-40-690-sale/ Lets say your cutting wing ribs and you have one pattern rib cut and its stacked on 10 or so blanks that you want to match your pattern and cut out . It would be a pain in your rear to hold the rib blanks in your hand and try and cut them with the one above . joe http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...%22+scroll+saw
Joe

Thanks for your input.
This Dremel Moto Saw does fit in a small table!
I agree using it hand held would be a joke.
The old coping saw would be the way to go>

Regards
Jimmy

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MS20_2in1_lg%20r117564v15.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	177450  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft