Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-11-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
Eddy

Friends: (1)
Default LiPo's stored in heat ?

I can't believe that storing LiPo's in high Temps does them any good, and may deteriorate them rapidly. I do store them in safe bags and containers, and can do it either on the back porch which can reach 110 F in the shade, or bring them indoors where it is air conditioned. Which would you do ?

Eddy

I come in peace.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:54 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Heat will cause the LiPos to age more rapidly.

Stored full charged in a hot car in Texas in the summer you are asking for your car to burn. New packs can puff in under 1 hour easily.

Best is to keep them in a refrigerator (appx 35 F to 38 F) at 3.7 to 3.8 v/cell.
There's not a huge difference in overall battery life keeping them at up to 80 F if stored at 3.7 v/cell vs storing in a fridge. Voltage is much more important than temperature in that range.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Eddy

Thanks, and yes, I should have mentioned that they would be at the proper "Stored" voltage, 3.7 to 3.8 v/cell. I have been using that Discharger that Nigel recommended, and it sets them there very accurately.

http://www.myrcmart.com/product_info...oducts_id=4767

Eddy

I come in peace.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

LiPos are strange things... they deliver max current between 120 and 130 F... but that temperature is damaging to the packs.

My most severe service packs are appx 110 F on removal from the aircraft. I get in excessof 300 charge cycles over 3 years from those.
Stored in the fridge at where the LVC shuts off (3.2 v/cell under load, 3.7v/cell after 10 min rest) Appx 70% of rated capacity used per flight. I charge em just before or the night before flying.

I actually discharge my packs more in my lower demand planes and need to charge for storage.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I never store in a fridge ... in fact they sit in their box behind my desk at home.

As another says - voltage level is more critical than temperature ... BUT if you are suffering too high a temperature - then of course this is not good news.
In summer when temps are in the high 20's ... 30's (Centigrade of course !) - then I have a small cooler bag with ally foil lining I use to carry my Lipo's in for session. It's real purpose is to carry a 6 pack of beer !! so is a perfect size for a flight session. It even serves in winter when temps are -10 and lower ...
The bag I make sure is in house and settles to domestic acceptable temp. Then I load it with my lipos and close it up. On field - I only open to extract a lipo and quickly close it up.
After use the lipo is then put aside until finish of session and then all put in bag. At home I cell check and then balance storage discharge them.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Living in the Arizona desert, temps in the garage can easily reach 125+ during the summer. I used to store my lipos in the garage, but now I have a mini fridge and store them at 40F and 30% of charge. Now that I'm getting into 6S setups, I want my lipo investment to last me more than a single flying season.

Pat Gagnon
Old 06-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
Flysohigh
electrified

I store my lipos in my house at 3.7v per cell after my flights they are always right about storage voltage. Never had any intention of putting them in colder temps and i never stored them in hot temps either. Just make sure you dont over discharge or over charge them above 4.20 or keep them fully charged over 2 hours... follow these rules and you will get hundreds of charges and No puffing. Make sure depending on what application its for you have a good enough "C rating..

To Berlin and back
Old 06-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I like to think I treat my lipos how I want to be treated .... not hot, not cold, bit of respect and hopefully get best.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

According to the battery university web site colder is always better, but providing you have the batteries at storage voltage then any gains by chilling the battery below normal room temperature (25 deg C) are small.
What really does damage though (as well as storing fully charged) is if the batteries are stored in hot conditions. If you live somewhere where ambient temperatures are going to get well above 25c then you would be better keeping your batteries in a fridge or an air conditioned room.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I like to think I treat my lipos how I want to be treated .... not hot, not cold, bit of respect and hopefully get best.

Nigel
I was trying to inject a bit of humour !!

Sorry

Nigel

Old 06-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #11
Romans5.8

Friends: (0)

I keep mine in a storage bag in my basement. The basement is several degrees cooler than the rest of the house; and is unfinished. So it's just a big cold concrete space. Has the additional advantage of the insanely unlikely situation of the LiPos catching fire in storage and burning through the bag, they'll do exactly nothing, but maybe leave a black stain on the concrete. They are on a wire metal shelf.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:14 AM   #12
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
LiPos are strange things... they deliver max current between 120 and 130 F... but that temperature is damaging to the packs.

My most severe service packs are appx 110 F on removal from the aircraft. I get in excessof 300 charge cycles over 3 years from those.
Stored in the fridge at where the LVC shuts off (3.2 v/cell under load, 3.7v/cell after 10 min rest) Appx 70% of rated capacity used per flight. I charge em just before or the night before flying.

I actually discharge my packs more in my lower demand planes and need to charge for storage.
The reason why they are best kept cold and why they deliver the best power at damagingly high temp is because they are essentially a chemical reaction being harnessed, and the reaction rate is related to the temp, so keeping it cold makes it go slower, and heating it up makes it faster. It is not quite like that but you get the idea

"Better than you since 1852"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers