Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
propnut48

Club: Never joined one as of yet
Send a message via Skype™ to propnut48
Friends: (2)
Default FAA wants to ban all model flight not just FPV , I think

Don't know if many follow Flite test but this is kinda disturbing as it infringes on my pursuit of life , liberty and pursuit of happiness.
see link below and let us know what you'all think.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYs815t4knQ
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I think they are over reacting if they say the FAA wants to ban all model flight. I don't see any evidence of that. The irresponsible actions of a number of people is catching up with them and will have broad ramifications.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

FAA wants model aviation to operate essentially within the restrictions that technology limited the hobby to until about 10 years ago.

Because that level of technology made it virtually impossible to do the STUPID STUFF that has been going on recently.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Yeah, I don't see model aviation being shut down entirely. The sky is not falling.

But look for more government in our hobby very soon.

Pat Gagnon
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
propnut48

I can kinda see the restrictions on FPV to a point as it could be used to peep in on unsuspecting people. It should be regulated to a sanctioned field or a great open space where there won't be and spying going on. Flying over a schools,campus',businesses or residential homes should be off limits as it could be construed as invasion of privacy. I wouldn't want another business spying on what I do and steal my proprietary technology. I've spend 10's of 1000's of $ to build my business.
As far as the sport as a whole its been around as long as the Wright bros and will be around for a long time still.
They have already banned model flying at state parks and campgrounds from what I've heard.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
propnut48

If they want to restrict something, do it to skateboards as I've had my truck dented and scratched and have seen what they do to walls and railings around my house. The railing are all scratched and several people have been hurt , both the skaters and passer-byes.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Turner
Super Contributor

I see a contradiction there, propnut.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
propnut48

whats that?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Turner
Super Contributor

Post #5 and post #6.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by propnut48 View Post
I can kinda see the restrictions on FPV to a point as it could be used to peep in on unsuspecting people. It should be regulated to a sanctioned field or a great open space where there won't be and spying going on. Flying over a schools,campus',businesses or residential homes should be off limits as it could be construed as invasion of privacy. I wouldn't want another business spying on what I do and steal my proprietary technology. I've spend 10's of 1000's of $ to build my business.
As far as the sport as a whole its been around as long as the Wright bros and will be around for a long time still.
They have already banned model flying at state parks and campgrounds from what I've heard.

FAA doesn't care about the privacy issue. Not their area of responsibility at all.

They care about the FPV guys flying in a manner that is a potential danger to airplanes with people in them.

As far as the parks restricting flying models... that's been going on for over 40 years. The original reason was noise.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #11
propnut48

I can see gas models in a park but not the E power ones. my micros are very quiet.

These could be used for corporate spying as some of the gov. agency's have been testing ultra-micro drones as small as a dragonfly and cockroaches.

Don't see why they would be too worried if they are flown in a neighborhood park or out in the boonies where there may be no one for miles other then if it crashed and started a fire if the Li-Po batt. was badly damaged.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #12
propnut48

Off subject a bit , but does anyone know how to turn off the email notices I get letting me know that something is posted on a topic i'm into?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Off subject a bit , but does anyone know how to turn off the email notices I get letting me know that something is posted on a topic I'm into?

That is in your subscription settings. I forgot how to get there.... but try clicking your own name in your post above as a start.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Off subject a bit , but does anyone know how to turn off the email notices I get letting me know that something is posted on a topic i'm into?
Go to the top right and you will see the thread tool tab look at the drop down in it and click unsubscribe.

Thread Tools Show Printable Version Email this Page Unsubscribe from this Thread Stick the thread to the top Add a Poll to this Thread
Old 07-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #15
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
Go to the top right and you will see the thread tool tab look at the drop down in it and click unsubscribe.

There is a way to be subscribed but NOT get e-mail notices.

Unsubscribe is not it.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #16
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
There is a way to be subscribed but NOT get e-mail notices.

Unsubscribe is not it.
My Wattflyer

Edit options

Email options for thread subscriptions are there.....
Old 07-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #17
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Note... it will only apply to NEW subscriptions after the change is made... so you'll have to un-subscribe or get into your subscription list to change the option for each old thread subscription.

I still get an e-mail occasionally from a reply being made to threads more than 2 years old.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

And not a big deal just to click "delete" in the email box.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

It is true that the FAA's position affects all of RC equally. It is true that it opens us to obedience of regulations that we have no knowledge of and which the FAA could attempt to capriciously use against us.

For instance, a regulation requiring a plane to fly no closer than 500' from any person could be directly applied to a model being flown safely with the result being that the model could not even be flown, as the LOS operator would be within 500' at takeoff. The FAA has made it clear that they feel they have the right to enforce these regulations against model flyers.

However, claiming the right to capriciously apply the law is not the same as a likelihood it is going to take place. And it is miles from saying that their goal is to destroy all model aviation and turn us all into pirates.

I think all they are doing is knee-jerk reaction to the trends in the Pirker case. I believe there is very little thought being taken in their positions other than an "As of now, I am in control here, in the White House" meant to bluff those inclined to do whatever they consider bad. Like Alexander Haig after the attempted assassination of President Reagan, their concern is that nobody thinks that means it is the law of the jungle out there and the renegades therefore are free to do anything they so desire.

The FAA is saying "Not so fast, pardner." Like Clint Eastwood they're pointing a gun at you, not knowing whether its loaded or not and asking if you feel lucky today.

When the smoke clears the politicians, court system and the NTSB will do whatever they do. It won't have anything to do with justice, just with whoever steps up and takes a swing at the issue. It's not the law of the jungle in the air but it is in the legal arena.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Nowhere in their video do the Flite Test's Joshes say or imply in any way that the FAA seeks to eliminate RC as a hobby. The title of this thread is grossly inappropriate in a way that suggests purposeful trolling.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
...I believe there is very little thought being taken in their positions other than an "As of now, I am in control here, in the White House" meant to bluff those inclined to do whatever they consider bad...
Oh, come on. Some of you really are getting carried away. And the White House, seriously, I doubt they are any more than mildly aware of the issue, if at all.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #22
propnut48

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Nowhere in their video do the Flite Test's Joshes say or imply in any way that the FAA seeks to eliminate RC as a hobby. The title of this thread is grossly inappropriate in a way that suggests purposeful trolling.
First off, I DID NOT do this post for the purpose of "PURPOSEFUL TROLLING". I have been in the sport for 45 yrs and try to be responsible as possible. I resent you saying that as I have not only heard it but have seen it first hand. I and others have been kicked out of several parks, campgrounds, beaches and side streets where NO ONE is within 1500+ ft from us. I do not fly Larger planes around houses and population. In the park I only fly micros and control line planes. Control line I've never had a problem but the guys with the tri/quad copters always have issues with Passer-bys. It is getting harder and harder to find quality open fields and parks. Maybe I may have misunderstand him so I'll watch it again just for you to see exactly what he said. If that is the case and that's what you believe then I will discontinue my time on Wattflyer.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #23
propnut48

Look at .36 to 1.35 sec.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Look at .36 to 1.35 sec.

Nope. I have to stand my ground. There is no mention whatever of the elimination of the RC hobby. It's not a concept that you can honestly attach to the content of the video in the time frame you specify.

They're talking about who will be in charge of the rules only. They are not talking about any aim or plan to eliminate model aviation. However the title of the thread says you think "FAA wants to ban all model flight not just FPV" That sentence does not follow from the evidence provided. There isn't even a connection there.

Which sentences say that the FAA wants to eliminate RC? Please quote the relevant lines.

My take: Generally, government agencies tend to attempt to widen their domains. Adding domain increases the number of employees in the regulatory agency and that is part of how they measure prestige: size of their domain, number of employees, budget and how autonomous their exercise of power is. Eliminating RC would actually diminish their domain, lowering their prestige. Expanding their base of regulation to include RC would accomplish all of the above goals of bureaucracies. But that expansion demands that the RC hobby continues to exist.

Propnut, please don't take my position as some kind of "get out of town" statement. I apologize if you took it that way and certainly didn't mean to attack you, just talk about how sometimes what people say is not what we hear. We always want to fill in the blanks and when we do we do it with our own ideas, sometimes assigning ownership of those ideas to someone who didn't say any such thing. It's not a capital crime.

@turner: I was making a historical analogy to Alexander Haig's press conference announcement after the attempted assassination of President Reagan. The Soviets had mobilized their troops on the border of Eastern and Western Europe and had activated their mobile command center on a railway, which was only used during active operations like the invasion of Czechoslovakia and Romania. President Reagan was incapacitated and Vice President Bush was on a plane somewhere. Haig knew that unless a strong statement was made by someone the Soviets feared there would momentarily be war. Press Secretary Larry Speakes was in the press room stumbling all over the place saying "I don't know" to all the question of who was running the ship until the Vice President arrived. Haig knew this was signalling Breznev to make his move.

Haig called the press room telling Speakes to step away from the microphone, walked over, took the microphone and made his famous/infamous statement "Constitutionally, gentlemen, you have the President, the Vice President, and the Secretary of State, in that order, and should the President decide he wants to transfer the helm to the Vice President, he will do so. … As of now, I am in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the Vice President and in close touch with him. If something came up, I would check with him, of course.” The Soviets knew that Haig knew that they had ordered an assassination attempt against him when he was Allied Commander of Europe and feared the retaliation that would happen with Haig controlling the government. Brezhnev backed down.

Then political enemies, aided by White House rivals, surgically isolated Haig's "I am in control...." and successfully portrayed the man who had prevented many thousands of casualties in a senseless war as a power hungry megalomaniac. No good deed goes unpunished. Note that Haig carefully explained the order of succession and for purely political gain his attackers essentially lied about what he had said.

What Haig did was telegraph an unbeatable hand to his opponent in a deadly poker game when all around him were folding their cards. The FAA is doing that today, telegraphing (bluffing if you don't believe them lol) that they have an unbeatable hand and are solidly in charge of the situation.

What I said had nothing to do with whatever you were implying.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
propnut48

My time on this post is done. I will not Reply to it any more as I don't seem to have all the knowledge others have. See YA

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
faa , flite test