Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Humor
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Humor Have some funny jokes or stories? All is fair game except political, religious or too explicit.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 18,636
View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (313)
Talking Triangle UFO Blimp

Hmmmmm, I think it would be fun to build a very large black Triangle foam blimp, by useing thin foam top and bottom, and fill it with big Balloons filled with helium, and have 3 white lights on the bottom, one red light in the middle and flashing lights on the side, and power it with 2 e motors with big props, and fly it over my city LOL


I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
CHELLIE is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 952
Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (5)
Default

I was thinking about building a "conventional" blimp last week. For a class demo I was filling latex balloons with hydrogen gas and blowing them up (BOOM - not inflating). Got me to thinking, it would be pretty easy to build a nice looking Zepplin or Goodyear blimp.

The shennanigans that you are describing would probably be better done with a multi-rotor. Gack! Sorry, saying that made me hack up a hairball. Multi-rotors are flying abominations without style or grace.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
earthsciteach is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
TLyttle
Super Contributor
 
TLyttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Keremeos BC Canada
Posts: 1,025
Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Decades ago, we used to tape dry cleaning bags together, used coat hangar wire to form a loop and X on the bottom, fill an aluminum pieplate with birthday candles. Climb up onto the roof, wait for the furnace to cycle and use the heat to inflate the bag. Light the candles and slide the plate onto the tray, and let go. The initial heat from the furnace would start the flight, and the candles would maintain it.

We had to quit when the airport authorities came around and told us that we were interferiing with air traffic into the main runway. Fun while it lasted...
TLyttle is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 952
Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (5)
Default

That is great! Last spring I had my classes make solar balloons from really thin black garbage bags. Most weren't sealed well enough to do much more than self-inflate. One of the balloons inflated and was pretty much neutrally buoyant so I released it. The light wind took it across the soccer field about 8 feet off the ground for about 30 yards. Then, it started going up... We watched it float off into the distance for about 15 minutes, right through the airspace of Harrisburg International Airport and Capitol City Airport near Harrisburg, PA. The balloon was about 6'x6'x6'. I have no doubt it registered on the radar!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
earthsciteach is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
hiflier
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Hello CHELLIE,

I'm new here today and you just wouldn't believe how I ended up here. I've been doing some serious research into the Black Triangle phenom and the thought crossed my mind to experiment with a propulsion idea that's been on my mind. in an extremely ridiculous and circuitous route I found myself reading your post. It was like reading my own thoughts LOL. I have questions.
hiflier is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 18,636
View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (313)
Default

Originally Posted by hiflier View Post
Hello CHELLIE,

I'm new here today and you just wouldn't believe how I ended up here. I've been doing some serious research into the Black Triangle phenom and the thought crossed my mind to experiment with a propulsion idea that's been on my mind. in an extremely ridiculous and circuitous route I found myself reading your post. It was like reading my own thoughts LOL. I have questions.
Hi Flier Great Minds think alike I was thinking about makeing a big blimp and powering it with E Motors, and having some elevons behind the props and motor at the rear to steer and raise and lower the blimp with, the blimp would be slightly heavier than neutral boyance it would be like a flying delta plane, it was just a thought for now Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
CHELLIE is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
hiflier
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Hello ChELLIE,

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Flier Great Minds think alike I was thinking about makeing a big blimp and powering it with E Motors, and having some elevons behind the props and motor at the rear to steer and raise and lower the blimp with, the blimp would be slightly heavier than neutral boyance it would be like a flying delta plane, it was just a thought for now Take care and have fun, Chellie
Two things. First of all I thank you for responding. Second, this is the most incredible Forum for RC folks I've ever seen! If you have the time and interest I would like to lay out the idea with info supporting the concept. I have to say I think as a project is would be somewhat innovative and could be a seller. That's not the reason I'm bringing it up though.

I really wanted someone to bounce the idea off of to see if it's even feasible. My reasons are far reaching WRT my research but at the same time the propulsion proposal, while somewhat complicated in it's construct is really quite simple in it's principal. I don't wish to take much of your time at all unless you can spare some for the discussion.

This may not even be the proper board to bring it up as it's really not all THAT humorous.
hiflier is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 18,636
View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (313)
Default

Originally Posted by hiflier View Post
Hello ChELLIE,



Two things. First of all I thank you for responding. Second, this is the most incredible Forum for RC folks I've ever seen! If you have the time and interest I would like to lay out the idea with info supporting the concept. I have to say I think as a project is would be somewhat innovative and could be a seller. That's not the reason I'm bringing it up though.

I really wanted someone to bounce the idea off of to see if it's even feasible. My reasons are far reaching WRT my research but at the same time the propulsion proposal, while somewhat complicated in it's construct is really quite simple in it's principal. I don't wish to take much of your time at all unless you can spare some for the discussion.

This may not even be the proper board to bring it up as it's really not all THAT humorous.

Bring it on Make a Thread under Kit and scratch built aircraft unless your going to try to Spin Mercury in a Metal Container to oppose the Earths Magnetic field to over come Gravity LOL, Lots of Nerds, Geeks and Egg Heads here like ourselfs Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://jimnicholsufo.net/?page_id=600

“Magnetic Field Disruptor”, [I.E. anti-gravity] created by spinning mercury plasma at 50,000 rpms. Pressurized to 250,000 psi. This reduces the craft’s gravitational mass by 89%. Multi-mode impulse rockets at each corner of the delta configuration supply the remaining 11% propulsion.”

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
CHELLIE is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #9
hiflier
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Hello Chellie and All,

Been a while but I think I going to build this Black Triangle....."THING". The propulsion idea I've been turning over is based on a real-world proto-type from AVRO company in Canada. They engineered it in the late50's/early 60's. Some of you may remember it? That proto-type is the idea behind the propulsion for my craft and the thrust will then be internally ducted to ports aft so that there will be no visible props and to keep the vehicle as quiet as I can manage.

My plan is to "bolt" in a CX2's contra-rotating 5-in-1 moter and frame and then figure hw to use the linkages to open and close ports on either side of the front cockpit for steering the nose. More later but here's a photo of the Avrocar to illustrate the proposed power for flight. Just so you remember, this will be an LTA design so the CX2's rotor will only be used for maneuvering and NOT for lift. I will be picking your brains on this if I may and may wish to go the PM route on some things if that's OK with you.

This is my first ever attempt at a build of anything:

hiflier is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:21 AM   #10
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,188
Thanked 217 Times in 208 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Model blimps and outdoors generally don't get along well. You have to get VERY large before you can carry enough power to deal with even the mildest breeze.

You could go hybrid between blimp and a multi-rotor in order to keep size reasonable and get the effect you want.
fhhuber is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #11
hiflier
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Hello fhhuber,

Thanks and you're right. This will not be for outside as I don't envision much in the way of speed. The sides and back for one thing will not be that aerodyamic so the yeah, it's an indoor "pet". I've been doing the weight calcs and think I can make a planform of around 15 oz. give or take including motors and ducting. Max LTA lift should be close to that or a bit less. I'm actually AT sea level so I'm figuring on those figures and do think that some motor lift will be required but that would be better than gaining undesired altitude everytime I want it to actually GO anywhere other than up LOL.

I've also considered complete internal ducting with the rotor inside a horizontal tube.
hiflier is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 18,636
View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (313)
Default

Originally Posted by hiflier View Post
Hello Chellie and All,

Been a while but I think I going to build this Black Triangle....."THING". The propulsion idea I've been turning over is based on a real-world proto-type from AVRO company in Canada. They engineered it in the late50's/early 60's. Some of you may remember it? That proto-type is the idea behind the propulsion for my craft and the thrust will then be internally ducted to ports aft so that there will be no visible props and to keep the vehicle as quiet as I can manage.

My plan is to "bolt" in a CX2's contra-rotating 5-in-1 moter and frame and then figure hw to use the linkages to open and close ports on either side of the front cockpit for steering the nose. More later but here's a photo of the Avrocar to illustrate the proposed power for flight. Just so you remember, this will be an LTA design so the CX2's rotor will only be used for maneuvering and NOT for lift. I will be picking your brains on this if I may and may wish to go the PM route on some things if that's OK with you.

This is my first ever attempt at a build of anything:

That sounds like a fun project fhhuber is right, a multi rotor might be the best way to go on your project

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
CHELLIE is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 18,636
View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (313)
Default


http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+flying+saucer


this might give you some ideas Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
CHELLIE is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
hiflier
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Hello CHELLIE,

Believe me when I say I have done a lot of research and it's been fun actually. One of the things that strikes me the most is how many VTOL's rely on brute force to get air born- something I'm seeking to avoid altogether.

The craft I've been designing looks be about 7 ft long by 5 ft across the base. Not small. I've looked at the weights of various foamcores, along with the estimates for the installed ducting and drive(s?). I've also checked out the threads here on stripping the paper off for weight reduction. Glues, envelopes for the gas, the lift capacity of the gas itself, where to get black foamcore....well the list goes on and on.

I've never been one to not look at as many aspects as I can thing of. The original design was going to be quite a bit smaller but then I saw where doubling the size triples the lift and things changed LOL. This will be a rigid dirigible with a black delta shape so it will be a floating planform but to what degree depends on......YAY, more research.

I know the thrust value of the rotor on the Eflight CX2 small as it is and since I already have that little machine the build will be determined by it's specs. Needless to say it will not lift the craft; but then it largely won't have to do much of anything except push it along and (if I'm any good at all) turn the airship before it noses into a wall
hiflier is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Humor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UFO close call with Civ. Jet TM4197 General Electric Discussions 18 06-04-2012 07:31 PM
$100 scratch build UFO MUFON sighting HO-229 Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft 22 05-21-2011 12:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.45936 seconds with 51 queries