Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
garyp1029

Friends: (0)
Default ESC Connectors

Having read several "everything you wanted to know" articles about ESCs, and looked at many vendor ads, I have a few very basic questions which remain unanswered---Do ESCs come with connectors? The ads give no hint of what, if anything, is on the end of the wires. Do ALL come with the throttle connector (since it seems to be rather standard)? Do ALL (or ANY) come with motor connectors? If so, is there a standard bullet size? The literature simply does not answer these questions. I assume the battery wires are without connectors due to the fact that there are so many options. But . . . how about the motor wires? The throttle wire? If I order an ESC what can I expect to find on the end of the wires? Thanks. Gary
Old 07-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

About 99.9% of ESCs come with no connectors at all. Some ESCs will come with bullet connectors attached, particularly if they're sold with a motor combo. I sell a Suppo motor on my site for pusher jets, and Suppo gives me the option of ordering ESCs with or without the 3.5mm bullets soldered on. I always get them without as I do sell some ESCs without the motor.

But usually, the motor package will contain the necessary bullets to solder onto the ESC. And then the power leads are pretty much Users choice as there are so many types to choose from.

As far as the 3-wire throttle connector, all ESCs have that.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by garyp1029 View Post
Having read several "everything you wanted to know" articles about ESCs, and looked at many vendor ads, I have a few very basic questions which remain unanswered---Do ESCs come with connectors? The ads give no hint of what, if anything, is on the end of the wires. Do ALL come with the throttle connector (since it seems to be rather standard)? Do ALL (or ANY) come with motor connectors? If so, is there a standard bullet size? The literature simply does not answer these questions. I assume the battery wires are without connectors due to the fact that there are so many options. But . . . how about the motor wires? The throttle wire? If I order an ESC what can I expect to find on the end of the wires? Thanks. Gary
IMHO, it all depends on who the ESC supplier is. Most if not all ESC's come with the standard servo type connector for throttle control. If your ESC has a BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) that same ESC can power your receiver and servos.

As for the ESC DC input, most people have their own favorite connector, so a lot of ESC mfg's don't provide one. Same for the ESC to the motor connector.

The ESC/Battery connector I've standardized on is the Anderson Power Pole (APP) connectors. If you're running over 30 Amps or so, take a look at this thread about the "Original" APP connectors, and the APP connectors now available. Those APP connectors are connected to the ESC wire with a $39 crimping tool. No soldering. Once you've done one or two of them, crimping a terminal only takes a few seconds. I'm running the Allied Electronics APP connectors at 75 Amps with zero problems.

Anderson Power Poles???
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539

If you are new to electric power, or to flying models in general, be sure to post your questions in Wattflyer. There are literally thousands of people who were new to electric stuff at one time or another, and are ready to help the new Electric flyers.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

As noted above most come with no connectors (other than the servo connector to plug into receiver).
The exception would be if you purchased an ESC for a ready-to-fly type model from the original manufacturer. For example you had an eFlite Apprentice and you purchased a direct replacement ESC from eFlight, that would usually come with suitable connectors to fit the Apprentice.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Porcia83

Friends: (1)

LOVE the Suppo line of stuff. Almost bullet proof, never had an esc or motor fail yet, and I can be hard on stuff.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
carpetbagger

Friends: (0)

Change vendors if vendor does not supply info. Heads Up RC has good details on their products.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions