Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
dereckbc

Friends: (3)
Default Joystick

Sure this has been asked before, but I am lazy tonight. I have an excellent 3-axis Joystick I use on my home PC, the kind where rudder is on the stick and you twist the stick for yaw. It is real natural for me to operate, but I have no idea if it can be interfaced to a Spectrum TX or if there is a DSM/2 unit on the market with a 3-axis joystick. Perhaps interfaced via buddy box port on a Spectrum.

Anyone know how or done this before? Something on the market?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

We call this; Single stick control

It used to be relatively common in the 70's and 80's then it seemed to start fading out.
My dad had single stick only while I had both, and in fact still have them. You can find SS RC equipment on Ebay almost all the time.

I have been considering modifying a current system to use my joysticks. Both of our SS systems had contest level ball bearing units. It would not be hard to do.

The stick for a home PC game might not have the precision needed to fly, but I haven't seen the inside of one.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

It CAN be done... it means ensuring the pots in the stick are of the correct value and doing some rewiring. Radio South could do it but it would run somewhere near $100 if its "easy"
Old 08-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I've been playing with this system to experiment with. I took one of the joysticks where you twist it for rudder. I bought one of the cheap 25 dollar trans from HK and took the pots out of it and hooked them the joystick using extensions with servo type connectors. The throttle is hooked to the throttle controller on the joystick base. Works very well but you have to learn to fly all over again. The use of the joystick on the computer helped some. Point is, your educated thumbs are of no use After flying with on a HK Pitts Special with some dihedral in it to help with the stability while I learn to use it. Am in the middle of converting a HK orange trans to use with it, as it has all the programming I need, servo endpoints, expo, etc.

Gord.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joytrans 2 003.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	176894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joytrans 2 004.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	176895  

Gord.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Interesting approach

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
dereckbc

Friends: (3)

Well I did some research and came across one idea and seen a short video of it in action. What I have learned is to find an Microsoft Sidewinder or 3D joystick because they use optical sensors rather than potentiometers for elevator, ailerons, and rudder. Throttle still uses potiometers. Optical is suppose to eliminate centering and movement/travel errors. Just happen to have one left over.

Anyway there is suppose to be converter or interface black box to use through a Buddy Port on the Radio. Gotta be simple pulse code or something. Have not found that part out yet.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions