Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)
Default My Son is leaving for college, where do all the years go?

It seems like only yesterday we were bringing this little fella home from the hospital. We leave to take him to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg tomorrow where he will enter the Corp of Cadets there and study Physics with the ambition of becoming a pilot for the USAF.

I love all my kids dearly but I have always had a special bond with Mason. When I decided to try my hand at flying model airplanes he had just turned 8. I ordered a plane from Raidentech and promptly flew it right into a power line. We were both hooked though and we have been through some great times, and not so great times together in this hobby. We have tore up our fair share, and then some, of planes and assorted equipment but through it all we have had a blast.

I am sure going to miss my little buddy, my best friend, my son.

I am one proud papa for sure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mason.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	176972

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

What a fine young Man he is, I feel like I've watched him grow up every year at SEFF,, We should all have had a Dad like you Bill,
bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,035 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Yes Bill, They grow up Fast my oldest son is 38 then 36 and 34, and I have 4 grand Kids, Cherish the moments with them BTW, And we are all getting younger Thats what RC does to us it keeps us looking and feeling young

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

It's been a pleasure watching him grow up over the years. He's a great young man now! A child can be a reflection of the way they were raised and you and your wife did a fantastic job raising Mason!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 08-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Congrad's on your son's acceptance to Virginia Tech......his career path will certainly have a very sound foundation.

I too suffered "seperation" anxiety and depression when my best friend and hobby buddy took flight from our nest........especially since he moved outside of shouting distance (12 hour drive away, as the crow flies)....lol

Time moves so fast, we often negelct to "stop and smell the roses" as frequently as we should........but the comfort we gain from knowing we provided and maintain an eternal bond with our children through the experiences we enjoyed and shared with them as they grew.......is worth every tear we may shed watching them grow into lifes hardships.......it still beats changing their diapers........

AMA 928214
Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
dereckbc

Friends: (3)

Been there and gone through it twice so I know how you feel when my kids left 10 years ago. Happened to me at age 45/46 range as I had twins.

So the best is yet to come especially if you are still fairly young in your 40's or early 50's once you realize you got your house back with all that unused space with a tired look in need of a makeover or change of address. That is when you understand you have more money, you did not loose your kids, and you gained a lot of space in your home. Kids cost a lot and take up a lot of space. Time to remodel and re-purpose some areas of your home with a nice kitchen, bigger living room, and a gain hobby room, office, den, or library or two. That is what I did.

Or move to paradise to a new home of your liking. It is the second best time in your life; second to only when you left home with no worries you silly kid.

Congrats and Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Moving to paradise is our first option. Looking to make the move back to our Mountain home of East Tennessee. May be buying my father's place some spring.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #8
carpetbagger

Friends: (0)

I wish him well at Virginia Tech = good college. So is it "empty nest" time? That was a little odd at first, but then I discovered they keep coming back!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Where do the years go ??

I have two sons ... one is 31 ... other 28 ... actually it's the 28's B'day today ....

I too feel it only yesterday they 'arrived' to turn our world upside down and inside out ! But it's the price of love ... and nothing would change it for me.

Wishing very best for your Lad ... and I reckon he'll make you as proud as mine have for me !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat