Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-03-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
nova801428

Friends: (0)
Default best wing?

I have never flown a wing before but I have experience flying gws formosa and zero. what do you think is the best wing to fly?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
trey3670

check out the wing warrior line its a good tuogh full epp wing
Old 09-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #3

What? Are you trying to start a fight?

Obviously there are going to be several opinions on this. I don't think that any are "bad", but some are better than others.

I say this because I have owned several wings from several manufacturers & have enjoyed them all. However if I were to pick my favorite, it would be Unicorn (http://unicornwings.site.yahoo.net/)

It has wonderful flight characteristics. Flies slow & can fly fast & can even thermal.

Honestly, it has the longest running wing thread ever on RCGroups. There's good reason for that!

Brad
Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
trey3670

lol no not trying to start a fight notice i said it was a good tough full epp wing. didnt say it was the best! allways wanted to try a unicorn myself
Old 09-04-2005, 03:59 AM   #5
nova801428

what is a cheap plane and can fly well like the wattage hyper wing and the edge rc pocket combat wing (pcw)
Old 09-04-2005, 04:05 AM   #6

Originally Posted by trey3670
lol no not trying to start a fight notice i said it was a good tough full epp wing. didnt say it was the best! allways wanted to try a unicorn myself
trey,
My comment was actually directed towards nova. I meant that these kind of questions bring out the fans of various brands and the heated debates begin! I agree with you though, Wing Warrior products are good stuff too.

nova,
I have a PCW & you're right, it is a lot of fun. What I particularly like is that it can really withstand crashes well; probably due to it's light weight and slower speeds. Obviously flies completely differently than larger wings.

Brad
Old 09-07-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
nova801428

well then what is your favorite wing and how does it fly
Old 10-06-2005, 08:16 AM   #8
I_Love_My_ABC

The only one I've flown is the Stryker but I've seen a couple of different wings flying in the park where I fly. The Stryker is fast and stable. I also like the Pheonix EEP wing...
http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...x_400_wing.htm
...which is a great value receiver ready kit and it really hammers along. The best wing??? It's all about personal preference but for me, it's the Stryker all the way!!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 AM   #9
Slent thndr

The best EPP wings... Combat Wings definitly. And I'm not talking about the pocket ones, although those are cool too.

Here:
www.combatwings.com

At least in my opinion combat wings are the best. 100% EPP and the components are all nested in the foam.

The Force will be with you... Always
Old 10-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #10
jonnyjetprop

The problem with "best" is best at what? Speed, maneuverability, value? I have seen my share of zagis. I don't think it would be a bad choice. Our hot shot wing pilot would tell you to look at combat wings. I have a Great Plains Slinger that I have a mega 16/15/5, 3s 2100 TP gen 2 pack and an apc 7x5 prop. You can't go wrong with a plane that goes for $49 at Tower Hobbies and can be built in a couple of hours.

John

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slinger1.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	2458

Name:	slinger2.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2459
Old 10-12-2005, 02:40 AM   #11
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

For something a bit different check out the Mini Bird of Prey at EdgeRC.
I'd love to be able to fly mine more but like all wings it's a bit noisy for the place I fly. It is a blast to fly though. Very fast and agile yet slows down pretty well for landing. I only have an Astro Flight 10 turn 010 on mine. I can just imagine what it would be like with a hot Hacker etc. FUN!

Here is a shot of mine.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MiniBOP 01.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2460
Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
Slent thndr

Its true that Combat Wings dont have the advantage of low price. About $70 for the Xe2 basic kit (no electronics). But they have speed (fastest clocked at 120 MPH), duribility (nose in at 50 mph, no prob), and manuverability too (just watch the videos). If you spend all that money on brushless, why put it in a cheap plane? It doesn't make sense to me.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:35 AM   #13
nova801428

I totally agree, why put a brushless in a cheap plane, when their cheap.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:51 PM   #14
tashley

Friends: (1)

If you are looking for a fairly compact, tough as nails, inexpensive to buy and outfit, uses a Johnson 250 @ under $2.00, look at the Sylvan Aircraft Frenzee.
Super quality epp or pink foam wing cores and it flys like it's on rails.
And...they have excellent customer service unlike some others selling compact wings.

Tom
Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #15
I_Love_My_ABC

Originally Posted by Slent thndr View Post
...duribility (nose in at 50 mph, no prob...
Man, is that true??? Why don't they ake all planes out of this stuff?? Or is it because of the design?? Sounds good to me!!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 PM   #16
Slent thndr

Originally Posted by I_Love_My_ABC View Post
Man, is that true??? Why don't they make all planes out of this stuff?? Or is it because of the design?? Sounds good to me!!

Well a 50 MPH crash is pushing the limits of the system. You might end up with bent/torn vertical stabilizers if you were inverted (unless you Velcro them on like I do, in which case they pop off after every crash and you just stick them back). Most likely your battery would fly out which could be bad if it were a lipo. Crash at 50 MPH again and again and again and you might end up with a broken crystal or even a striped servo with a more violent crash, unless you bought good servos, in which case you might have a snapped elevon (balsa). The foam around the battery casing generally gives way before the rest of the plane.

But that’s if you had repeated (I mean tons) of 50 MPH crashes, of which I have only had about 5. Most planes would be unfixable if they hit the ground at 30 MPH. I have had tons of less violent crashes, and there is no damage from them whatsoever. The videos are true, you can pick them up after a 40 MPH crash into a fence and throw them again.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:11 AM   #17

Originally Posted by I_Love_My_ABC View Post
Man, is that true??? Why don't they ake all planes out of this stuff?? Or is it because of the design?? Sounds good to me!!
My favorite was brushless WOT (about 70mph) into a football goalpost. The battery ejected and it spun like a boomerang to the ground. The goalpost rang like a giant tuning fork! As I walked towards it, I was sure that it would be destroyed. No damage at all!! Just some white paint on the covering!!

I love this stuff.

Brad
Old 10-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #18
I_Love_My_ABC

Wow, thats amazing!! I had no idea the combat wings were so robust!!
Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 AM   #19
Slent thndr

WOW!!!!! But I've heared of Combat wings that have been torn apart (but still repairable) in 60 MPH crashes into telephone poles... so i guess you were lucky!

Old 10-23-2005, 05:32 AM   #20

That one that I desribed happened with a Wing Warrior E-Zipper. Perhaps the difference is that I hit the pole off center, so the wing was able to spin away, rather than having to absorb a dead-center hit.

Done some crazy dumb stuff with my Unicorn too. It's also been great.

Brad
Old 10-23-2005, 05:55 AM   #21
I_Love_My_ABC

Got any pics or even video Brad??
Old 10-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #22
Pyrock

I have a Devastator and I nosed in doing about 40-50 mph and it bounced like a nerf football. The battery ejected but that was all. I put the battery back in and tossed it up for more full contact combat. Cost about $50 and put in a Mega and it was off to the dog fights. I also have a brushless Stryker and brushless Projetti but this is WAY more durable. I think the Devastator is my new favorite. I'm sure it will log in many hours of fun.
Notice the FAT 8x4 prop and the long Mega 16/25/4. Flys awsome even with the fat chunk cut out to make room for the fat prop.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020305.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	3200
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #23
fredeich

Hi Nova,
I have an e-raider, 4 Combat Wings(2 xe-2's,2mini-xe),2 Overloards, 2 devastators, 2 Birds of Prey, 1 mini bird of prey, 1 mother ship, 1 60 inch combat wing, 2 pcw's.
The only reason I mention all these are that they are all different. The 48 inch wings are much more sedate than the smaller and more responsive shorter wings. It is a totally different flying experience.

I learned to fly on a Combat wing, XE-2. It was virtually indestructable and believe me if anybody could destroy a plane when learning to fly it was me. In fact I just recently stripped it and replaced the nose, recovered it, and am still flying the original plane.
If you were just learning to fly I would suggest the Combat wings xe-2. But you are obviously an accomplished pilot, and if you want to turn and burn with high roll rates you may want one of the smaller wings. Mini-xe, Devestator, PCW, etc.
Whatever you do get one, you'll be hooked.
Good luck and let us know what you get.
Fred
Old 11-19-2005, 01:46 PM   #24
PhilipShum

Default How to set Aileron / Elevator on Fly Wing ?

Before I am thinking of which is the Best Wing, I have some basic question to ask concerning setting up the Aileron / Elevator.

I am trying to set up my 'Electric Bee', with a 6 channel PCM Rx. The Tx is a Futaba 14MZ.

I am having problem setting it up with the Futaba 14MZ. I have chose the 'Wing' fuselage, but was not able to set it properly.

Therefore, I have chose the basic plane fuselage and resorted to an older method, i.e. program mix the Aileron and Elevator channels. This works, but I do wish to know the proper way of set up on the Futaba 14MZ.

Philip Shum
Old 11-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #25
hondo33
hondo33

Combat wings Xe2. It's not as cheap as some and requires a few hours to build. Use 3M bi axle strapping tape from home depot. I use only 2" for lipo brushless birds. I have three stryker, a slinger and nothing compares to the Xe2. I have yet to see anything in the air perform like my Xe2.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings