Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Zeetwentyeight

Club: Tulsa Gluedobbers
Friends: (0)
Default Power 25 in E-Flite Apprentice questions

Hey everyone!
I have an E-Flite Apprentice S 15E and I have an E-Flite Power 25 870Kv motor that I'd like to install in it. I was looking at a 45 amp Eflite ESC to run with the motor. Would this be a good setup? Also, what would be a good prop size be with a setup like this? Currently I am running the stock setup (15 brushless motor, 30 amp ESC, 11x8 prop with a 3300mah 25c 3S LiPo. I know NOTHING about electronics, prop matching to power setup a or anything so any help with these questions would be great! Thanks in advance!
-Scott
Old 08-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Zeetwentyeight View Post
Hey everyone!
I have an E-Flite Apprentice S 15E and I have an E-Flite Power 25 870Kv motor that I'd like to install in it. I was looking at a 45 amp Eflite ESC to run with the motor. Would this be a good setup? Also, what would be a good prop size be with a setup like this? Currently I am running the stock setup (15 brushless motor, 30 amp ESC, 11x8 prop with a 3300mah 25c 3S LiPo. I know NOTHING about electronics, prop matching to power setup a or anything so any help with these questions would be great! Thanks in advance!
-Scott
Take a look at one of those computer programs for this purpose. I use www.motocalc.com, free for 30 days, then $39.

Enter your models wingspan, wing area, weight with receiver/servos. Then select the E-Flite 25 motor, and 3300 Mah 3S LiPo battery. Select a prop range from 10-6 to 13-8.

Motocalc will spit out a whole slew of prop sizes from 10-6, 10-7, 10-8, 11-6, 11-7 and so on. First click on the 10-6 prop selection, and look at "Opinions". Move to the other prop sizes and so on.

Keep an eye on the maximum Amps and Watts predictions. Motocalc isn't exact, but will get you pretty close to the final prop selection.

I ran the numbers and found that an APC-E (Electric Prop) would be pretty close, pulling 43 Amps, 350 Watts, and turning the prop at around 7400 RPM. Rate of climb is predicted to be around 1500 Feet Per Minute.

Note that this is a foamie model with a flat bottom wing. So, do be careful about overpowering your model and a possible catastrophic failure of your wing or similar during violent acrobatics.

Since this is your first go-around with electric power, IMHO, it would be wise to purchase one of those wattmeters to measure the amps/watts actually pulled by your electric motor. These electric motors are DUMB! They will happily turn over a way to big prop, with fantastic performance. Until the magic smoke comes out of the motor/ESC/battery pack!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
suresharp

Friends: (1)

If just want to go faster keep the eflit 15 replace esc with 45 amp and new battery 2200 4s. That will make it like a new hot rod racer. Also keep same prop size or add one with a little more pitch (eg. 11X5 or 11x8). Also check throtle range (high and low). NOW HANG ON!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies