Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
kungfukoala

Friends: (0)
Default No P-40's on radar...

I am having a terrible time trying to track down a P-40. I've been flying my trainer for many months and practicing on the simulator and I want to step up to my warbird. A long time lover of the P-40 but having no luck at the bigger online hobby shops.

I am trying to find an electric foamie between 800 - 1000 mm wing span that either has, or can accept retracts.

It seems all the online shops have a P-40, but they've either been discontinued or have been "out of stock" for about 6 months now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I thought FMS still made one in the 1400mm size. I had one and ended up selling it.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I don't know that I've ever seen a P-40 in that size with retracts. But just be forewarned, those size warbirds are some of the squirrelliest planes you can find. I'm a pretty experienced flyer, and a buddy who is at a similar stage of flying as you are got a P-40 in the 800mm size and asked me to maiden it for him. I'll tell you, that thing was a challenge to fly! I was working at it all the way until the wheels were back on the ground! I don't know if the manufacturers neglect this plane or what, but I had a Phase3 P-40 years ago, and it was also a bear. That's it in the background of my avatar. Is the only plane I ever totaled.

I'd suggest for your second plane something tamer, like the ParkZone T-28 or Corsair. They fly great. More spirited than a trainer, but no nasty habits that will bite you, either.

Otherwise, you just have to be patient or watch the classifieds.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

Hobby has a 1700 mm wingspan (67") P-40, in both silver and green.
Unfortunately then are totally out of stock, and a large kit is very expensive to ship.
Might watch on Ebay for a balsa kit.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...reen_ARF_.html

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
kungfukoala

Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like if I want to go P-40 I need to get one of the bigger ones (1400mm) otherwise it might be beyond my capabilities at this point. At this point, balsa planes scare me. foam is so much easier to repair.

The F4-U is my other choice so that's good to hear. And since no one has a P-40, then maybe that's the way to go.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I don't know that I've ever seen a P-40 in that size with retracts. But just be forewarned, those size warbirds are some of the squirrelliest planes you can find. I'm a pretty experienced flyer, and a buddy who is at a similar stage of flying as you are got a P-40 in the 800mm size and asked me to maiden it for him. I'll tell you, that thing was a challenge to fly! I was working at it all the way until the wheels were back on the ground! I don't know if the manufacturers neglect this plane or what, but I had a Phase3 P-40 years ago, and it was also a bear. That's it in the background of my avatar. Is the only plane I ever totaled.

I'd suggest for your second plane something tamer, like the ParkZone T-28 or Corsair. They fly great. More spirited than a trainer, but no nasty habits that will bite you, either.

Otherwise, you just have to be patient or watch the classifieds.
I have to agree with you on this.
I've always loved the p-40 but like you said finding one that flies well is a challenge.
I also had a 800mm version as well as a fms 1400 mm version. They both flew terribly, each for its own reasons.
A little while ago I picked up the umx version and no surprise it too had issues out of the box. But after a little tinkering with the cg it ended up being a very nice little plane.

PS. The 800mm was so tail heavy that by the time you added enough weight in the nose it was almost to heavy to fly. The 1400mm one was also grossly tail heavy but could fly once balanced. It was its slow speed stall tendencies that finally did it in. It had a very sudden and unpredictable stall. So if you came in just a little to slow on landing the plane would suddenly and abruptly drop a wing..

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-p-40-war...-wingspan-pnp/

A little bigger than you want, but really, when you go to the 800mm stuff, retracts aren't common, and the only way to fit them is to use mechanical retracts, not the servoless. Mechanical are a true pain to get working.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kungfukoala View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like if I want to go P-40 I need to get one of the bigger ones (1400mm) otherwise it might be beyond my capabilities at this point. At this point, balsa planes scare me. foam is so much easier to repair.

The F4-U is my other choice so that's good to hear. And since no one has a P-40, then maybe that's the way to go.

Again, thanks.
Were always glad to share our opinions around here!

Just remember, I was referring to the ParkZone planes. Their T-28 and Corsair are well known for good flying qualities, but not all models are created equal. I don't know if it's been corrected, but the FMS 1400mm Corsair was known to ask for a too far aft cg and had retract issues. And you've heard the saying, a nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy plane flies once? Many of those Corsairs met an early demise, until word got out on the forums about the cg.

So before you get any plane, I recommend reading real people's experiences with them first, not just the 'professional'reviews from the guys who got them for free.

Wrongway, glad I'm not the only one! There must be some good P-40's out there. Maybe they are the kits or larger arfs. Just haven't heard about a good smaller one for us average folks.

I'll get off my soap box now!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
kungfukoala

After much research and thought put into this, I will take your advice (since I'm a newb) and go with my second love, the Corsair.

Fishing for some opinions, which would be best to go with, the Dynam F4 U from Hobby King - 1100mm with the works, or a US sourced Dynam 1270mm that looks about the same excluding the landing lights, external stores and receiver.

So the second one is a little more than 100mm larger, but doesnt have the lights or external stores. But it is sourced from the US, not Hong Kong.

Any input?

Hobby King Dynam F4u 1100mm

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...00mm_PNF_.html

Vaue Hobby Dynam F4 1270mm

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...m-f4u-pnp.html
Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

http://www.motionrc.com/dynam-f4u-co...-wingspan-pnp/

Has lights
Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

For Dynam,
I recommend Motion rc or Grayson Hobby.
Also check out FMS.IMHO, the quality level is a notch above Dynam.

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #12
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

A new Corsair on the market is the one from Horizon Hobby.
It has the new SAFE technology, which makes the plane very easy to learn warbird flying and can be turned off when you want to.

F4U Corsair S RTF with SAFEŽ Technology by HobbyZone (HBZ8200) 1120 mm ws, 44"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...X6mBzoMUwYeGIg

It is kind of pricey at $ 299.99 RTF or $249.99 BNF
Every thing is in the box, even the battery and charger.

You can add the servo for flaps, and rotating retracts if you wish.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
Porcia83

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by kungfukoala View Post
I am having a terrible time trying to track down a P-40. I've been flying my trainer for many months and practicing on the simulator and I want to step up to my warbird. A long time lover of the P-40 but having no luck at the bigger online hobby shops.

I am trying to find an electric foamie between 800 - 1000 mm wing span that either has, or can accept retracts.

It seems all the online shops have a P-40, but they've either been discontinued or have been "out of stock" for about 6 months now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey there OP.

Talk about timing!

I have a 800mm P-40 kit, in olive and also a 1500 mm kit in sand/olive combo, a link to what it looks like is here:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a40-tig...-eretract.html

Shoot me a PM, we can probably work something out.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
kungfukoala

Again, great information and help from all. Thank you.

DaHawk, the links for a domestic veteran run RC shop, priceless. I will be ordering from Greyson or MotionRC for sure.

Thanks all!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

The only issue with a Corsair is the 90 degree rotating retracts. If you damage them, it would be harder to find replacements, and likely more costly. That is the one reason I don't want to build one. As for the HK one you linked, Durafly scale details are amazing, although not sure if they are better detailed than FMS, as I have never had one. I had a Durafly Spitfire, which had a short life due to servo failure on the first successful flight. My first attempt I wasn't ready for the plane veering left as I was new to flight then, and then the tailwheel popped off, stopping me from combating the plane veering into a curb. This resulting in the need for a new prop, of which I couldn't find a 4 blade. I tried a 2 blade from the hobbyshop, but they suggested one that couldn't even fly the plane. This likely damaged a servo and when I finally got a good prop, the plane just crashed. To get parts, it is difficult, but one thing that I can say about the looks of the Spitfire is that there is no comparison against something from Parkzone. I would think FMS to be the same; the detail is something you can't find in anything from the more common brands, as well as the features included at a cheaper price than you'd find from Parkzone with no retracts, flaps, etc. The one issue you'll find with FMS, and even more so with Durafly, is parts support. You will likely have to get parts online. My LHS has a few FMS planes, but I doubt that they even have many spare parts. It seems if you want the looks...don't crash, don't even break a prop. Not trying to get you away from FMS or Durafly, but it is just something to be careful with, especially if you have never flown a warbird, which typically have worse stall characteristics and are easier to crash.

As Wildflyer suggested, the SAFE Corsair would be a wise choice, even if it gives up some scale details. It will likely be designed to be more stable at the sacrifice of looks, and with the SAFE technology, it will fly like a trainer until you turn off the technology. It isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than getting a larger FMS, totalling it and having to buy a new one, or a new fuse, wings, and/or stabilizers, plus what you do break, there is a lesser chance that you will need to wait 1-3 weeks to fix.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
kungfukoala

That does bring up a question - The SAFE technology does sound truly amazing, and I do agree that for a new flyer like myself it could be a life saver ($$). I've also seen these little electronic devices usually called gyro's or flight stabilizers. How are those different than the SAFE technology? I figure they do the same thing, just not as aggressive maybe? And the fact that you do not have a "Panic" button for them?

And you're saying the Parkzone aircraft are a good choice for fly-ability and access to replacement parts?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It's not quite the same. Flight stabilizers are something like the AS3X, which doesn't actually making flying easier, but reduces the effects of wind, so a smaller, lighter airframe can be flown in a condition that would typically toss it around. This sort of thing is used on the UMX line of planes, so they can fly outside, despite their size and weight. You then go to quads and helis, which use gyros. They also counter wind, but bring a quad or heli back to a stable central position after you provide a stick input. CP helis are different, and they typically don't just bring a heli back to a stable hover (they are likely going to install this in some CP helis, they already have in the Blade FP heli) The SAFE technology is a little more extreme than any of this, as it prevents you from taking the plane to a point where flight will be risked. If you, for example, climb at too steep of an angle (this is typical with warbirds), the plane will stall, and will tip a wing due to a lack of lift. Some planes stall okay, but many warbirds will go into a spin. The SAFE system will stop the plane before it stalls, and level you off. Also, if you do get into a situation, a quick button press will correct far fast that you ever could. It is similar to a quad gyro in some respects, except that it will combat your stick movements, meaning that you can still be using elevator up, but it will override you to prevent something that you may not be ready to handle. I have not looked into the SAFE stuff much, but it likely combats wind and stuff too. The main point of it, however, is to keep flight simple, tame, and allow you to fly around without having to worry about a stall during main flight, or in landing. The one issue with SAFE is over-reliance on it, such that you won't want to shut it off, and it could impede learning. As long as you willing to move past it, and use it just to get used to the plane, it is fine, but don't to another plane without ever having flown the Corsair with SAFE off.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

As for the Parkzone stuff, they will likely be easier to fly, sacrificing scale for a design that prevents some of the negative warbird characteristics. This isn't a guarantee, but is likely to be the case. I have never flown a Parkzone, or Eflite warbird. Naturally, the Parkzone stuff will have local parts availability, although even replacement parts will probably be a higher cost than FMS parts. It all depends if you want the scale look, or ease of use, even if cost is a little more. I never fixed up the Spitfire, as they wouldn't allow the wings and fuse to be shipped as one (I don't know how if they shipped the plane as one), and to fix it, costs would be the same as a new plane. Not only do hobbyshops not carry parts, Durafly uses a completely different design. I am not sure if this is the case for FMS, or Dynam, but someone else likely knows how compatible other parts are, such as spinners, motors (an example is the Durafly using a motor with a short shaft and adapter, vs a collet).
Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
It's not quite the same. Flight stabilizers are something like the AS3X, which doesn't actually making flying easier, but reduces the effects of wind, so a smaller, lighter airframe can be flown in a condition that would typically toss it around. This sort of thing is used on the UMX line of planes, so they can fly outside, despite their size and weight. You then go to quads and helis, which use gyros. They also counter wind, but bring a quad or heli back to a stable central position after you provide a stick input. CP helis are different, and they typically don't just bring a heli back to a stable hover (they are likely going to install this in some CP helis, they already have in the Blade FP heli) The SAFE technology is a little more extreme than any of this, as it prevents you from taking the plane to a point where flight will be risked. If you, for example, climb at too steep of an angle (this is typical with warbirds), the plane will stall, and will tip a wing due to a lack of lift. Some planes stall okay, but many warbirds will go into a spin. The SAFE system will stop the plane before it stalls, and level you off. Also, if you do get into a situation, a quick button press will correct far fast that you ever could. It is similar to a quad gyro in some respects, except that it will combat your stick movements, meaning that you can still be using elevator up, but it will override you to prevent something that you may not be ready to handle. I have not looked into the SAFE stuff much, but it likely combats wind and stuff too. The main point of it, however, is to keep flight simple, tame, and allow you to fly around without having to worry about a stall during main flight, or in landing. The one issue with SAFE is over-reliance on it, such that you won't want to shut it off, and it could impede learning. As long as you willing to move past it, and use it just to get used to the plane, it is fine, but don't to another plane without ever having flown the Corsair with SAFE off.
I believe there's a little confusion in the definition of the SAFE vs. AS3X comparison here........

SAFE incorporates the AS3X technology as part of the "stabilization" aspect.....SAFE generally is the ability to activate 3 different modes of flight (beginner...pitch and role are limited, intermediate...pitch and role are expanded, experienced...pitch and role are free band)......the AS3X is still active to provided fortake-off, landing throttle based climb and descent actions.

SAFE can be deactivated, where as the AS3X can only be adjusted to ones taste or skill preference.

One can purchase a craft with the AS3X or with SAFE.....it depends on the reciever which is provided.......

Here's a few links that explain it better:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Safe/

http://www.e-fliterc.com/airplanes/as3x/

AMA 928214
Old 09-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I wasn't aware that SAFE had As3x a part of it, I haven't looked a lot into it, other than knowing what it does. What I meant by my post is that AS3X is something that adds gyro to go against conditions such as wind, and SAFE is a function that prevents the user from putting the plane past limits that may be too difficult to deal with at a given time. SAFE can be turned off, and I was stating the importance of knowing when to turn it off, or it could impede the process of learning flight. Some may continue to stay on it, and be reluctant to fly without it. I did not mean that it has to stay on, but one may fear turning it off.

In short, AS3X, is an environmental aid, especially on smaller planes, and SAFE is a learning aid.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #21
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
I wasn't aware that SAFE had As3x a part of it, I haven't looked a lot into it, other than knowing what it does. What I meant by my post is that AS3X is something that adds gyro to go against conditions such as wind, and SAFE is a function that prevents the user from putting the plane past limits that may be too difficult to deal with at a given time. SAFE can be turned off, and I was stating the importance of knowing when to turn it off, or it could impede the process of learning flight. Some may continue to stay on it, and be reluctant to fly without it. I did not mean that it has to stay on, but one may fear turning it off.

In short, AS3X, is an environmental aid, especially on smaller planes, and SAFE is a learning aid.
That's why I provided the product links.........to help those who only have an "idea or opinion" on the technology, to better understand what it actually is advertised to help pilots with.......

AMA 928214
Old 09-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I've experienced SAFE on an Apprentice I helped someone learn with, and it has lost some of its wow-factor for me. First, let me give a clear list of what it does.
1) AS3X: as stated previously, it corrects for any outside forces that try to upset the plane, like turbulence, hard landings, light poles, etc. (I've seen the video!)
2) SAFE: kind of like 3 stage training wheels. It limits the amount of pitch and bank the plane will reach. In beginner and intermediate modes, you can hold the right sick in the corners and it will not roll or loop or anything just turn and climb or descend. Limits yaw also.
3) panic mode: no matter what attitude the plane is in, you press a button or flip a switch (depending where you set it) and it will level itself.

So, in use, I actually found it a bit confusing setting it up for our tx's. I think for most of the time we buddy boxed, my tx was stuck in panic mode. While SAFE is great from keeping the student from going into a death spiral, in beginner mode, the turns are very mild and the turn radius was HUGE. Even though we were at a basically unlimited size field, we found he was holding full aileron combined with full rudder to get it turned almost in a reasonable distance. So the beginner really had to think way ahead of the plane, planning turns to prevent the plane going places you don't want it to. A good thing to learn, but really thrust upon the student if they aren't prepared for it. Intermediate level was better, but still, holding the sticks in the corners. I stressed for him to not get used to that with the controls as that's NOT what is like without SAFE. In advanced mode, SAFE doesn't limit pitch and bank, so it's like flying a regular plane, except as always, there is the AS3X stabilization and Panic Mode is still available.

So this friend of mine used to race rc boats, and used a flight sim for a while before getting the Apprentice S, and now with I think less than 10 flights, finds it so boring to fly he's thinking of selling it, since he also has, and had successfully flown his ParkZone T-28. I've been flying 7 years I think, and I still enjoy taking my original non-SAFE Apprentice out for touch and go practice in gusty winds. Is SAFE/AS3X the difference? He's going to try my non-SAFE Apprentice when he gets the chance to see what he thinks.

So, having said all that, if this is your 2nd plane and you've mastered your first, unless you really want that panic mode, my opinion is don't bother with SAFE. You can now get AS3X rx's or other gyros that do the same thing pretty much if you really want that. Decisions, decisions!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #23
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

As for Parkzone....yep, you pay a little more for the service and quality aspects. But you get "as advertised" and a reliable product line.

"As for the Parkzone stuff, they will likely be easier to fly, sacrificing scale for a design that prevents some of the negative warbird characteristics. This isn't a guarantee, but is likely to be the case. I have never flown a Parkzone, or Eflite warbird."

I'm curious about the opinion "sacrificing scale for design" aspect.......

Scale, as in appearance, detail or flight characteristics, actual size to full size ratio.......?
Design, as in physical properties, operating system or again flight characteristics.......?

I've owned and flown several Parkzone/E-Flite high-wing, bipe and low-wing warbirds. Nearly all of them 300-500 size craft, all flew (stock) true to the accepted hobby expectations for craft of that type.......some a little under powered, some a little C/G sensitive.....but all good flyers...

Only flown three of the Micro.....Pitts, Beast and UMX Corsiar......All a little twitchy even with SAFE/AS3X.....not very "scale" flight characteristic, but all very durable, quick and lot's of fun to fly.

AMA 928214
Old 09-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #24
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I've compared the looks of FMS, parkzone and others hanging at my LHS. In short, parkzone look cheaper next to an FMS plane. First of all they lack things that's should be included like retracts. For the money, retracts should be always included. The very dimensions are very far off I feel. To put it simply, parkzone looks like a toy, FMS looks like a small warbird. This may be a bit exaggerated, but the design is clearly changed to benefit flight performance, including two blade props much smaller than a scale prop should be. I certainly don't hate parkzone, eflite, etc, I have had a few of the products, but parkzone clearly gives up true scale appearance (likely scale flight too, as a real warbird has poor characteristics) to give a user a more worry free platform. Is this a bad thing? It depends on who you are. If you are a newer pilot, or completely new to warbird, you'll be better off with having a plane that looks as good as FMS in the distance but is less likely to stall poorly and such. If you want a plane that looks very scale and looks real on a low pass, you'll be going into something that much more likely is trickier to fly. If I were to do it again, id have bought the parkzone spitfire rather than the durafly, even though it is missing important features, and less important ones like scale dimensions and appearance. In my endeavors currently, I would not touch parkzone except for the micro warbirds.

I find the Pitts the most scale of the Micros, being a tad slower and not as twitchy. The smaller you get, the harder to incorporate scale anything into a plane: scale design, it won't fly, scale flight...a boring flight really, as these micros would go about half the airspeed as they currently are.

For a first warbird, go for what was designed as an airframe that flies with warbird stickers, colors, etc on it, instead of a full sized airframe that was scaled and tweaked to be able to actually fly. That's how I see it anyway. If I had a two blade prop and higher kv motor on that durafly spitfire, torque world have been less and I likely could have avoided the loss of a plane. Even with the servo failure, an easier to fly airframe may have allowed me to land in one piece, or at least with less damage.

Please take no insult to what I have said. I respect what horizon offers, enjoy flying their products, and I have no doubt the warbirds offered fly well for the most part. It is simply difficult to keep true scale without hurting good flight characteristics.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics