Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #1
garyp1029

Friends: (0)
Default P51 and Corsair--Retracts

Considering the many available P51 and Corsair models (40" to 50" wingspan) with retracts---Which company offers the most reliable and strongest retracts as stock equipment? Thanks. Gary
Old 01-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

This will vary with scale... Robart is just about the king of large scale retracts

I'm not seeing a lot of difference in the electric retracts from assorted brands for foamie models up to appx 3 lbs.

Known common issues are the struts which tend to be made of softer wire instead of actual "Music Wire' which is a spring steel. This is easily correctable by replacing with better wire you bend yourself... if you mind bending the strut back occasionally.

No other problems so far that can't be blamed on major crash damage. (Head on between a foam Dynam 1250mm P-51 and a .25 glow power coroplast model)
Old 01-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,127 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (322)

IMHO, E Flite Planes have the Better Retracts in their RTF planes, you will pay a ittle more for the E Flite planes, but your getting better Quality.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/EFL6750?...FRRcfgodnWYAMg

This Parkzone Corsair is Nice and you can add the optional E Flite retracts to it.

For Optional Retracts:
10-15 size 90-degree rotating main electric retracts (EFLG120)

http://www.rcplanet.com/ParkZone_F4U...Fc1ffgoddWsAoA

http://www.horizonhobby.com/EFLG120?...FUyVfgod96UATw

Key Features

• Robust landing gear strut and mounting bracket
  • Integrated electric motor with a micro PCB
  • Built-in over current protection
  • Aircraft Weight: 2.00 - 4.50 lb (0.90 - 2.00kg)
  • Scale appearance 90-degree retraction sweep and 90-degree rotation
  • Chrome-plated landing gear strut & bolt on axle
  • Strut & Axle Diameter .118 inch (3mm)
  • Recommended for use in the F4U-1A Corsair by ParkZone (PKZ6075 & PKZ6080)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-10-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
Ronald86

Friends: (0)

Hi chellie I have found a cheaper version and its RTF so comes complete with everything that is needed. Its the P-51D Mustang Warbird RC Plane With Retracts 5Ch RTF with Wingspan: 1200mm / 47’’ at http://www.thehobbyworx.com/rc-plane...-rc-plane.html its power comes from a high RPM 950KV electric brushless motor giving a thrilling flight of over 50mph for up to 8-12 minutes with the stock battery. I would recommend this as I have 2 of these one of mine and the other is my dads and the hobbyworx gave us a good deal. I would highly recommend them.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,127 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (322)

Originally Posted by Ronald86 View Post
Hi chellie I have found a cheaper version and its RTF so comes complete with everything that is needed. Its the P-51D Mustang Warbird RC Plane With Retracts 5Ch RTF with Wingspan: 1200mm / 47 at http://www.thehobbyworx.com/rc-plane...-rc-plane.html its power comes from a high RPM 950KV electric brushless motor giving a thrilling flight of over 50mph for up to 8-12 minutes with the stock battery. I would recommend this as I have 2 of these one of mine and the other is my dads and the hobbyworx gave us a good deal. I would highly recommend them.
Hi Ronald Hmmmm only 950KV and 50 Mph Hmmmmm Throw a 4 cell in those planes and that will get your Hands and Knees Shaking again LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I use a 4 cell 3300 to 4000 mah in the Dynam 1250mm P-51, which recommends 2000 mah 3S. Motor is 820kV.

This plane actually glides better with the heavier batteries than the OEM size.

Dynam's you can just drop in the larger battery (OK... have to carve the foam a bit to get the 4000 4S in) Don't even need to change the prop. Its still 20% under the motor and ESC current limits.

Dropping in the higher voltage battery in someone else's RTF/RX-Ready plane might require a prop change to prevent burning things up..

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics