Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
abborgogna

Friends: (1)
Default Help with DX6 park flyer from Spektrum

I was given this transmitter, when I went looking for a compatible receiver I could not find one. I went to Spektrum and there was a note saying receivers were no longer available for it. Even Hobby King didn't call out an Orange receiver that would work with it. Any help on identifying a receiver would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX6 Park Flyer.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	178792  
Old 12-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (11)

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
I was given this transmitter, when I went looking for a compatible receiver I could not find one. I went to Spektrum and there was a note saying receivers were no longer available for it. Even Hobby King didn't call out an Orange receiver that would work with it. Any help on identifying a receiver would be greatly appreciated.
You're out of luck, I think. The first version of DSM is very obsolete and not very good. You'll have a very hard time finding receivers for it. Even if you do, the first generation of DSM is said to have been riddled with problems.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a DSMX system instead!

AMA #959089
Old 12-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Pipemajor

Friends: (0)

For what it would cost you to procure a compatible receiver, you can get a brand new DSMX DX6i transmitter and AR-610 receiver for a little over $150.

Your DX6 Park Flyer has long been obsolete.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
jcstalls

Hi,
Had one years back and were fine for parkflyers in limited range.
I also did the mod to reduce battery drain

If you want to keep it then I would post wanted threads on various groups the Rx's.

If you just got to keep it and cannot find Rx's for a reasonable price, you could mod it with a DIY module of whatever, XPS, FrySky, Assan and so on.

Personally, I would give it away and move on.
Then again, I still have my ATX 7SP converted w/ CSL ATRCS computer radio from the 80's.

Enjoy,

JC
Old 12-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
abborgogna

I think you guys told me what basically already was thinking, toss it! I fly Airtronics equipment, this was a gift so no money is lost. I have another Spektrum radio a DX5 and it works fine with a Orange DRX receiver, it was also a gift. I use it in a throw away plane, I was hoping the DRX receiver would work with the DX6 but I can't even find that receiver at Hobby King. This is why I fly Airtronics you only buy from them and it all works. Again thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

To answer the OP's original question.......the Spektrum AR6000 was the only reliable RX that funtioned well for the old DX6.... specifically for parkflier planks.......no longer sold new, can be found on Amizon and EBay pretty cheap.

DSM worked well after the DSM1 was implemented......Now its all about DSM2 and DSMX.....the Old DX6 cannot be up-graded to use either DSM2 or DSMX....the ground pounders still enjoy DSM and quite a few still use the DX6/AR6000 combo.

AMA 928214
Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

Hate to say it, but perhaps now you know why that transmitter was free.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
abborgogna

Ya, I kind of figured it out early on. The crazy part is it's looks very new and unused, guess I know why. I also now know why Spectrum has such a bad rep around here.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #9
jcstalls

It was a fine TX for what is was,
Some still us it, within it's limitations.

JC
Old 12-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Ya, I kind of figured it out early on. The crazy part is it's looks very new and unused, guess I know why. I also now know why Spectrum has such a bad rep around here.
Not around here

That old transmitter worked OK for what it was intended for.

Just about every Spektrum transmitter made since works with all Spektrum receivers. Except that old parkflyer receiver.

That's not true with some of the other name brand transmitters.

DennyV
Old 12-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #11
hillbille
Super Contributor

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

It still can be useful. There are several flight simulators that have dongles that the old Tx can be used for. If nothing else the switches and such can be salvaged.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 12-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #12
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam

Curious where "around here" is exactly....and why the bad rap....?

I have visited various club events and private get together's, from time to time over the last 6 years, as far south as San Diego to north of Sacramento, CA.......Spektrum is nearly used 2 to 1 for planks and elect. heli's, over everything else out here.....for the higher end craft, the only brand that even comes close is Futaba.

I know that is not the case on either side of the Atlantic or Pacific, but if the numbers I quoted here in Calif. are any indication of the mean or average across the U.S............it would appear the crowd you hang with is in the minority and a very small market sector (based on the research I and my study group evaluated for our Master's thesis from Jan. 2014 to June 2014).....

AMA 928214
Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Curious where "around here" is exactly....and why the bad rap....?

I have visited various club events and private get together's, from time to time over the last 6 years, as far south as San Diego to north of Sacramento, CA.......Spektrum is nearly used 2 to 1 for planks and elect. heli's, over everything else out here.....for the higher end craft, the only brand that even comes close is Futaba.

I know that is not the case on either side of the Atlantic or Pacific, but if the numbers I quoted here in Calif. are any indication of the mean or average across the U.S............it would appear the crowd you hang with is in the minority and a very small market sector (based on the research I and my study group evaluated for our Master's thesis from Jan. 2014 to June 2014).....
Yeah that pretty much matches the survey in wattflyer awhile back. The Spektrum brand outsells all of the rest of the radios combined.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

Club members that have gone to those giant RC flyin's are noting that the great majority of the radios used have the Spektrum name on them.

One big advantage of the Spektrum radio system is their "Model Match" feature where your model and its receiver is locked into your transmitter and the model type you've selected. If the model selection in your transmitter doesn't match the model on the ground, your model's receiver is dead. Nothing will move. (Think reversed ailerons with the wrong model selected. That is an automatic crash on takeoff.)

That was really brought home a few years back at our club field. My transmitter showed "Show50" for its model, and I had the Show50 Showtime model ready to go. But, everything was dead. Kaput. Rebooted everything, and same exact result. Nothing. It was then I noted that the transmitter indicated Show50 model number #8, rather than Show50 model #3. I'd copied the #3 model to the transmitters #8 memory for checking a few things. As far as the transmitter was concerned, even though #3 and #8 had the same name, it was considered to be a different model, and it wasn't going to let me take off.

Changed the transmitter to Show50 #3 and all was well.

DennyV
Old 12-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (11)

I guess I didn't get the memo about Spektrum being bad, because I have at least 20 planes, ranging from tiny foamies to 120cc giant scale gassers flying on Spektrum.

AMA #959089
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Many are converting this to DSM2 using the Orange module stuff from HK - worth a look...

Mike
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #16
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

The Spektrum haters are out there, at least on some forums. For whatever reason, and I think mostly it's user error, but they blamed the equipment. Like what I've heard of the early learning curve with the mysterious brown-outs, which still goes on today.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
fhhuber
Super Contributor

More than 90% of the Spektrum issues have always been traced to user/installer error.

No one expects a 110 v AC light bulb to do well plugged into their car's 12 v DC system... but they expect the Spektrum to work well below its rated voltage operating range.

I found out about under-rated RX power supply using 72 mhz... Much better control response and no "glitches" when I supplied the RX with an adequate power source. Even the old 72 mhz systems would go nuts when your servo load pulled voltage down too far... everyone called it "interference" when more likely it was lack of a good RX power supply.

https://www.dimensionengineering.com...ervosense-plus
Should be in your tool kit.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
More than 90% of the Spektrum issues have always been traced to user/installer error.

No one expects a 110 v AC light bulb to do well plugged into their car's 12 v DC system... but they expect the Spektrum to work well below its rated voltage operating range.

I found out about under-rated RX power supply using 72 mhz... Much better control response and no "glitches" when I supplied the RX with an adequate power source. Even the old 72 mhz systems would go nuts when your servo load pulled voltage down too far... everyone called it "interference" when more likely it was lack of a good RX power supply.

https://www.dimensionengineering.com...ervosense-plus
Should be in your tool kit.
Yeah
I've measured a peak current of 14 Amps on my giant scale Big Stick with its 7 Hitec 645MG servos, just by spinning the transmitter joy sticks round and round. That 14 Amps was measured with my $$$$ Fluke 87V digital multimeter with its 1 millisecond response time on maximum currents.

Take a look at the attached JPG, of a standard JR 2000 Mah Nih five cell pack at 14 Amps. This pack dropped below the Spektrum receiver minimum operating voltage nearly instantly. Compare that to two different A123 packs. One of them is "Good", the other A123 pack has a serious problem, in that it was left at under a volt for the entire pack for several years.

It came back, and can still put out the amps. But, it won't hold a charge for more than a month.

(I've got the wrong Amp Hour rating for the 5 Cell in the attached JPG. The correct value is 2000 Mah)

Now we've got cold weather flying in parts of the USA. Forget about using Nih batteries in anything valuable in temperature below 20 degrees or so. I've checked my A123's after 24 hours in the fridge at 32F. Their output voltage still held well above 5.5 Volts DC at 14 Amps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 cell Nih vs 2 cell A123 Packs.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	178831  

DennyV
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #19
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron

I've had Futaba and now Spektrum. Love the DX9 however, mine was not free from issues. One of which cost me at least 3 good planes.

There was loose connection inside whereby if I lightly tapped the front, I could make the TX turn off and on. EEK ! All it took was a fingernail tap.

So, flying along minding my own business when suddenly: Nothing ! No sticks, nada.

Ba- boom ! Straight in.

Lost an 80mm FW A-6 Intruder, a FW Stinger 64 and a Durafly Spitfire for what I was blaming a "Bermuda Triangle" situation I suspected at our field. Someone jamming 2.4

Finally noticed what was happening when I was having trouble binding a RX. Accidently tapped the front of the DX9 and out of the corner of my saw the light come on.

Took it apart and tamped the connections around and it hasn't occurred again but I'm still going to send it back to HH for a professional look see. They're pretty good about that.

Nobody's infallible, not even Spektrum- LOL

-Hawk
Old 12-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
abborgogna

I want everybody to know I am not a Specktrum hater, in fact one of my planes flies with specktrum equipment and I was trying to find a receiver that was compatible with the transmitter I pictured. I humbly apologize for mentioning unsubstantiated rumor which I admit had no basis in fact. Many people in our club, including myself, fly quite well with spectrum equipment. In my case with an Orange receiver coupled with my transmitter. I should not have said what I said, it is bad practice to repeat an unsubstantiated rumor, and for that I am sorry. Now back to my original input, I do think it is bad practice on the part of spectrum to not provide a receiver for a transmitter they produced in the 2.4 gig frequency range, it kind of hangs people like me out to dry. But as I said it was a freebee and the only money I put out was for a fuse that was blown inside the transmitter. Probably why I got it for free in the first place. With that I am done with this thread. I wish you all nothing but the best.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I want everybody to know I am not a Specktrum hater, in fact one of my planes flies with specktrum equipment and I was trying to find a receiver that was compatible with the transmitter I pictured. I humbly apologize for mentioning unsubstantiated rumor which I admit had no basis in fact. Many people in our club, including myself, fly quite well with spectrum equipment. In my case with an Orange receiver coupled with my transmitter. I should not have said what I said, it is bad practice to repeat an unsubstantiated rumor, and for that I am sorry. Now back to my original input, I do think it is bad practice on the part of spectrum to not provide a receiver for a transmitter they produced in the 2.4 gig frequency range, it kind of hangs people like me out to dry. But as I said it was a freebee and the only money I put out was for a fuse that was blown inside the transmitter. Probably why I got it for free in the first place. With that I am done with this thread. I wish you all nothing but the best.
Naw disagree. So far 300 people have read this thread. If the info contained in this thread saves one modeler from a crash, then all is good!

DennyV
Old 12-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #22
Turner
Super Contributor

...I do think it is bad practice on the part of spectrum to not provide a receiver for a transmitter they produced in the 2.4 gig frequency range, it kind of hangs people like me out to dry...
You have to understand that the original DX6 was Spektrums first 2.4 radio. Much has changed and the system has evolved through DSM2 and now DSMX. The original DX6 had limited range. The DSM2 and DSMX are full range systems. New technology always renders old tech obsolete.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions