Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)
Default Why do you fly?

I was at the club field yesterday rather late and now alone with almost no wind, I was basking in the utter joy of flight.... The club field is in the middle of a state park with nothing around. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Mostly birds and frogs. I felt as free and relaxed as a hawk soaring. Sun going down and it was glistening off the side of the planes... This is exactly what I needed, a perfect set of relaxing flying with my two favorite planes.

This is the main reason I fly, those magic times when everything works and I feel attached to the plane. A perfect end to a stressful day.

Let me say that I also love to build, tinker and trouble shoot... Hanging out and joking with the guys at the club... All good things to like in this hobby. But quiet flights is what really hooked me.

What is the absolutely most enjoyable part of the hobby for you?

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-00042.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	177008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-00043.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	177009  

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

very easy answer..........DITTO!!!!!!!

you said it perfectly, hanging with the buds at the field, beautiful scenery, and of coarse I love flying kit builds and arfs alike. pushing the envelope to get better and seeing improvement in my flights. so much to learn from others so I don't atrophy at home on my days off from work.

I'm also so fortunate to have a supportive wife who expects every Saturday I should go flying, so I do go, and often spend 10am to 3pm like I was at the beach relaxing........by the time I get home I'm exhausted...lol

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

I Build and Fly Model Aircraft, Because it keeps me Young Looking

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

View Leadchucker's Gallery9
Club: R/C Club
Awards Showcase

60 Minute Thermal Duration  45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
.........But quiet flights is what really hooked me.

What is the absolutely most enjoyable part of the hobby for you?
Long flights with a sailplane in fine fettle, roaming the sky riding on invisible magic carpets of rising air currents, accepting the challenge of working with nature to find the next little bit of lift. Rode my first thermal 40 years ago and it never gets old, the one yesterday was as much fun as the first one.

AMA 7224 -- League of Silent Flight 1832-- Eastern Soaring League
National Free Flight Society-- Society of Antique Modelers
Old 08-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Long flights with a sailplane in fine fettle, roaming the sky riding on invisible magic carpets of rising air currents, accepting the challenge of working with nature to find the next little bit of lift. Rode my first thermal 40 years ago and it never gets old, the one yesterday was as much fun as the first one.
And HOW!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
RV Winkle

Club: Skymac

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Build and Fly Model Aircraft, Because it keeps me Young Looking
Yes it does (said with a leer)
Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Stevephoon

Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And HOW!
Yep... Just getting into electric sail planes as well. Getting 1500 ft up and hour long flights are yet another reason to fly!

And of course it keeps me away from the young lookers like Chellie. Otherwise I wouldn't have the funds to continue.

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Yep... Just getting into electric sail planes as well. Getting 1500 ft up and hour long flights are yet another reason to fly!

And of course it keeps me away from the young lookers like Chellie. Otherwise I wouldn't have the funds to continue.
Just admit it, your a Party Animal LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I got into this hobby because a guy that worked for me got a cheap toy airplane that had a crude cell phone camera in it. It would take a pic every few seconds until the memory was full and he got this really grainy, semi out of focus, wobbly picture of his house from the air and I though that is SO COOL!

I rushed right home and took my wife to bed bath and beyond where he had gotten his, well they were sold out so we raced back home and I got on the relatively new thing called the internet and promptly ordered me a plane from Raidentech. The camera was crap and never worked but when UPS delivered it and I took it out to put it together my then 8 year old son had his eyes light up as big as gold balls.

We flew the dog poo out of that thing and a bunch of others. Often not taking the next proper step in learning the right way to do this thing called flying but we had some successes and boy have we had a ball doing this thing together.

So I guess I started out flying for the wrong reasons but they turned into the right ones very quickly and the life of me and my Son will be forever changed for the good from the hobby we shared.

Now that he is off to college, freshman this year with teh Corp of Cadets at Virginia Tech, playing Trombone in the Regimental Band and studying physics I am sure I will find myself having a few lonely afternoons out at the field. But still enjoying this great hobby.

Will have his transmitter and flight batteries charged for when he gets home for the first time for sure!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

there something to be said for spending a small fortune and many hours building to get a kit plane built and watch it in the air flying.....the risk factor elevates the enjoyment of having success and the thought of having control of something so far up and away is awesome.

every time I fly around and land I always feel and think with the same joy "that was nice!!!yes!!!!!".I just don't show it so I look like it's all matter of fact to being with the buds at the field. often I whisper to the planes when carrying them back to the pits after the best flights "your a good ol bird,nice flying,glad your still here to fly again"

I just realized I may need therapy...........I'm just PLANE crazy.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
carpetbagger

Friends: (0)

I'm with Chellie - flying keeps you young. My theory is if you sit and agitate you will rust. So at age 71 (born the year of the steel penny) I work several shifts a week at the regional airport as the Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighter on duty, and I build and fly models, a relaunched hobby from my younger years. Noodling out all the new to me parameters related to electric flight also keeps my brain busy.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

I too find the hobby keeping the rust off the gray matter and dexterity....(more inclined to believe genetics play the bigger part in keeping me young).

I fly mainly because there's much more room for error and nearly unlimited space to play, less obsticles to negotiate, performance is only limited by my ability/craft design, and because, most of the time, it does not annoy or infringe on another's personal space or environment.

One can probably tell I've been the turf and water route in this hobby......flying is so much more enjoyable and lot less hassle....

AMA 928214
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Tepid Pilot

View Tepid Pilot's Gallery1

I fly because it's fun, I really am that simple.

TP
Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Sham

I've always loved flight. Now I have a little spare cash, I can indulge myself. I'm lucky to live in a very rural area and so I can fly in dozens of locations and enjoy the scenery and being in control of an aircraft. Just as I dreamed as a kid. Only difference is that I wasn't on the ground in my childhood head.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
RV Winkle

I like to actually create something and then see it in action under my control.
For the time of my flight the rest of the world and problems cease to exist, the only thing that matters is that flight
Old 08-22-2014, 05:04 AM   #16
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club

I was at my close field (local school) & some turkey vultures came by. I put my supercub in their circle they did not seem to mind. wish I videoed it. I love this stuff. also chellie your still a fox
Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
RV Winkle

Originally Posted by zoltron55 View Post
I was at my close field (local school) & some turkey vultures came by. I put my supercub in their circle they did not seem to mind. wish I videoed it. I love this stuff. also chellie your still a fox
it is fun to circle with the hawks and buzzards. When I get to the field (mixed use) I am always watch for them. They don't mind my sailplane too much but then I don't get too close.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
very easy answer..........DITTO!!!!!!!

you said it perfectly, hanging with the buds at the field, beautiful scenery, and of coarse I love flying kit builds and arfs alike. pushing the envelope to get better and seeing improvement in my flights. so much to learn from others so I don't atrophy at home on my days off from work.

I'm also so fortunate to have a supportive wife who expects every Saturday I should go flying, so I do go, and often spend 10am to 3pm like I was at the beach relaxing........by the time I get home I'm exhausted...lol
I could not have said it better myself.

I fly thermal duration gliders, electric gliders, slope gliders and hand launched gliders. I have a few electric planes and micro helis too, but mostly I fly gliders. I just find them beautiful in the air and wonderful to fly. Hook a thermal and my spirits rise with the glider.

Add in some contest flying and you have it all.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 08-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #19
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Steve, I can't say it better so...

"I was at the club field yesterday rather late and now alone with almost no wind, I was basking in the utter joy of flight.... The club field is in the middle of a state park with nothing around. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Mostly birds and frogs. I felt as free and relaxed as a hawk soaring. Sun going down and it was glistening off the side of the planes... This is exactly what I needed, a perfect set of relaxing flying with my two favorite planes.

This is the main reason I fly, those magic times when everything works and I feel attached to the plane. A perfect end to a stressful day.

Let me say that I also love to build, tinker and trouble shoot... Hanging out and joking with the guys at the club... All good things to like in this hobby. But quiet flights is what really hooked me." Steve.

Paul
Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 AM   #20
Cougdave

All of the reasons above, and also I really enjoy building planes. Flying them keeps the herd thinned down to the point where Cathie can't complain about me having too many.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #21
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
I fly because it's fun, I really am that simple.

TP
exactly why I do. I just have way too much fun doing it

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I was at the club field yesterday rather late and now alone with almost no wind, I was basking in the utter joy of flight.... The club field is in the middle of a state park with nothing around. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Mostly birds and frogs. I felt as free and relaxed as a hawk soaring. Sun going down and it was glistening off the side of the planes... This is exactly what I needed, a perfect set of relaxing flying with my two favorite planes.

Let me say that I also love to build, tinker and trouble shoot... Hanging out and joking with the guys at the club... All good things to like in this hobby. But quiet flights is what really hooked me.

Steve
Ditto here, but for a retired guy, every day is safe and non-stressful! Only problem is, my giant scale models, running near 3000 watts are not really quiet. And the 6.5 Hp Harbor Freight gasoline engine rigged up with an 80 Amp automotive alternator to charge the 12S2P A123 battery packs isn't really quiet either.

But, compared to my club members kerosene jet models, big giant scale 150 cc gassers, and similar models, my electrics are very quiet and fun to fly.

There is starting to be a bit of a pattern at our field, with glow or gasser models suddenly loosing radio communication, and going in. Methinks that the high vibration levels with those gassers may have something to do with it.

Today, one of my club members had a glow engine twin loose all radio contact, and go in way off field. Problem with that crash is the undergrowth is 6 feet tall, and that model will never be found. Another club member had a flame out with his $$$$ kerosene turbine model, resulting in an off field landing in the farmers bean field. There wasn't much left of that many thousand dollar model.

Electrics don't have vibration issues, and as long as you don't fly anywhere near low voltage cut off on your battery pack, electric power is extremely reliable, assuming the use of quality motor/esc/battery packs.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #23
Stevephoon

I had another terrific last flight of the night last Saturday. It was with my Chrysalis 2M E-Powered glider. No winds (no thermals either…) but just perfectly quiet with the plane slowly drifting around. This time I had two other club members with me, they just came and sat down and watched and we chatted while I was floating around… Just great….

One thing I have noticed since I have started regularly flying my e-glider at the club field… I am getting others excited about trying to glide. Some are just using their existing planes and going up and seeing how long they can glide, others are planning on converting old gliders to electric…

I just need to get out and fly more, and now that my daughter is back to college I just get a little more free time.

Steve

Edit: Denny, I am Electric Only and it seems that I have way less issues than the nitro/gas guys do. More like 90% less... My guess is that it's both my conservative nature, less vibration related issues, reliability of electric motors and ESCs vs nitro/gas motors... I just go to the field and fly, no constant tinkering...

Growing the fleet!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #24
Tepid Pilot

View Tepid Pilot's Gallery1

...I am Electric Only and it seems that I have way less issues than the nitro/gas guys do... ...I just go to the field and fly, no constant tinkering...
Which is exactly how I do when I'm flying my IC stuff because the tinkering is done before the engine ever even gets on a plane.

The guys who are constantly fiddling are the ones who haven't yet taken the time to "understand" their engines and then have to try to do it at the field. It's fun to torment those guys with a first flip start followed by a deadstick-free flight.

TP
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #25
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Edit: Denny, I am Electric Only and it seems that I have way less issues than the nitro/gas guys do. More like 90% less... My guess is that it's both my conservative nature, less vibration related issues, reliability of electric motors and ESCs vs nitro/gas motors... I just go to the field and fly, no constant tinkering...

Way off topic

In in another posting in wattflyer, I put together a "G" meter that measures vibration levels. That thing measures acceleration some 20,000 times a second, and stores the maximum value. That meter was used to measure vibration levels on a club members giant scale model with a big 150 cc twin up front. Vibration levels measured directly on the aileron servo pegged my meter at over 25 G's.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66525

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions