Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Club: The has beens :)
Friends: (0)
Default Micro Telemaster w/ailerons

Hello All!
I'm getting back into r/c and just bought a Micro-Telemaster kit. I would like to put ailerons on it and am wondering if anyone has done it and if they could share how? I've done quite a bit of building in the past so I think I could figure it out, but it has been a while. Plus, if someone has already figured it out, there's no need to re-invent the wheel.
Also, if anyone has any recommendations for a cheap (inexpensive) radio system as I would like to upgrade from my FM radios.
Any help is appreciated!
Old 11-09-2015, 02:07 AM   #2
Club: Open flying at the Chandler Bowl
Friends: (6)

You might want to look at www.outerzone.co.uk as they have plans for three different versions of the Telemaster, all with ailerons. One has comments that the ailerons aren't all that effective by themselves and need rudder input for coordinated turns.

As for the radio, I bought a Spectrum 6i when I shelved my FM radio and returned to flying via electrics. Since then I reactivated the FM transmitter with a modern receiver and crystal that has the plugins for the servos and ESC. Again, something to think about before jumping into a more modern radio if you are comfortable with what you already have. Got my setup, along with the servos, etc., at www.HeadsupsRC.com.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide and do.

"There is no such thing as paranoia. No. Not in the 21st century. Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
Super Contributor
Friends: (2)

Telemasters in general suffer "adverse yaw" and benefit from significant differential aileron throw.
You can do that mechanically or via computer radio if using one servo per aileron.

Easiest way to add ailerons is to just add on full span strip style, increasing wing area. For a micro, hinging the strips (balsa or foam) with tape works well.

As to the radio system... You'll find people recommending just about everything that is made. If you have never had a computer radio, then any decent 2.4 ghz system will be an upgrade.

Spektrum got the jump-start on everyone else, so there are a lot more of their products out there. Excellent customer service and warranty coverage.

JR recently split from Spektrum. They used to have a deal where <8 ch were Spektrum labeled and >8 were JR labeled. (and neither made an 8 ch) Both were using the Spektrum RF boards and JR made the boxes.
I haven't heard much about JR's new protocol...

Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics are all making good stuff.

Then there are some new brands showing up with FrSky becoming popular and gaining in reputation. I don't hear much about others except "Orange" and "Lemon" making aftermarket RXs compatible with other brands.

Whatever brand you choose, you'll need to pay attention to the protocol of the TX. You can't mix and match like was possible with many 72 mhz systems (just looking for + vs - shift and "channel" with the FM stuff)
Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Super Contributor
Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Just watch out for 2.4 kit that is really only has a 'park fly' safe range.
Most is much better now but some of the 'simple' rxs had a single aerial (the 2.4 aerial is very short anyway) which meant that it had significantly less range when in certain orientations relative to the transmitter - usually when flying directly away from you!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Community Moderator
View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Not sure how the wing is built compared to the larger ones but maybe get a copy of the plans for the 6ft Electro version and see if they match up. You could get an idea of how they intended for them to be built in it.

I would love to have my old 6ft Telemaster Electro back. Awesome plane to fly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tele.jpg (86.3 KB, 58 views)

Great Smoky Mountains National Parks newest Ranger!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft