Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
egrave1

Club: WAMAC
Friends: (0)
Default Balancing foamies

What is the best way to balance a mid wing foamie. I have a sbach342 and I am having a hard time balancing it. any suggestion

I try to delete this post but I don't know how
Old 09-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Domed rubber stops on ends of vertical rods set into a block.

Being mid-wing - you can balance her upright or inverted ... upright if no dihedral and truly mid, or inverted if dihedral and touch lower than mid height.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

For the maiden flight, balance it 1/4 of the way from the front leading edge on the main wing, it will be a tad nose heavy, but safe, then fly it and move the CG back a little at a time untill you find the sweet spot for your type of flying. new pencils with erasers work well to, set into a 2x6 piece of wood with the erasers pointed up.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
For the maiden flight, balance it 1/4 of the way from the front leading edge on the main wing, it will be a tad nose heavy, but safe, then fly it and move the CG back a little at a time untill you find the sweet spot for your type of flying. new pencils with erasers work well to, set into a 2x6 piece of wood with the erasers pointed up.
I agree with Chellie. IMHO, CG measuring jigs are of limited use. How the plane flies is more important than exactly where the CG is. 1/4 from the LE is good enough for the maiden. Put the plane in an 45 degree upline and flip it to inverted. Keep about 3/4 throttle and center the elevator. If it slowly drops its nose, you've found neutral CG. If it feels like a balloon and wants to raise the nose, you're tail heavy (not likely when you start at 1/4) and if the nose drops quickly you're nose heavy. Experiment until you have only a slight nose drop when inverted.

Some people (typically 3D pilots) like their planes slightly tail heavy. You'd typically see them trim the CG so that it doesn't drop the nose at all when inverted.

AMA #959089
Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Presumably the build instructions give a suggested balance point?.. if so i'd just balance it there unless you have reason to think the instructions are wrong. than fine tune as suggested above by flight testing.

As the process of actually balancing (which i believe was the question asked). For small to medium models i just use my finger tips.
On mid wing you probably wont get it to stay in the balanced position for long because it will want to tip one way or the other. But when you find the spot where it balances level for a few moments and then when it does tip is equally likely to tip forward or back, then you have found the balance point. Adjust the battery position until that balance location matches the CG position advised in the instructions. Millimetre precision isn't necessary, if in any doubt err on the side of having it slightly nose heavy, fine tuning comes in the flight test.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Battery below the wing while doing the balance check... Then CG will be below the wing and make balancing easier
Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Domed rubber stops on ends of vertical rods set into a block.
Nigel
My cheap balancer is a 2 X 4 with holes 1" deep for unsharpened pencils.

I prefer to leave the erasers flat so the plane will sit still, when the balance point is in the middle of the erasers.

When I find the CG to my liking, I glue 1/2" long pieces of round toothpicks at that point to the bottom of the wing, so I can check it easily at any time. I also outline my battery shape so I get in the right place every time.

I learned these steps, after taking off with a severely tail heavy plane, somehow I got it back with out damage, but that was the tightest snap roll I have ever seen.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I do9 have another trick for this ...

My T45's have a tube passed through fuselage for a suspended hook to fit ...

My Prkjet Speed machine has two tubes ... each set into leading edge of wing ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery27
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)
Default How to Balance an RC Airplane

Here is an article on the subject for you.
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/bal...airplanes.html
It pretty well covers it,and has a few pictures also.
Crash

Crashalott

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies