Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Club: AMA 919418
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (5)
Default ParkZone Radian sailplane

I was just thinking about wanting to get a beginner sailplane soon, just saw this up-and-coming release from ParkZone (PNP & RTF):

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4775

Looks to me like it may have the same BL 480 as the Trojan, under parts listing it's incomplete but shows the same replacement motor shaft. 30-Amp ESC w/switch-mode BEC though.

I would like to purchase the PnP as soon as I see some positive first impressions, I would likely add a AR6200, ParkBec, and appropriate Li-Po.

Just wanted to throw this out there, the only other model I was considering before is the Multiplex Receiver-ready Easy Glider Electric. I'm currently flying a HZ SuperCub (%100 stock at the moment), PZ T-28, and PZ Micro Citabria. This Radian looks like it may be a relaxing change of pace for me
Old 09-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Hey rider,
Welcome to Wattflyer. glad your here..
The radian looks like a pretty good plane from what I see. I'm sure there may be some folks who have had some experience with it and most likely they will be chiming in with some info. (or some similer aircraft)

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by *rider View Post
I was just thinking about wanting to get a beginner sailplane soon, just saw this up-and-coming release from ParkZone (PNP & RTF):

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4775

Looks to me like it may have the same BL 480 as the Trojan, under parts listing it's incomplete but shows the same replacement motor shaft. 30-Amp ESC w/switch-mode BEC though.

I would like to purchase the PnP as soon as I see some positive first impressions, I would likely add a AR6200, ParkBec, and appropriate Li-Po.

Just wanted to throw this out there, the only other model I was considering before is the Multiplex Receiver-ready Easy Glider Electric. I'm currently flying a HZ SuperCub (%100 stock at the moment), PZ T-28, and PZ Micro Citabria. This Radian looks like it may be a relaxing change of pace for me
It does have the same E-Flite Park 480 that are in the Trojan and the Corsair. Looks to me like it is PZ's answer to the MPX EasyGlider; same class and similar dimensions, though I think any EG kit you find will have a gear box. I'm pretty sure that the Easy comes with the aileron/spoileron option if you have a mixing radio, so there's goods and bads to both.

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Hey rider,
Welcome to Wattflyer. glad your here..
The radian looks like a pretty good plane from what I see. I'm sure there may be some folks who have had some experience with it and most likely they will be chiming in with some info. (or some similer aircraft)
Thanks for the welcome Airhead! I've learned a ton by following threads on this site for the past few weeks. Wish I had discovered it sooner, really glad such a great resource exists. Looking forward to contributing myself as I progress in this hobby

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
It does have the same E-Flite Park 480 that are in the Trojan and the Corsair. Looks to me like it is PZ's answer to the MPX EasyGlider; same class and similar dimensions, though I think any EG kit you find will have a gear box. I'm pretty sure that the Easy comes with the aileron/spoileron option if you have a mixing radio, so there's goods and bads to both.
Ahh, good points! I want brushless out of the box, it would be nice to have an aileron option though, and I plan to purchase either a DX6i or a DX7 soon as I can save up the $$, both for the future as I grow in this hobby, and also to convert my current RTF models. It just plain makes a ton of sense to me. I'll keep an eye on this bird until release and let you folks know if I pick one up & how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
FoamAir
OhmB1 Kenobe

Friends: (0)
Default Blizzard?

The multiplex Blizzard (or Buzzard I couldn't see very well) may be more what you want if you want to go brushless. As a Hotliner it's built to take more power and airframe stress than the EG or the Cularis.

I imagine you could do ailerons on just about any foam airframe if you're careful.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I have a report from a world class glider pilot that the Radian is pretty good. At least as good as the Easy Glider and maybe better.

As a glider pilot I think it looks very interesting.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I've flown a few of the 2 meter sailplanes and even larger, the Radian looks very promising, when your talking about precision performance some perhaps even better, but price increases etc, the Ukraine models are among the top of the list according to my friend who flys one, its indeed fantastic as the cost, around $400 to plus $600 - just the 2 meter entrys and is only the plane, but this Radian looks very nice, I've had tremendous luck with several of the Parkzone line, anxious on this one indeed...<>..BEST ..<>..
Old 10-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
boiko

Default Could Wing Flutter ever become an issue on the Radian..?

Now I fully realize that the Radian is neither a Hotliner, nor a Warmliner.

But since the foam Multiplex Blizzard has been experiencing significant wing flutter on rapid decent/dives...I just thought I would ask...

Is it safe to say that flutter should never be an issue with the Radian...even in high altitude dives. So far there are no video's showing any type of altitude dives. What would happen if you tried it....nothing..something.

Just curious...

Thanks,
-mike-
Old 10-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

The radian is not made for high speed flight or high speed dives. You might get flutter. Hard to say.

Flutter is often caused by play in a wing surface such as an aileron or flap. Since the radion has neither it might be less likely to flutter.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 10-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Default Quick update

Thanks for the feedback folks, I really am still anxious to fly one of these. I read on another forum that they are supposed to ship to hobby shops that pre-ordered next week.

I only make it to my LHS about every 3 weeks and forgot to ask the owner last time but I called him yesterday and he said all his pre-orders are spoken for, unless someone flakes I might have to wait a bit for more stock. I prefer to support his shop whenever possible. I did purchase an E-Flite Ascent 450 BL PNP a few weeks ago to put together, it's complete sans battery at this time. I don't plan to fly it until I have alot of experience with the Radian and I get access to a larger field.

So, back to assembling (2) SuperCubs from parts and fixing my T-28 for awhile. :o
Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I have been following reports on the Radian from people who have flown advanced editions and the reports are all good. I would say, if you are looking for an electric glider for thermal hunting, this should be a winner.

Note on the E-flite Ascent that some of them have come in with the brake disabled on the ESC. The purpose of the brake is to stop the prop from spinning which allows it to fold. If you don't stop the prop, it keeps spinning which creates a huge a mount of drag when you have the throttle off. The spinning prop kills the glide.

If you plan to fly it as an electric glider, make sure the brake is enabled and the prop stops when you turn the throttle off.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Can't wait for my Radian to arrive on pre-order, they look great, am flying a cheapo Ventura by Flyzone, amazingly did find some lift with this heay bird the other day but suddenly turns around on me, need loads of airspeed, fun flyer but above trainer due to its feaky nature and slightly fast, but fun, able to fly this one in smaller areas and just landed near my shoelaces, still its a strange ship tho, knock around plane its fun but too much for a raw newbie...

Radian should be a true thermal hunter, will need loads of space to fly these for comfort, friend of mine has a high performance 2 meter glider and it goes across a large field at 20 foot elevation forever, hi hi...

BEST ..<>..
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Default Good info!

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Note on the E-flite Ascent that some of them have come in with the brake disabled on the ESC. The purpose of the brake is to stop the prop from spinning which allows it to fold. If you don't stop the prop, it keeps spinning which creates a huge a mount of drag when you have the throttle off. The spinning prop kills the glide.

If you plan to fly it as an electric glider, make sure the brake is enabled and the prop stops when you turn the throttle off.

Thanks! This is good info on the Ascent. When I get the nerve to try it out and order the battery first thing I will do is ensure the ESC brake is enabled and that the prop stops at 0 throttle. That would be ultra-lame if I flew with the brake disabled
Old 10-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Awards Showcase

1kW 

phillipmorris I can't wait for you to get your Radian as well, so you can tell us all about it! What type / size area do you plan to fly for maiden? I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much space I will need compared to the small parks around here where I do great with the SuperCubs and have just enough room for the T-28 at near full throttle.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Listening in - I have an old 2M balsa built up EP (originally brushed with NICAD) but prefer the durability of foam due to the fields where I fly.

This one with BL and LIPO looks lite and durable.

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 10-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #16
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Still waiting...LHS has not received initial shipment and so far I am on backorder for the PNP. Booh.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
David Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby

Friends: (1)

RTF Radians are shipping to dealers today. Not sure when the PNP is going to ship.

I'm in China right now so it's hard to track down.

David Eichstedt
Old 10-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #18
blunight

Default Radian

Thank you for the information Mr. Eichstedt, I cant wait to see the look on my sons face when he sees it!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #19
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Finally received and flew my preorder Radian, wow, its everthing they say, tho only two brief flights, I have the RTF version, gads only had to insert the elevator and fasten, thats about it other than assembly of the two large main wing halves, this puppie is ready to go in a few short minutes so charge that battery right away...

Work etc, only time for two quick flights around 10 minutes, the glide on this one is very nice, its definitely a floater and should perform in light lift with ease...my maiden was with the battery all the way inserted, made it slightly tail heavy, after a short rollercoaster take off simple downtrim corrrected things, near zero winds, the sun yet to break the horizon but I only had time for this brief venture as had to make work...terrific flight, few short puffs of only 1/2 throttle she gently goes right up, very nice and predictable handling, the landing, you need room here, have flown gliders in the past so was prepared, but zig zagged alot more than expected for the eventual landing, you want some room here, dont crimp your quarters on the initial flights, it can float along ways prior to touch down...

Have that elevator flush or even slightly down, this one certainly doesn't require any up elevator whatsoever on my early test flights....pay attention on the COG and your ready to go....<>..

Just few hours ago had another brief flight as late in the day, this time with 5 to 10 MPH winds I placed the batterly slightly towards the nose, launch was straight out and no wing drops, I did nose down slightly to be safe and maintain airspeed on initial release, throttle was just over halfway but well under 2/3rds, she will go right up for you on minimal power, personally I'm not impatient and conservative, hi hi, anyway made elevation and even penetrated the stronger breezes with slight downtrim, very nice handling, this time the landing was much easier as breeze kept it from passing me, landed serveral feet short but gentle on contact, only a foot off the ground it wants to keep sailing, very nice ship here, they did a splendid job, excellent performer indeed...<>.. BEST ..<>..

If your a complete newbie I would strongly suggest a verteran flyer, as this one nears the higher performance level and with the brushless motor could see it doing a death spiral out of control with wrong sticks and with slower responses gliders have, makes it very easy to overcontrol...<>...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
Zapped

Default Ecstatic new Radian owner

Hi, first post here at WattFlyer. I got my Radian RTF last week & have to rave about it!

As background, I started as a novice flying glow fuel trainers back in 2000. I crashed, repaired, crashed again, then lost interest in glow. Tried a small 3ch electric in '02 & enjoyed it until my kiddo speck'd it out & we both lost track of it. Along came the ParkZone Vapor a few weeks ago & the world of LiPo opened it's arms to welcome me. I was hooked again.

So I pre-ordered the Radian RTF in mid-October & was pretty excited about receiving it. It arrived last week when I was out of town, so I just took it out for a maiden flight after work yesterday, then for a much longer flight this morning.

This plane is absolutely amazing. Maybe all gliders float like this lovely bird - but I've never been a glider pilot & I'm nuts about my new Radian. A twitch of the throttle and the plane leaps into the sky - it's almost out of sight in mere seconds. Then kill the throttle and you glide around for easily 10 minutes or more without needing to find a thermal. Down for a practice belly landing, or just kick in a tiny amount of throttle and fly it around the field maybe 10ft off the ground for a little bit before sending it skyward again.

A buddy of mine with a 3-D foam plane shot a few stills and some video this morning. The video is about 2 minutes long and covers the launch, a little in-flight, and a belly landing. The quality is only so-so since we just used my little Canon digital camera in video mode.

VIDEO: My ParkZone Radian over Austin, TX

Without finding any thermals I flew the plane through at least ten climbs to altitude and then glided around for a total flight time of about 1h20m. Had to get to work, but there was no noticeable dropoff in power even at the end.

The Radian is good-looking in the air, responsive, and well balanced. A minor point, but I love the magnetic catches on the canopy and underneath in the receiver/servo area - no plastic clips/tabs to snap off eventually.

This RTF kit provided everything I wanted - not just the plane, but a new 5ch Spektrum DSM2 transmitter/receiver (no more crystals & accidental shoot-downs - yippee!), a peppy brushless motor and speed controller, the perfect capacity LiPo battery, and a 3-cell balancing charger. Goodness gracious the parts & servos cost almost as much as the entire package price, so the plane is practically a freebie.

K u d o s to ParkZone / Horizon for putting together such a great kit. I'm one happy camper.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #21
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Sweet.

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 11-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #22
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Near 10 MPH and very gusty....

Radian will handle some winds, gusty early this morning, managed to get a flight with the ThunderBat, not too bad, but amazed the Radian went right up even with the gusts, launch the only issue in stronger breezes wanted to take it right out of my had if the wings tilted into the winds, but simple easy toss and occasional slight down nose at only half throttle she slowly made it up wind with an easy climb...still floated even with all the down trim going on to keep her steady, did another lift with slghtest throttle and let her drift again, last turned her down wind and lots of zig zag to lose altitude she still fought the wind enough to nearly pass me on the easy landing, careful keep things level as the nose rose a couple times prior to touch down, finally settled smoothly, again a great flyer...if your new to gliders, this one is a top entry choice, a true winner...BEST ..<>..
Old 11-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #23
Zapped

Originally Posted by phillipmorris View Post
Near 10 MPH and very gusty....
Radian will handle some winds, gusty early this morning, managed to get a flight with the ThunderBat, not too bad, but amazed the Radian went right up even with the gusts
Thanks, Phillip! You answered the next question I was going to ask. I punted on a dawn flight this morning because weatherunderground showed 8mph winds and it seemed gusty at my house. I'll have to give it a go tomorrow if it's 10mph or less.

I'll definitely try this in my very large field, starting on the upwind side of the field. That way if she gets away from me I'll have plenty of field to nose her in.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #24
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Go easy on winds at the start, something to get use to, its very easy for it to lift the nose and zip backwards on you during hand launch if your not prepared on the stick, make sure the battery is very slightly forward is not a bad idea for these conditions, if the winds are steady things are abit easier, my guess is this one will handle near 7 to 9 MPH winds rather well or even more depending on the pilots skill level...it will kite abit tho mine penetrated slowly on down stick and trim, but you lose altitude, however as this plane is a definite floater, it still flys for you...on landing don't go quite as far downwind but you do need to lose altitude, my favored is simple zig zag, later as she nears the ground with winds and or gusts the nose likely to pop up abit it will hang suspended before touching down, not unusual for it to hold supsended for several seconds, its not tuff here but be johnny on the stick as required when this low, keep those wings and the nose from lifting and she'll come right in for you...nice glider here..BEST ..<>..
Old 11-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #25
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

FLYING A GLIDER IN WINDY CONDITIONS

The Radian is an e-glider, but once you turn the motor off, it is a glider like other glidres. That means ballast might be useful if you are going to fly in windy condions.

When flying in 10 mph winds or higher with my Spirit 2M, RES sailplane, or my
Sagitta 600 2M RES, I find the planes hard to handle and they it won't
penetrate very well. Thermal hunting can be tough under these conditions.

Since the Spirit was my first sailplane, it was all I had to fly. Before I
started to play with ballast, I would have to skip windy days and resort to
flying my electric planes. But I really wanted to fly the Spirit. Even if I
braved the wind, it would be hard to handle and hard to land due to ground
turbulence. If I caught some lift, I would have to escape early or risk
getting stuck down wind.

I have found that if I add about 10% ballast, if I increased the overall
weight of the plane by about 10% I could start to get some positive effect.
My Spirit is about 38 ounces, so if I add about 4 ounces, the plane goes from hard to control
to a much more manageable plane that I can actually fly and land in some
wind.

Now, I am talking sport flying, not competition. The most I have ever put
in the Spirit is about 6 ounces. For competition purposes you might want to
put in more to be able to get better penetration.

Whatever you use for ballast, you want to place the ballast directly over
the CG so as not to change the CG of the plane. That was tough with the
Spirit as the servos sat there. However during a repair I moved the servos
forward. This had two benefits. It allowed me to remove 3 ounces of
balance weight from the nose. On lighter lift and lighter wind says, the
lighter plane flies better.

I then put in a Velcro loop directly over the CG. I use this to secure the
ballast. However I have used packing tape to secure ballast in this and
other planes. I have used battery packs, strips of lead or a tube of coins
as ballast. Anything that is heavy and can be secured in the plane will
work. Most people use lead in one form or another. Just make sure it is
secure. Having ballast shift in the air can turn a gentle flyer into a
handful in a hurry or make the plane totally unflyable, causing a crash.
Make sure it is secure!

Many people have thin walled brass or aluminum tubes that are filled with
light weight balsa or foam plugs. When they ballast, they replace some of
the foam
plugs with lead plugs. They put them in a sequence that will put the weight
over the CG. The more lead plugs, the more the ballast weight.

Be aware that when you ballast your plane you have increased the wing
loading so it will fly faster which is one of the ways it handles better in the wind.

Of course it is going to need to land faster too.

Get enough ballast into the plane and your floater can become a fairly fast
landing plane. Just be prepared for it. Also remember that the extra
weight will place extra stress on the fuselage when you land so a landing
angle that has worked fine all along might over stress a lightweight
fuselage.

If you winch launch it, be especially careful on the pedal as the extra
weight, combined with the wind, will place greater stress on the wings.
When I am launching in strong wind, I usually go lighter on the winch pedal
to reduce the stress AND to take advantage of the kite effect. You want the
wind to kite the plane up so you can pull in less line. If you balance it
right you will get a higher launch since there is more line to allow the
plane to go higher before you release or zoom the plane.

Give ballasting a try!.

It is best to play with it in a large field when the wind is up but not too
gusty. Run some launch and land drills and get a feel for the plane before
you start to venture out too far. Over confidence will cost you a plane or
at least a trip to the building table. With all that lead in its belly it
will fly differently. Be prepared for it.

There are many rules of ballasting that are quoted by pilots. Some will say
you have to increase wing loading 2 oz/sq foot to make a difference. Others
have told me that less than 20% of the plane's weight is meaningless.

Six ounces in my Spirit is about 15% of the plane's weight. I find it makes a
significant difference in my ability to fly in windy or gusty conditions.
Your experience may vary.

My Legend, at 80 ounces and about 13 oz/sq ft of wing loading has never
shown any need for ballast, even when I have flown it 20 mph winds. Every
plane is different and every pilot is different. Experiment and discover
what works for you whether you are trying to be more competitive, or just
trying to get in more fun flying time. When the wind is up, adding some
weight to your plane may allow you more flying time.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers

Tags
radian